180 gram

vardcore

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's supposed to keep vibrations down, but I feel it's almost just a classier way of presenting your favorite tunes. Not everyone is into classy stuff, so to each his own I suppose. And, if your going with 180 gram, why not make everyone happy with color and black. It's not that much more to do.

It's supposed to keep vibrations down, but I feel it's almost just a classier way of presenting your favorite tunes. Not everyone is into classy stuff, so to each his own I suppose. And, if your going with 180 gram, why not make everyone happy with color and black. It's not that much more to do.

My 180 gram records don't sound at all better than my normal weight records. I'm not sure how they're "classier" (again... marketing).

^it could be a marketing thing, but its like having a gatefold or a decent insert, just helps for a quality package. more than that though, my 180g records are all perfectly flat, whereas a large portion of my lightweight records seem at least slightly warped. im convinced that heavier is more durable in that way. not that the 'slightly warped' records dont play well, they do. its just peace of mind i guess.

You don't like the collectabililty of what partially make record collecting fun?

That didn't come out how I wanted it to. I like colored vinyl, I love collecting vinyl, I just hate when there are a shit ton of colors and everyone goes crazy for them causing a pressing to sell out immediately and leaving others scrambling around and ultimately having to pay too much money for a record they could've bought for $10 a week before. If everything was black, that would not be the case, because we all know the pretty colors sell out faster.

I'm actually a fan of the Fat Wreck model...a limited number on ONE color and the rest on black. That way, people who want to actually play it on vinyl can still get the record, while collectors can get the one that looks pretty and sounds the same (if not worse, because we all know black vinyl sounds better).

Coloured records aren't necessary, but that's what makes them fun. It's not necessary to wear a coloured t-shirt when you could just wear a black one...but that's what adds variety to this world. If all my records were black I'd get bored pretty fast. I want stupidly bright, whacky colours. It makes the experience more of a visual one for me.

I like colored vinyl too, I just don't like the collectability of it.

I don't think the t-shirt analogy works though...clothing (band shirts aside) is nowhere near as limited as records.

I think you're not getting what I'm saying, because I'm not talking about collecting t-shirts or anything...

I'm trying to say that although unnecessary things aren't needed, they make the world more interesting. Why have a black record / t-shirt / car when you could have a pink one? If everything was the same colour, it would be totally dull.

The colour isn't a vital part of the vinyl record, it just spices things up a bit.

few to none of us have set-ups that will let us hear any difference in quality between a colored and black record of the same weight.

Usually the grooves aren't any thicker on 180 Gram records, but they are way less likely to warp, and heavy records just feel better.

Good Model: 800 Black, 200 Color A

Good Model: 500 Black, 300 Color A, 200 Color B

etc...

Bad Model:

300 Black, 300 Color A, 300 Color B, 77, Color C, 50 Color D, 35 Color E, 20 Color F, 12 Color G, 7 Color H, 3 Color C with D and F Splatter.

If you couldnt tell, I was trying to remember pressing info for one of the recent Saves the day records done by cobraside. that pressing sucks.

Bad Model:

300 Black, 300 Color A, 300 Color B, 77, Color C, 50 Color D, 35 Color E, 20 Color F, 12 Color G, 7 Color H, 3 Color C with D and F Splatter.

If you couldnt tell, I was trying to remember pressing info for one of the recent Saves the day records done by cobraside. that pressing sucks.

and just about every no idea release? that model doesnt bother me, i think it is fun. then again, i dont collect variants, so i could see how it would be frustrating if you did.

Bad Model:

and just about every no idea release? that model doesnt bother me, i think it is fun. then again, i dont collect variants, so i could see how it would be frustrating if you did.

I think it's fun when the colours aren't just different shades of grey...I really like some of those inbetween presses.