Biggest (Musical) Disappointments of 2008

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with a lot of what was mentioned. Rise Against and Alkaline Trio have been on a steady downhill for a few years and in both cases I was hoping for a rebound but both only got worse.

Lagrecia wasn't as good as the first few songs suggested. A few of the songs even make me wish a turntable has a "skip track" button.

Death Cab's is pretty good, but not as solid as Plans. It has a few great songs though, so overall I'm ok with it.

Big step back for The Fear Before, and I hate the abbreviated name too.

I would like to add the Hold Steady. New album isn't nearly as solid as the last one.

Also, 31 Knots didn't really do it for me this year. Fortunately "It Was High Time..." got issued on vinyl so that's really all I need.

I also didn't think Ninja Gun was a good as Virgil made it out to be. I've been on the fence about buying that album since the mp3s first got passed out.

Even the new Portugal The Man couldn't keep me interested the whole way through.

the loved ones - build and burn

i'll just say, aside from the music being not all that great, it sounds like straight up demos. the vocals sound like its just some guy on the side making some noise and aren't really brought to the forefront. the bass tone just doesn't work, or have the same kind of punch that spider gave it. the guitars also seem sort of... i dont know. it's just missing the extra something. the parts that are quieter are not loud enough. god, where is the guitar in the first verse of 3rd Shift? they must be playing through tiny practice amps or something, because you can barely hear it.

and maybe we can talk about how absolutely ATROCIOUS, yet appropriate, their cover of Cocaine Blues was. i'm talking probably one of the worst songs ever recorded this year.

i was just thinking about getting that loved ones album, so i'm glad so many of you have said it sucks. now i can spend my money on h-jays down the street.

I think the Loved Ones album is great. Its different than Keep Your Heart. Its slower for the most part but I think its definitely a solid album. There are a couple songs in the middle of the record that arent that great but I love the record over all.

i was just thinking about getting that loved ones album, so i'm glad so many of you have said it sucks. now i can spend my money on h-jays down the street.

I think the Loved Ones album is great. Its different than Keep Your Heart. Its slower for the most part but I think its definitely a solid album. There are a couple songs in the middle of the record that arent that great but I love the record over all.

i agree, the only track i consider skipping over is 'Brittle Heart"

love the rest of it.

and yeah, that "Cocaine Blues" cover was horrible.

i agree, the only track i consider skipping over is 'Brittle Heart"

love the rest of it.

and yeah, that "Cocaine Blues" cover was horrible.

Yea Brittle Heart and the next song, Selfish Masquerade, are kinda boring songs but I loved the rest of it. Dear Laura is one of my top Loved Ones songs. That song sounds like it should have been on Keep Your Heart.

The new Offspring just sucks. I don't expect the world from them with each record, but they are usually good for a few awesome songs every album but this just wasn't the case this time around.

Bridge/Tunnel, The Tim Version and The Serious Geniuses all put out records this year that put me to sleep.

I thought Narrow Stairs and Build & Burn were both amazing.

Both made my top 10 for the year.

Rise Against - Appeal To Reason was kinda disappointing

Alkaline Trio - Agony & Irony

Im sure there are others Im forgetting

I feel like Alk3 and R.A. exceeded expectations, they might not have been the best, but i was pleasantly suprised.

my pick is the ben nichols solo. Lucero is my favorite band, but it loses something for me when he's not talking about girls and drinking

I know it leaked, but I'm fairly certain the Ben Nichols album comes out next year, and thus isn't a 2008 disappointment. Eh?

I wasn't disappointed with too much. Alkaline Trio and Rise Against lived up to expectations, so I can't really say they disappointed me, since I wasn't expecting anything special.

I never liked the Loved Ones until I heard the new record. Since then I went back to buy their previous catalog. I think their newest album is their strongest.

How can you be disappointed with the new Death Cab? Did you hear "Plans"? It wasn't great. Bands like DCFC, Jimmy Eat World, Mogwai, Sigur Ros, Alkaline Trio, etc are probably only going to continue to rehash and water down their previous efforts. You can enjoy it for what it is or continue to be disappointed.

The new Offspring just sucks. I don't expect the world from them with each record, but they are usually good for a few awesome songs every album but this just wasn't the case this time around.

Totally. The new Offspring record is TERRIBLE. Not to mention the cover art and layout look like a 4th grader made them. Who the fuck uses a stencil font on a major-label rock record?

My Morning Jacket--Evil Urges (wish it wasn't the first album of theirs i bought on vinyl. d'oh!)

so much of a change from Z and It Still Moves. :(

after seeing pics of A Skylit Drive's vinyl, i was saddened to find out the girl on the cover art wasn't the singer of the band but instead a bunch of hot topic dudes were. the singer could have almost passed for a woman with the vocals! the vinyl turned out great, bummer!

Totally. The new Offspring record is TERRIBLE. Not to mention the cover art and layout look like a 4th grader made them. Who the fuck uses a stencil font on a major-label rock record?

[image]

???