Venting on Flooding

in this thread... serious business.

people have got to realize that ebay is the prime example of free market. with the exception of BIN's.. everything sells for what the market will bear... theres no consideration for what someone else is selling.. because maybe the market for said item is only one buyer... why should they miss their shot at that buyer and let you make out? Its like.. is virgil not going to sell a record because interpunk does?

so if someone needs money now, they should wait to list an item if someone else is selling the same thing?

I don't really see how it is disrespectful. it's more or less a business, eBay, the point of it is to make money, if a record is listed and going for a ton of money, why wouldn't someone else try and get some money if they don't care that much for the record.

eBay has always been a free-for-all. Why should I wait to list my record just because you have yours up? If I saw that particular record doing well in an auction-style listing, it would prompt me to throw mine up also in the hopes of it doing just as well or even setting a BIN (as it seems those other sellers did) for an amount I'd be happy with.

Bitching and moaning about this is like screaming at a mountain to move. Pointless.

not to mention flooding benefits the people who actually want a copy of the record :)

Exactly. Forgot to mention that as well.

If I'm watching your auction and it ends for a lot more than I was willing to pay...but lo and behold, some other seller has the record for BIN amount I was willing to pay, you know I'm grabbing it.

Yeah...flooding may suck for the sellers b/c they won't get as much as they would want for that particular record b/c there are plenty of others out there...but the buyers are the ones who definitely come out on top here.

It's also smart to not immediately flip records to make a quick buck, because if you have dollar signs in your eyes, odds are several other people do too. That's when the flooding happens...a new record sells out fast, one person lists one on ebay and it sells for a bundle, several other people think they can get that much for it, so 10 more pop up on ebay.

While I don't care about people flipping, if you're going to do it, be smart about it if you actually want to make some money.

it just seems like a common courtesy to me. maybe i'm wrong. but i waited to unload this copy (offered it on here at a fraction of the price) and then people upload their copy to ebay. i know this sounds like a greedy bitchfest, because it is, but it just lacks in ettiquette, that i would expect...simply b/c i follow by it to help others make the most bang for their buck.

thus being said, i understand how this is great for the buyers, so bid!

Why would you expect people you don't know to be courteous to you? Everyone wants to make a buck.

exactly my point. then do the knowledgeable thing and list when there are none for sale...then you have a bit of a rarity on your hand where you will get all the bids, rather than have them split up upon 2-3 auctions.

You have to clarify what record you're talking about before we can discuss the rarity...if it's something that was easily available from a distro or a label within the past couple of months, rarity does not come into play at all because you know ebay will be flooded with them soon.