Subsitute Teaching

I did it for a little while to try and get a foot in the door for a full-time teaching position. But the demand for new teachers here right now is non-existent, so I decided to do more school instead of relying on sub work. It is a pretty nice job at times, but I found it way too inconsistent and unstable for my liking.

i start my student teaching stuff in the next year or so. hopefully they decide history and government teachers are needed. its not looking good right now unless i decide to go into special ed. even the substitute jobs are becoming non-existant. in a perfect world my dad would retire and i'd step in and no one would notice. they'd just think "oh cool, mr medina is back for another year."

One substitute in my school district has a Facebook group dedicated to him. It's got thousands of members. He's the funniest/oldest guy I've ever seen teach.

Sounds like my favorite sub from my old school district. He's this sweet old man who has a Mister Roger's like essence to him and everyone loves him to death. We made a Facebook group for him too.

Around here subs get paid $100/day on the low end with some districts in the area paying as high as $135/day. Seems like a pretty good gig if you can put up with a bunch of punk ass kids. You basically work 7-3, whenever you choose and get paid OK money for what is essentially nothing more than babysitting. I thought about getting into it last year and took the CBEST but then I got my job that I'm currently in and haven't given it any thought since then.

I might still go back to school and get my credentials to teach special education, although I'm not sure yet.

Natalie is going to be subbing next year while finishing her Masters degree. I hate how coaches in high school take history teaching positions. such bullshit. they generally dont give a fuck, like every history teacher I had, and are just waiting for the next basketball/football/baseball game to go coach.