NOFX - Frisbee LP/Strung Out LP up at Fat Wreck

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all saw this day coming eh

Hopefully a lot of people bought it and are just taking an early listen.

Do you guys ever try to figure how much you lose when a high-profile album like this one leaks?

do you really think that's even relevant anymore? every single album leaks these days. The same people will buy it whether it leaks or not because one way or another it will leak on its release date and they will get it faster through a leak than purchasing it.

Hopefully a lot of people bought it and are just taking an early listen.

Do you guys ever try to figure how much you lose when a high-profile album like this one leaks?

do you really think that's even relevant anymore? every single album leaks these days. The same people will buy it whether it leaks or not because one way or another it will leak on its release date and they will get it faster through a leak than purchasing it.

Which part are you trying to say is irrelevant? The amount of money lost or the leak being downloaded by people who bought the album?

And, yes, both are still relevant because both result in losses for the label and in turn give them less money to put toward future releases.

I'm just curious to see if Fat has someone that tracks leaks and attaches a dollar figure to it. Think about it as loss prevention for a retail store. Stores know a certain amount of items are going to be stolen and they have figures that illustrate that.

I would also hope that people who download the leak bought the album. I don't download anything unless I already have it on vinyl or have pre-ordered the vinyl. I'm not a try then buy kind of person, I'm more of a buy then try. If I don't like what I get, I delete the files and sell/trade the record.

So, what you're saying is that if Fat Wreck, a label that you support, loses money it's irrelevant. I'm just making sure I'm reading what you said correctly.

i like it. Eddie, Bruce and Paul could go though.

and hickey, i doubt Fat is hurting for money. it's take me purchasing 500,000 lp's just to cover what mike just sold his house for.

1. Eddie, Bruce and Paul is amazing if you have a love for old metal (both in sound and subject matter).

2. I never said Fat was hurting for money, but I was curious if they determine what leaks/illegal downloads cost them for a release like this. And Fat Mike's home really has nothing to do with how much Fat Wreck as a business has in the bank. Regardless, you're starting an argument around something I didn't say.

Which part are you trying to say is irrelevant? The amount of money lost or the leak being downloaded by people who bought the album?

And, yes, both are still relevant because both result in losses for the label and in turn give them less money to put toward future releases.

I'm just curious to see if Fat has someone that tracks leaks and attaches a dollar figure to it. Think about it as loss prevention for a retail store. Stores know a certain amount of items are going to be stolen and they have figures that illustrate that.

I would also hope that people who download the leak bought the album. I don't download anything unless I already have it on vinyl or have pre-ordered the vinyl. I'm not a try then buy kind of person, I'm more of a buy then try. If I don't like what I get, I delete the files and sell/trade the record.

So, what you're saying is that if Fat Wreck, a label that you support, loses money it's irrelevant. I'm just making sure I'm reading what you said correctly.

i think you're missing the point. i don't think any money is lost because of the way today's society views new albums. There is no chance that if i didn't completely support NOFX (which i do) i would buy this album. What is the advantage to buying the album? there is a 0% chance i will receive the music faster by buying the album so the only advantage is having a physical copy (which isn't worth much to me). Why do you think NOFX is losing any money from people downloading it? those people would've never bought the album, even if they had to wait until the release date they still would've just waited until then to download an illegal copy?

is that clearer? i'm just not sure how in todays time a leak will negatively affect sales. the only instance is if something leaks before any kind of pre-order is up. because if this had leaked before i pre-order and i hated it i wouldn't have pre-ordered it when it did go up. that would be the only case where i wouldn't have bought this.

i think you're missing the point. i don't think any money is lost because of the way today's society views new albums. There is no chance that if i didn't completely support NOFX (which i do) i would buy this album. What is the advantage to buying the album? there is a 0% chance i will receive the music faster by buying the album so the only advantage is having a physical copy (which isn't worth much to me). Why do you think NOFX is losing any money from people downloading it? those people would've never bought the album, even if they had to wait until the release date they still would've just waited until then to download an illegal copy?

is that clearer? i'm just not sure how in todays time a leak will negatively affect sales. the only instance is if something leaks before any kind of pre-order is up. because if this had leaked before i pre-order and i hated it i wouldn't have pre-ordered it when it did go up. that would be the only case where i wouldn't have bought this.

Ok. So you're saying that every person who was planning on buying some kind of physical copy still will do so regardless of downloading the album. Additionally, you're saying that the people who didn't buy the album, but downloaded it, had no intention of buying it any way, so no money is lost. I see your points. I disagree with them.

i like it. Eddie, Bruce and Paul could go though.

and hickey, i doubt Fat is hurting for money. it's take me purchasing 500,000 lp's just to cover what mike just sold his house for.

Fat Mike's home really has nothing to do with how much Fat Wreck as a business has in the bank.

exactly. i am so sick of people talking about fat mike being rich/having/had a huge house! wowwwww!

Personally I think it's ridiculous that people's enjoyment of music should be based on the amount of money they have. I don't download frequently, but I do feel that if I've ordered a record and let's say it doesn't have a download code I should be able to download it without there being such a huge fuss. If I gave them my money then I don't see what the issue is.

I'm actually more suprised that bands/labels that are against downloading (which I feel is fair because at the end of the day they are a BUSINESS) aren't against the idea of places/people selling used copies of their records. I doubt bands get anything from the sale of one of their used cd's or records so I'm sure this cuts into a good amount of their revenue as well. I know it's not the same thing, but if this is causing the business to lose money wouldn't they take a stand against this too?

I'm not trying to add any fuel to the fire, but I'm posing a question I've had for a while.

There has been a fight going on for years over re-selling. Labels fucking hate that practice.