else

document.write('+':s7ak6o5i]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

the first time i heard smashing pumpkins' "mellon collie and the infinite sadness" made me completely look at music differently. granted, i was 8 and a half years old, but i knew it was something beautiful and pure and like nothing else i had ever heard before.

string arrangements, piano instrumentals, hard rock, screaming, whispering... just an amazing range of sounds/styles. it didn't stick to any single genre, and every song was just so great.

the album that put me on the path i'm currently on, though, was "goddamnit" by alkaline trio.

For me, it was in elementary school. I had a pretty tumultuous childhood but none of the music my friends listened to reflected how I felt inside. All their music was happy and great and beautiful and you'll love and be loved, but that stuff didn't jive with how I saw the world. I thought I was pretty much on my own in my way of thinking until I heard Bad Religion's "infected" and "incomplete". From there I kept finding more bands and music that recognized that life isn't some sort of happiness pie - there's pain, hurt, anger, regret, but there was also the optimism of knowing you're not on your own in this massive clusterfuck.

Guest smccown13

My best friend is a fucking genious...here is his answer to my question about the atdi video...and he is fucking sober...

no fuckin doubt it was a revelation...in the horrid fog of fuckin terrible rap-rock and nu metal these motherfuckers came out of nowhere with their outdated fros and unrehearsed live sets and blew my mind...they fuckin introduced some of the most raw, and backwards ass music compared to what the fuck was going on at that time...even though the genre was well developed and had many suitors they came out and relentlessly forced their music down the mtv kid's throats so that everyone could wake up out of that shitty slumber of papa roach and korn...Jesus to this day it was the greatest thing Ive ever seen....i couldn't believe these spics were being so punk and i couldn't turn away ever since..it definitely changed our lives...that's why when we laugh at those kids who still wear those baggy pants and tight shirts who love fuckin tool too much it's because they didn't see what we did...it just gave you a taste of whats out there and made you want to eat more...i pity those who didn't share that same feeling of "holy shit, imagine what i don't know!" or " Goddamn this is fuckin nuts and looks so fun!"

when i was twelve this super hot chick that was like seventeen moved across the street from me. being the shithead i am, i instantly made friends with her doushe bag brother and actually hung out at their house to get in with them. turns out their dad was a NWO maniac and very southern baptist, which makes no sense to me and their grandfather was in world war two, had alzheimer's, walked around the neighborhood telling the children about all the whores he had sex with overseas and im pretty sure he had lost some of the use in his tongue. picture father time talking like donald duck and telling stories about gutting nazis and fucking whores to children.

all this doesnt seem like it matters but im just showing you guys how determined i was to sit through the nonsense to get to know this girl at twelve years old. turns out she was sort of nu-metal which i never could get into, even at such a young age. at this point i was already into mxpx from "access tv" and guttermouth from some bike messanger game on ps1 if anyone remembers that.

anyway, she let me hear afi's "very proud of ya" and that was the breaking point for me. after that i never looked at music the same and i never got further than making out with said chick, although i felt accomplished from that alone.

shortly after this i was playing guitar and going to see shows. the first small/local show i went to was sloppy meateaters, ludacris(norma jean when they wanted to be the deftones), the skadoodles, cool hand luke and some band called payback who were a pretty good pop-punk band with fight club themes("i am joe's broken heart." was the name of their demo if i remember right. the first big show i went to was mxpx, slick shoes and good charlotte (they were nobody then, no released music or anything, it was like '99. good ole days.

My friend and I went to go see the movie "the Chase" w/charlie sheen. At the end there was this awesome song called "please play this song on the radio" we found out it was NOFX, went to Tower Records on Pleasant HIll road in Duluth, GA and picked up a copy of White Trash, two heebs and a bean for $7.99 on Cassette and listened to it non stop for two weeks. That got me into the punk rock and changed my life forever. Seriously.

i was into shitty mall punk and shit which i guess got me into more punk stuff. blink 182 is an obvious one, but i really never knew what good music was until i heard LATTERMAN. when no matter where we go..! came out it changed the way i viewed music, and honestly changed my fucking life. that band is so fucking amazing.

also, bouncing souls!!!!

when I was a freshman in high school, a very small high school (about 400 people total), and there was this one really punk girl, mohawk, leather jacket, pins, etc. somehow we became friends and she made me a mix tape with all this ramones style punk rock on it. changed my life. I saw her a few years ago, and now she only listens to Selena, that was a bummer.

this is pretty cool, reading these little "how i found punk" stories. nu-metal kids definitely cant do this...

"one day, when i was like 15, i was sittin on the couch and shit, hating life and then this fucking asshole with dreads and an eye brow came on mtv and was talking bout how hes got the life and shit. next thing i know there is some tight ass bass lines and the guy playing them has cornroles and then the other guy came back on and hes making all these cool noises with his mouth like: "em-dot-bu-dot-be-gee-da" but not like that other gay band that makes noises like mmm-bop. and then they all start bowing up and down really fast with their guitars with the music and guess what, they are better than everyone cuz they play seven string guitars. they are so kewl. they wear the biggest pants i have ever seen and they all have cool hair and tight shades. their name is korn and they changed my life forever with their music and songs about rape, child molestation, and fruitfulness with loose women."

Mine was in a skatepark when I was 10 yrs old. We could bring in tapes and they would play it over the PA of the place. One day just skatin' along and then this song comes on and I just stopped and was like "wha? this is awesome" I go find the dude who I knew had put this tape in and asked him about it. It was Bad religion against the grain. The song that stopped me was flat earth society. I still love the song and Bad religion to this day is one of my favorite bands. All this was almost 20 years ago, and I'm glad it happened.

I think mine would be like middle school and listening to Bauhaus and stuff like that. then around 8th gradeish i got into alot of christian punk. didnt go to church at the time oddly enough, just thought it was a rad scene. Went to my first show which was incredible. it was like a 2 day fest in florida. with like element 101, zao, dogwood, hangnail, philmore, and a crapload of others. i dont remember much about it but that was amazing.

through middle school i was into RATM and other stuff like that, still enjoy it to this day. one day this girl i was friends with introduced me to a few alkaline trio songs off of from here to infirmary. i was like huh, this is pretty cool and i started checking out more alkaline trio on napster, and subsequently kaaza. then i discovered the gem that is goddamnit. that was it. i was pretty much done. i knew that in any of those songs i could find so much meaning, they were so much more cathartic than a rage against the machine song. for a 13 year old kid, some girl bumming you out is much more probable than changing the world and fighting the system.

Guest naytoid

Some years ago I stumbled across these three albums in a pawn shop. I picked them up because I had heard of these bands, but I'd never listened to them (After la listen I realised there were several songs I knew from various other things) and plus, they were about $2 each:

Primus - Sailing the seas of cheese

Punk-O-Rama vol. 2

Devo - New Traditionalists

That was about 7-8 years ago and I've been grateful ever since.

Old jaded fucker here...As far back as I can remember I've always had an eclectic taste in music. I'm all over the map...for the most part. I grew listening to what was accesible at the time from radio and MTV...hip-hop, hair metal, etc...it wasn't until we moved to Louisville, KY in '87 or so that I really opened my ears to music. A friend who was also into metal, lent me his CD copy of Jane's Addiction "Nothing's Shocking"...this blew my mind...it was everything I was into and more. At the time I couldn't believe it was real because I didn't think music that intense and passionate could be made.

But the real turning point in my music taste or path was going to my first hardcore show. I can't recall the full line-up but the main draw was Endpoint. I was floored. It was music I could relate to and also feel that it meant something. My first pit experience was at that show as well. From then on I dove headfirst into hardcore and punk. But at the same time I also expanded my musical experience by delving into other genres as well...mainstream and underground.

So you could say that Jane's Addiction and Endpoint got me into all the music I'm into now...

When i was in junior school, probably about 10 or 11 i remember one kid in the year above having Offspring's Smash on cassette, i thought it was the coolest thing i'd ever heard. That really started me off down the path of rock music, i can still remember the room i was in when i first heard Bad Habit.

I grew up listening to Garth Brooks and classic rock. My best friend liked Guns n' Roses and had cable (I didn't). I remember watching MTV at his house when I was 12 and seeing the video for Smashing Pumpkins' "Tonight, Tonight." I had an epiphany: the drum rolls in the chorus, the weird voice, a girl bassist, and it was just so operatic. I thought there were 40 people in that band. I went out and bought Mellon Collie the next time I went to the store. It was my first "rock n' roll" album and I played it all summer long and all through high school. That lead to Nirvana and Pearl Jam, a brief and ill-advised forray into Korn and Limp Bizkit, back to grunge. Growing up in a small town we didn't get too much culture, so I didn't really hear indie rock or punk until college. My friend played me "Third Planet" by Modest Mouse, "The Martyr" by Cursive, and that's where I'm at today.

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':y7o2018p]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':y7o2018p]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

I had a cousin who was into DRI and Anthrax. The first "punk" record I heard was the 22 song 7" by Anthrax.

Then I got into metal for awhile. Joined the military and went to El Paso, Texas. Met a guy in AIT from California, he got me into The Offspring, Bad Religion and the like. Started going to shows out there right before I left, most famously saw an early ATDI show.

Came back to Florida and found Hot Water Music. First show back in Florida was HWM at DIY Records, which held about 70 people comfortably, so naturally about 120 people were inside.

The first album I went absolutely batshit over was Propagandhi--Less Talk, More Rock when I was 14. I fucking read the liner notes over and over and over. Then I started making up these little political pamphlets and handing them out at school. I sent one to Chris Hannah and he sent me a nice handwritten reply saying basically, "keep up the good fight." You can read about that experience in the Propagandhi interview linked in my sig.