Hey Virgil, you should sign the Aquabats! !

Uhh... haven't these guys ever heard of self-released records? They act like if some label doesn't sign them they have to quit. What a sad mentality that must be.

I think that people sometimes tend to forget, especially in a DIY minded community, that not everybody has the money, knowledge, skill, desire, etc. to actually do everything themselves. Sure, there are a lot of small labels and bands out there DIY-ing it, and that's great. But these people usually have day jobs to pay for their necessities and the projects they are funding.

A band like The Aquabats, I imagine, do not have day jobs to fund a release. That's not to say that they couldn't find the money/make the money/get the money somehow, but perhaps that they just wouldn't want to do that.

So no, it's not a sad mentality on their part.

Some of the dudes in The Aquabats are the creators and occasional stars of Yo Gabba Gabba! and that is a pretty huge show on Nick Jr. I imagine they would have some money to do stuff themselves.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're in your mid-late 30's and in a successful quasi ska/weezer rock or whatever the fuck they're doing without horns band and you wear costumes and have elaborate costumed characters and "other cast members" you pay to fill those roles and you can't come up with $2,000.00-$5,000.00 to record and release a fuckin CD, then you need to quit.

the aquabats aren't mormon.

MC Bat Commander is.

While it's true that he was raised that way, I'm not sure he's a practicing Mormon anymore. He has some pretty left leaning views and after the whole prop 8 debacle, I wouldn't be surprised if he wrote the church off. That's all speculation though, I know the dude's pretty progressive.

Uhh... haven't these guys ever heard of self-released records?

Wasn't "Yo, Check Out This Ride!" self released?

Hell if I know, I was only commenting on the fact that they "need" a label. I've only heard a couple songs by these guys and I remember it being awful. This is not a band I have any interest in hearing.

My point is missed.

Regardless of who you are, how successful you may or may not be (and unless you are in The Aquabats or closely affiliated with them, I don't think you have the insight to say that they do or do not have enough money to do anything), the thing is : Maybe they just don't want to do all that stuff. Why is that so bad?

If I put it another way: Say you're in a band, and everythings going well and dandy. Then there's some line up changes and stuff, and you're not really happy with the people you're around or the music you're making, and you decide to leave and do other things with your life (musical or otherwise). Would we be judging you this way? Calling you "such a rockstar" for leaving just because you don't want to put up with those things?

Granted, this is an imperfect analogy. But it illustrates my point somewhat: Who cares if they CAN do it. It's whether or not they WANT to do it that's the issue.

they really need to call it quits, their novelty wore off a long time ago. Do they even have a horn player anymore?

When I saw them last, their keyboardist pretended to play sax during a few older songs.

Edit - This is when he wasn't fighting off the Powdered Milk Man, or the CD Repo Man.

i am working on contacting them. i love the shit out of the aquabats.

1) at their first CT show, the bat commander introduced a song " this is a song by a band that makes a whole lot more money than us, and flood is going to sing it to you"... and he throws the mic at me.. and i sang damnit ... with travis barker drumming.

2) at their 2nd CT show i got to be a costumed villian (aka the fattest lizard ever) and got to give the commander an airplane spin while the basist clubbed me with his bass... it was totally unrehearsed and ridiculous.