Gaslight live at park ave. BR7"

I own Sink or Swim and think it's a pretty decent record, some good songs but I hardly ever listen to it. I was not into The '59 Sound at all, just can't get into it. I definitely don't know where all the hype comes from.

St Alvia Cartel

Isn't this the band that had some Grade members or something? If so, they are pretty terrible.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I think live records are just a gimmick and kind of useless in the first place (after all isn't that the whole point of going to see a band live ?) I think you're opinion is a bit biased f.t.w. seeing as you seem to pretty much hate them

the purpose of a live record is to show fans who have never seen that band live how they sound and act live. its like being there without being there. buying a live record of a band you have never heard of or dont like is stupid. so is buying a live record to get into a band cause it usually dosent work. its for the fans.

I'm an old dude who's listened to Bad Religion for longer than most of the people reading this have probably been alive.

I listened to "59 Sound" assuming to hate it, but I ended up really liking it. It's a great album. It's derivative and somewhat repetitive, but a lot of great albums are.

That being said, to say that the Bad Religion 7" is mediocre to defend the Gaslight Anthem is foolish.

I'm an old dude who's listened to Bad Religion for longer than most of the people reading this have probably been alive.

I listened to "59 Sound" assuming to hate it, but I ended up really liking it. It's a great album. It's derivative and somewhat repetitive, but a lot of great albums are.

That being said, to say that the Bad Religion 7" is mediocre to defend the Gaslight Anthem is foolish.

-1 for being an old dude. and tomorrow you get a +1 for having the same idea as me this afternoon. Creep.

-1 for being an old dude. and tomorrow you get a +1 for having the same idea as me this afternoon. Creep.

-1 for -1ing me.

I think sink or swim is probably top ten records of all time for me. Something about it really connects with where I'm at in life. Senor and the queen I liked as well, maybe not as much as sink or swim though. The 59 sound was a step in the wrong direction in my opinion. I do like the album, but just doesn't seem to have the passion sink or swim did. It was like, let's make 12 songs about girls I made up, cars I've never driven and jobs I've never worked. Obviously I know none of this personally and maybe he has met every girl he has ever mentioned in a song, but yeah. I'm anxious to hear what they do next, but I'm really losing interest in the band as they hit the mainstream more and more and start to cater to that. My only time seeing this makes me stand behind those statements even more...

Oh, I didn't think you were closed minded, but it just seems like a live release by a band who's studio albums you couldn't dig seems like a weird choice to see if you had been missing out on something from them. To each their own though, right?

never seen em live. thought it could be a band that might be better live. i was wrong and off by lightyears. if this is how they are live i would be bored as shit at a show. seein them on TV wasn't a very good insight of how they would sound. i love death cab but on tv live they sound like shit.

and yes to each their own.

i was wasn't trying to start anything....i was looking for opinions on what people thought of this record.....

I was at the in-store performance when they recorded the 10", they played later that night at the House of Blues in Orlando too. The point to the set at the in-store was to play the slower softer songs that they really couldn't play due to their set being short opening for Rise Against. These songs aren't really a great representation of what the band does live.

You really should check them out live when they come through your area, they'll play a longer set, and they'll play the rockin' tunes.

Gaslight Anthem uses too much echo on their vocals. That bugs me, so I don't like their records. But it's not like they're the worst thing in the world. Just not my cup of tea.

That's literally just the last record. And I couldn't agree more. It really took away a lot from the album.

As for "worst album of the last 15 years", holy hyperbole Batman! I could name 10 albums that came out in the last 4 months that were worse. It's not one of my favorites but it's at least got some heart.

Gaslight Anthem uses too much echo on their vocals. That bugs me, so I don't like their records. But it's not like they're the worst thing in the world. Just not my cup of tea.

i actually loved that about the 59 Sound. it was something different and interesting, compared to albums put out by their peers. overall, i really liked the way the record sounded. i think the songs on that album are the best they've done, in my personal opinion. i do think they deserve the recognition they're getting, but i agree that some people overreact a bit.

Not the biggest gaslight fan, good show live and the records are good. If I was like 19 again I would be all about them. I can see why they get the love they get, people just like to hate.

As for comparing them to BR, which which I will admit is my all time fav band, is just silly...they are too far removed from each other.

I don't give a shit about hype. Records are good or bad. Just because they're popular doesn't make them better or worse.

That being said you don't listen to enough music if you think thats one of the worst records of the last 15 years.

well we must be in the same boat, cus just by looking at your trade list we like about 90% of the same music.

so i think you just assumed as to what i like. o well!

I don't give a shit about hype. Records are good or bad. Just because they're popular doesn't make them better or worse.

That being said you don't listen to enough music if you think thats one of the worst records of the last 15 years.

well we must be in the same boat, cus just by looking at your trade list we like about 90% of the same music.

so i think you just assumed as to what i like. o well!

I make no assumptions as to what you like dude. If anything I was making an assumption to how much you listen to stuff you don't know you're going to like. If you tried to listen to a wider range of shit you would quickly become aware of the billion or so records released in the last 15 years that are worse than 59 sound. Personally looking at your list I dont see how you wouldn't at least kind of like 59 Sound but regardless of if you do or not stating its as bad as you seem to think suggests a lack of understanding how bad shit really is out there. Shoot me your address and I'll send you a box with the flood of shitty records I got sent to review last week alone, let alone since i was in 5th grade.

Gaslight are great dudes and a solid band, but this thread needs more praise/talk about how awesome Bad Religion's first 7" is.

Also, please sell/trade me all three RSD variants... ? :)

is howed my wife your BR collection, she flipped! it's one of her fav bands. she is a music ed major and she wrote a paper about bad religion, D. inferno, the 80's, and ronold regan.....it came out amazing.....it focused more on how could hell be any worse. she had contacted a bunch of dudes that were kinda young/getting into the LA punk scene at the time....talked with russ from only crime...(they work at the same mall) and he helped a ton.

anyways.....we are both excited to have this....seein as getting an OG copy is not on our top records to buy. i hope you find all 3 colors!

Just listened to the live Gaslight record.

Meh.

It's nothing special -- the songs don't necessarily have that "live" feel to them, so there wouldn't be much reason to listen to them over their studio counterparts.

exactly. the band sounds live but doesnt have much energy. not to mention the instruments sound kind of dull. brian just sings some things differently, and that's about it. not worth the fuss that has been caused by its release. hahaha