quick question...

Seam splits happen otherwise:

[image]

Adding a cardboard slab or other insert material will help things from moving and hence could decrease the chance for this. Shipping outside of a cover (but still inside the inner [assume unprinted] sleeve, which itself in the poly bag) is what I do to ensure that the record won't bust of the cover.

Guest baseball

I don't really see the big deal with seam splits. Half the stuff I get through mailorder or in-store has seam splits to begin with, even if it's sealed. Is what it is.

Only bothers me if it's a nice sleeve with artwork, etc.

I don't really see the big deal with seam splits. Half the stuff I get through mailorder or in-store has seam splits to begin with, even if it's sealed. Is what it is.

Only bothers me if it's a nice sleeve with artwork, etc.

If you (in the plural sense) don't care, fair enough. Just don't go ruining it for the rest of us and telling labels you hate it when they ship outside of the cover.

For me, there is (almost) no excuse for a new record to show up with split seams, it shows a lack of pride by the label.

never seen them shipped this way before. sounds like more of an anal retentive thing.

personally i think it's an urban legend... :)

I have rec'd only a tiny, tiny fraction of LPs shipped this way and I can't say I've ever seen a jacket seam split from shipping. The inner sleeve sure, but not the jacket.

Shipping in the inner sleeve outside the jacket would seem to increase the chance of inner sleeve seam splits too.

I've only shipped vinyl this way if specifically asked to do so or on stuff that went for super insane high prices, just in case...

I've had similar exp. w/ the extra cardboard insert. Only get them pretty rarely, so I only send them out on the super expensive stuff.

I've never heard any complaints about stuff I've shipped in standard LP/7" mailers or flattened priority boxes.

So it doesn't the split the shit outta the spine during shipping.

but if its shipped inbetween card board, in a mailer, shouldnt it be fine?....just asking

If you pack the shit out of your records like I do, it's unlikely that you'll have a problem. I make it so that the sleeve/record can't budge at all in the package. That being said, I started shipping them outside of the sleeves a couple years back because despite my best efforts, I suppose anything could happen once it leaves my hands. The post office could fuck up a steel ball.

never seen them shipped this way before. sounds like more of an anal retentive thing.

personally i think it's an urban legend... :)

I have rec'd only a tiny, tiny fraction of LPs shipped this way and I can't say I've ever seen a jacket seam split from shipping. The inner sleeve sure, but not the jacket.

Shipping in the inner sleeve outside the jacket would seem to increase the chance of inner sleeve seam splits too.

I've only shipped vinyl this way if specifically asked to do so or on stuff that went for super insane high prices, just in case...

I've had similar exp. w/ the extra cardboard insert. Only get them pretty rarely, so I only send them out on the super expensive stuff.

I've never heard any complaints about stuff I've shipped in standard LP/7" mailers or flattened priority boxes.

I wish it was an urban legend. But it happens all the fucking time, unfortunately.