Help press Volcano, I'm Still Excited!!'s debut LP

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mattlunsford/volcano-im-still-excited-help-press-a-limited

From Polyvinyl:

Ever since its 2004 release, Volcano, I'm Still Excited!!'s critically acclaimed, self-titled debut has been an office favorite at Polyvinyl and has evolved into a cult favorite among the band's dedicated fan base. Unfortunately, in 2004 vinyl wasn't as popular as it is today so pressing an LP wasn't a financially feasible endeavor at the time. For years now, we've listened to requests for a vinyl pressing of the album. And to make matters worse, VISE!! broke up shortly after the album's release - delaying the possibility of a such a venture...until now.

Here is your chance to turn those ardent pleas into tangible vinyl LPs by helping us press a limited edition run of "Volcano, I'm Still Excited!!" on vinyl. We can't do this without your help, though, which is why we're offering some exclusives to those who support the project.

For example, in exchange for a $25 pledge we are creating a 180-gram maroon colored vinyl edition of the record which will only ever be available to those who pledge on Kickstarter. Or for a $65 pledge, you'll get the maroon vinyl and some other goodies, plus we'll send you a test pressing of the record on the same day we receive them at Polyvinyl! This is a rare opportunity for you to be completely involved with the first-time pressing of a beloved record from beginning to end - raising the funds, listening to the test pressings and ultimately receiving a copy of the finished version (that you made possible).

This is one of my all-time favorite records. I've already pledged $65 to guarantee myself a test pressing. Everyone else should get in on this, stat!

i think i might go for the $25 package at some point.

this kickstarter site seems like a good way for people to raise money and not do anything themselves anymore though. i can't believe some of the people on here have over 100% backing! when are you guys going to get on here and start your labels by having us back you all the way? :P

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

document.write('+':vkupt7sb]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':vkupt7sb]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

{

document.write('+':cf2z55e8]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':cf2z55e8]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Admin

we signed up to Kickstarter and plan to use it for a few projects. This can be a great way to get records pressed that labels are uncertain to put out.

"How does the money stuff work?

Amazon.com processes all the pledges on Kickstarter. When you decide to make a pledge, we'll quickly take you to Amazon.com to confirm. If you have an Amazon.com account this takes only a few clicks. If you don't have an Amazon.com account, Amazon will ask you to register during the pledge process, but it's relatively painless. You won't need to do anything annoying (like stop in the middle and check your email).

Funding ends when time expires. At that point one of two things happens:

If a project has reached or exceeded its funding goal when time expires, all backers' credit cards are instantly charged and funds go directly to the project creator.

If funding doesn't succeed, all pledges are immediately canceled like nothing ever happened. That's it! "

This is going to lead to an absolute onslaught of Ponzi scheme-based record labels. I guess this at least has a safety net in the form of not being charged if it doesn't go through. Still, something about this scares me. Why the hell does an established label like Polyvinyl have to do this though?

Guest Admin
This is going to lead to an absolute onslaught of Ponzi scheme-based record labels. I guess this at least has a safety net in the form of not being charged if it doesn't go through. Still, something about this scares me. Why the hell does an established label like Polyvinyl have to do this though?

at least if the goal is not met, no money is charged. I agree though, Polyvinyl doesn't need help like us smaller labels.

Here's my question about this: what happens when charges don't go through or the cards are canceled before the final date? Also what about when they raise 200% of the goal....do they keep all the money? Just seems very weird to me. It doesn't quite sit right.

If they raise 200% of the goal, then every person who contributed to a certain level will get what they are entitled to -- if it breaks 100%, then essentially every "pledge" after that just becomes a glorified pre-order.

I think this is a great idea for smaller, niche records in label's back catalogs. It's an easy way to find out if the demand is there for one of your lesser-selling titles to be on vinyl, and you reward the early supporters with extra goodies.

Virgil, set one of these up for Boys Night Out's Trainwreck. Now.