i just got back from the post office...

because i had to send a CD to somebody. it was a mix CD that i made, and i used a thin jewel case to house it. since there's no way in hell that would make it across the country without being shattered, i wrapped it in bubble wrap and then made a box for it out of an LP mailer. it was one of the brown boxes, not a white one.

so i get to the counter and this lady that ALWAYS gives me a hard time about shipping things is working the counter. you guys know how often i trade on the boards, so clearly i've been to the post office to ship records a number of times. this woman (she happens to be chinese, but it has nothing to do with that, she's just a bitch) always gives me the third degree about what i'm shipping. and i'm always so pleasant and patient with her because i know once i turn my back and walk out, she could potentially fuck with whatever i just left with her.

so today, i give her the homemade box (which looked pretty bojenkity, might i add... for those of you who don't know, that means like "haggard" or "messed up" or "low budget" or something along those lines) and told her it's a CD inside there and i'd like to ship it media mail.

she goes "this is a priority mail box, we have to ship it priority."

"uhh, no it's not. i just made that at home. also, there's NO markings on the box at all. why do you think it's a priority box?"

"it's the same size as our priority mail boxes. you just turned it inside out and put your mailing address on it."

"i honestly did not. it's not a priority box. you can even see it's made from 4 different pieces of cardboard. why would i cut up a box that was perfectly made and in good shape to send it media mail?"

"you know, they can open up this box back there and if it's a priority mail box, you'd be in big trouble..."

"you can open it right here if you want. i'm telling you i made this box at home out of an old box i had."

SO SHE FUCKING DID. she opened the box right at the counter (there were literally 7 people waiting in line behind me, mind you) to make sure i wasn't trying to scam the post office out of the $1.49 extra it would have cost to send a CD priority in a box that had ABSOLUTELY ZERO markings on it that would indicate it at any time was a priority mail box.

so she gets done inspecting it and looks at me and goes "that will be $1.90 please."

i looked around waiting for ashton to jump out, and when he didn't after about 10 seconds, i turned to her and said "are you serious? did this actually just happen?"

"did what just happen?"

"nevermind. can you give me some tape so i can re-package my box that you have no ruined?" oh, if it were only that simple... the only tape they had at the counter was "PRIORITY MAIL" fucking tape. so i had to fucking BUY A ROLE OF CLEAR PACKING TAPE to re-package my box that was perfectly fine until this woman dismantled it.

i am never going to let her wait on me again. i hated her before today, but dealt with it anyway. this was the last straw. what a bitch.

this sucks. I had one dude like that who questioned everything I sent. But he was fired i believe.

But a few weeks ago me and my girlfriend were shipping about 40 packages and the lady gives me a "Fragile" "Media Mail" and "First Class" stamp so i can stamp them myself before sending them to save her time. I thought that was rad!

the guy that works at the counter where i ship my 95% of my stuff is named tony, has a sweet mexi-mullet, remembers my name, always happy to help out, remembers that i like to ship out my records first class (actually cheaper than media for a single record), and is a shining example or what postal workers should be.

on a semi-related note, the guy that actually delivers my mail is named ruben, and i saw him at karaoke at a local bowling alley bar, it was rad.

I would demand to speak to their manager on duty (assuming post offices have them), no way would I purchase a roll of tape I otherwise wouldn't need because of that bitch.

The manager's don't give a shit either. I've seen it first hand. Their attitude is "You don't like it? Too fuckin' bad"

Guest afsdan
I would demand to speak to their manager on duty (assuming post offices have them), no way would I purchase a roll of tape I otherwise wouldn't need because of that bitch.

they have managers, and from my experience, they are more disgruntled than the counter monkeys. that's how you advance there, the more pissed you are at life, the higher a position you will hold at the USPS

Sounds like you need to follow her after work and give her a nice little scare. I'd find a new post office. I didn't go into the one nearest me for years because every time i did this old guy would fucking babble on about dvd players and cd burning and whatever technology was new at the time and just to mail a record I'd be in there for 20 minutes. I hardly like talking to the people I know, I'm not about to have a 20 minute conversation with an 80 year old public servant. Shut the fuck up and do your job, save the chatter for your therapist.

I found one near work recently that is absolutely perfect. I can get in and out in no time at all and the clerks are always super friendly. I went back to the one near my house recently and that guy wasn't there. Maybe he died.

No shit. I love how the only tape they have anymore is priority mail tape. Next time you have her, I would let the person behind you take your place. I would be tempted to spit on her.

My post office moves slow, but they don't care what you send. They'll take your word for it, regardless of what they ask and what you respond.

The only downside is the crazy old guy who is always there doesn't move that quickly, but at least he's really cheery. When he hands the receipt over, it's like he's finishing up a show-tune performance with a little bow. I kinda groan when I see him in there, but when I get him, he generally cheers me up.