13/14 Premier League Football Discussion

And I take the Tottenham side (or Chelsea) over Arsenal. The Gunners are a god damn blast to root against.

Everton is a great "Good" club to root for. They're never going to win the league, but they play a very classy, respectful style of play and they always done fairly well for themselves with spending barely any money (especially compared to the bigger clubs). Their coach from last year, David Moyes, just took over for Man United. So that says how well they were coached. It's too early to tell how their new coach Martinez will do, he was coach at Wigan where he was always a better coach than the team's actual level of performance. The US #1 keeper Tim Howard is the starter for Everton.

it's pretty entertaining to be impartial for awhile and then find a team that has a style of play that you like. some teams have boat loads of talent and money, making them almost a must to watch, but they have no soul as a team (Chelsea comes to mind). and some teams lack big names players and big budgets but make up for it in determination and heart.

dunno if you're from the US, but you should watch the MLS too. the US is really coming up in the world in terms of playing great soccer.

Chelsea or Tottenham over Arsenal? FUCK YOU

After you just bigged up Everton who never won a thing under Moyes? Or did you read that joke on a forum?

clearly you didn't read my full post. i said Everton are a "good" team that are never going to win anything, but frankly they're also not claiming to be able to. The Gunners, however, are stuck in fairy tail land with claims that they can compete for the title or the Champions League every single year, and then...

clearly you didn't read my full post. i said Everton are a "good" team that are never going to win anything, but frankly they're also not claiming to be able to. The Gunners, however, are stuck in fairy tail land with claims that they can compete for the title or the Champions League every single year, and then...

Nah, our manager is, i don't think anyone else is claiming anything of the sort. In fact, completely the opposite, even our players have come out asking for signings. Which we won't make.

As a Belgian, I'm proud we have so many good players in the Premier League.

Mignolet saved the game for Liverpool, Hazard & De Bruyne were great for Chelsea (what an assist from De Bruyne!), and Benteke won the game for Aston Villa.

Then there's Lukaku (Chelsea), Fellaini & Mirallas (Everton), Dembélé, Chadli & Vertonghen (Tottenham Hotspur), Vermaelen (Arsenal), Kompany (Manchester City),...

Look out for Belgium! When we qualify for Brazil, I am so sure we can make it to the semi finals!!!

As a Belgian, I'm proud we have so many good players in the Premier League.

Mignolet saved the game for Liverpool, Hazard & De Bruyne were great for Chelsea (what an assist from De Bruyne!), and Benteke won the game for Aston Villa.

Then there's Lukaku (Chelsea), Fellaini & Mirallas (Everton), Dembélé, Chadli & Vertonghen (Tottenham Hotspur), Vermaelen (Arsenal), Kompany (Manchester City),...

Look out for Belgium! When we qualify for Brazil, I am so sure we can make it to the semi finals!!!

I'm excited Mignolet is replacing the error-prone Pepe Reina, the kid is a phenomenal keeper. and Eden Hazard is an absolute gem to watch, ridiculous work rate and skill with the ball at his feet.

And shit, I really enjoy almost all the other you mentioned. I expect big things from Belgium in this world cup. Dark horses for the semis? maybe further?

I genuinely feel sorry for Wenger, in other years we've had money but used it to pay off debts, fair enough I think but there's no excuse this year. I do feel this Arsenal hating has just become a bandwagon people have jumped on, he arguably did more for the premier league than any other manager since he took over but a lot of people weren't around to see the before and after, he's won the league with an undefeated team that wasn't put together by an oil baron or a Russian trying to hide illegally accrued cash. The man citys, Chelsea's and monacos have ruined football and unfortunately I just think Wenger is swimming against the tide to prove a point, it's going to end badly, for us or him or both which would be galling. I pay a grand a year to watch my team and knowing there's money there to compete in the way Bayern do is infuriating on a level you cannot imagine.

i do agree that the huge cash influxes from Russia and the Middle East have done more harm than good. in a lot of ways, it's mirroring the middle class disappearing. big clubs get bigger, and the smaller clubs will never be able to keep up. looking at Bundesliga, Seria A, La Liga, Premier League, Ligue 1, they all have (usually) only have 2-3 teams competing for the title, and their spending is lightyears ahead of the clubs below them. it makes for highly entertaining clubs to watch, but the leagues end up super lopsided overall. that's part of why i love the MLS, aside from a few exceptions, it's almost always an anyone-can-win kind of league (and i would assume the Championship is the same way, but we don't get any of those matches televised here)

as much as i love to hate on the club, i do genuinely feel sorry for the fans. a storied and trophied club like Arsenal should not be putting their fans through that. and i know Wenger has done some amazing things and the problem obviously isn't solely revolving around him, but this slump isn't just a couple years...

i do agree that the huge cash influxes from Russia and the Middle East have done more harm than good. in a lot of ways, it's mirroring the middle class disappearing. big clubs get bigger, and the smaller clubs will never be able to keep up. looking at Bundesliga, Seria A, La Liga, Premier League, Ligue 1, they all have (usually) only have 2-3 teams competing for the title, and their spending is lightyears ahead of the clubs below them. it makes for highly entertaining clubs to watch, but the leagues end up super lopsided overall. that's part of why i love the MLS, aside from a few exceptions, it's almost always an anyone-can-win kind of league (and i would assume the Championship is the same way, but we don't get any of those matches televised here)

as much as i love to hate on the club, i do genuinely feel sorry for the fans. a storied and trophied club like Arsenal should not be putting their fans through that. and i know Wenger has done some amazing things and the problem obviously isn't solely revolving around him, but this slump isn't just a couple years...

Bundesliga yes, but you can't complain, they've done it right, Dortmund have been built up from the point of bankruptcy, Bayern are an impeccably run club and both are owned by fans, season tickets prices are minimal and tickets are incredibly cheap. La Liga is undoubtably a two horse race, Real are the most lucrative club in football and the TV rights are split incredibly unfairly allowing Barca - who are underwritten by nike on the sly - to spend like they have tons of cash, which they don't they're broke as fuck. City, PSG, Monaco and Chelsea are disgraceful clubs, utterly classless and have destroyed the transfer market knowing their sugar daddies will mop up any debts. Financial Fair play will never work and even if it is implemented it'll only be beneficial to the clubs who are already huge. 

So yes, there are some terrible leagues in terms of competition but in that respect you can't call what we're going through a slump, we're well run as a business... and that's the problem, we've totally bucked the trend in terms of spending and it's become the norm and most of that is down to Wenger. However i feel he will go down still trying to stick it to these clubs by winning the league on a budget - won't fucking happen, we're fucked at this point and what he allows to happen in the next two weeks will shape everything for us, if he strengthens with three great players and four more squad players, we could challenge, if he doesn't and we fail to keep out champion's league spot, think about how many players would leave... Koscielny, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Cazorla, Walcott, Podolski. Wilshere might even start having his head turned. And that is terrifying, i genuinely think this season could be the one where we break entirely.

Financial Fair play will never work and even if it is implemented it'll only be beneficial to the clubs who are already huge. 

So so so true. That's hurt us at Middlesbrough a bit. we've now got a paper thin squad and are relying on a few loan players to bring in something fresh. Mowbray has drastically cut the wage bill to fall in line with the fair play & Gibson has having to stop pumping (and he lost £10 million last year to us) the money in.

Fingers crossed we'll pick up McCormack from Leeds.

If we do eventually go back up, if its this season or next. It'll be a million times harder for us to stay up than it would have been the season we went down. Such a fall from grace considering we pulled off the greatest European cup run of all time to the final in 2006.