The "What do you do for a living thread"

I don't know why, but seeing what other people do is interesting to me (probably because I have no idea what I want to do).

Right now I am currently enrolled at The University of Akron and am about to start the fall semester. I'm going to school for computer networking, and I have no idea when I'll finish. Lately I have realized that I don't really want to have an office job, and want to do something outside. I'm sure my parents will love me when I break that news to them.

I currently work the Summit County AAA. I take calls for people broken down in my county, and dispatch out tow trucks to them. It is a boring job, since it is mostly sitting around doing nothing, but it is extremely lax and you can get away with anything there. I've been there for 5 years and probably won't leave until I graduate or figure out what I want to do. Working there has also made me want to learn to drive a tow truck, and next spring or summer my boss said he'll send me to the AAA training place in Toledo, OH and I might get to work part time at night driving our new truck. So all you Ohioans that break down here in Akron and call AAA, you'll probably get me so I'll be sure to send out a truck fast for you :).

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a college student in Nebraska. I'm going to be a senior but still am not sure what I wanna do (right now I'm an English major.) I'll probably end up at grad school. I started out as a film major but I was more into film theory rather than film production so I ended up leaving the program I was enrolled in. Right now I'm just going to focus on a bachelors degree then go from there.

On the side I'm an assistant manager at a grocery store. It sucks. I've been working in retail since I was 15 and every new retail job I get I vow to make it my last, then somehow a bigger, better, more convenient offer comes along so I always end up taking it :(. But it's good enough for now.

I think a decent amount of people on here know what I do, but for those who don't, my name is Scott Heisel, I'm 25 and I'm the music editor for a magazine called Alternative Press. I won't be so presumptuous to assume that you all know what AP is, so I'll just say we're a national music magazine based out of Cleveland, Ohio, that's been around for 22 years and focuses largely on slightly left of the dial music (i.e. bands that play Warped Tour and Sounds Of The Underground all the way down to bands that play The Fest and basement shows). I've been working there since July 2004 and love it.

Guest Admin

For those of you going to college wondering what to do next, you will figure it out. I got a degree in Molecular Biology, worked in a lab for a year, and hated every minute of my life. I had always done things in music (booking shows, doing a zine, starting a label, working at record stores) and knew that I had to do something I loved or I would be truly bummed.

I worked at Hopeless Records for a year as their label manager in 97/98. I did not dig Los Angeles so I moved back to Colorado and opened a record store (Bakamono). We sold only independent music, Japanese toys, books, and clothing. The store only lasted for a year as retail is tough. At that point, I have been focusing entirely on Suburban Home and most recently Vinyl Collective. I feel very lucky to have been able to work in Indie music for as long as I have, but it is definitely a tough time right now.

Although I don't encourage anyone to work in the music industry now, I do encourage you to find that thing you absolutely love and see if you can make it work for a living.

I'm a graphic designer. I'm one of the few people that went to school for something I loved, and then got a job doing it right out of school. I'm looking to get a better job, but I love what I do. I can't make music worth shit, so I like being able to design things for bands (cds, shirts, etc.) while my job has me doing a lot of educational design.

I'm a full time college student in Pennsylvania (one semester left!). This summer I'm a marketing intern at a company that makes electronic sensors and I really hope that this internship isn't a sign of things to come. I always knew I wanted to study business and I love music so I chose Marketing as a major and Music Industry as a minor. Its worked out well, and even though this internship bores me to death I still got somthing out of it. In the future I really hope to be involved with music.

Hey Scott, they need any Marketing people at AP?

Also Thomas, after my first year of college when I went home to Delaware for the summer I spent 2 weeks training to be a tow truck driver. They fired me after they found out I was only going to be able to work for the summer. It was actually a lot of fun, and since then I always switch to the furthest lane I can when someone is broke down on the side of the highway because I can't remember being more afraid then when I had to change a woman's tire on the side of I-495 with about 4 feet between me and certain death by 18 wheeler. Keep that orange cone handy.

Guest conoley

I got my education degree from the University of New Brunswick (in Canada) but wrote the LSATs when my girlfriend was writing them because I wanted to see how well I would do. I did well enough to apply to law school and I got in. I'm going into my second year there now.

Besides going to school, I am a freelance music journalist. I write for a few Canadian national publications (Exclaim and Chart) as well as local stuff. I also do reviews etc. for punknews.org. I do PR for a local record label (Forwardmusicgroup.com).

I also host a trivia night at a bar, haha.

I graduated from the University of North Florida (in jacksonville, FL) about 3 years ago and i have been working in advertising the last few years, as a Media Buyer. not a bad gig... I just got a new job where i can where band shirts, shorts and flip flops everyday. Not bad since the first job i had to wear a nasty shirt and tie M-Thursday with Casual fridays - ick!

I graduated from the University of North Florida (in jacksonville, FL) about 3 years ago and i have been working in advertising the last few years, as a Media Buyer. not a bad gig... I just got a new job where i can where band shirts, shorts and flip flops everyday. Not bad since the first job i had to wear a nasty shirt and tie M-Thursday with Casual fridays - ick!

this is what I like so much about my job. no dress code. band tshirts, shorts, jeans, whatever. my boss is also pretty into my tattoos.

Also Thomas, after my first year of college when I went home to Delaware for the summer I spent 2 weeks training to be a tow truck driver. They fired me after they found out I was only going to be able to work for the summer. It was actually a lot of fun, and since then I always switch to the furthest lane I can when someone is broke down on the side of the highway because I can't remember being more afraid then when I had to change a woman's tire on the side of I-495 with about 4 feet between me and certain death by 18 wheeler. Keep that orange cone handy.

Yeah you def. need to watch when someone is out there changing a tire, we had 2 people die when someone on the highway hit a car one of our drivers was changing the tire on and sent it flying up about 20 feet onto the shoulder right into the people. I think that would be the only thing that I would not like much about the job, having to change tires on the highway.

I am a NH state licensed subsurface system designer, and I work for a small land survey firm. I do mostly drafting and subdivision design, some field work. I have to wear long sleeves and long pants everyday to cover up my tattoos (outta respect for the boss). I am married, have 2 step-kids, 2 of my own and one on the way. I also have 2 dogs... a boxer named Murphy and a miniture pinscher named Sophie. Thats pretty much it.

I'm going to be a Junior in High School and I currently do filing related work at a doctors office and an insurance agency. I also run a webzine called Headphones Turned On (just coming back from a hiatus). Someone that I work with at the doctors office just got married to a music producer (which is what I want to be when I'm older), so he told me to come down to his recording studio whenever I want. So I'm sure I'll jump on that offer pretty soon.

I just finished up my last course to get my degree in psychology from UBC and I'm a year away from getting my diploma in broadcast journalism from BCIT. I had interest in being a TV news or sports reporter but there's a lot about the industry I don't care for, like how cutthroat it is and the sacrifices you have to make to get any where, so I'll most likely end up doing PR or marketing work. Actually, I work as the Apple Campus Rep for BCIT, and last week my boss said that I could get on at Apple permanently once I graduate, so here's to hoping that works out!

Well, currently I'm working on a PhD in Political Science at the University of New Mexico. After years of booking shows, running a label, and playing in bands in Michigan, I became so burnt out. My wife and I decided to pick and move to New Mexico and try something new, so I entered grad school, and got a Master's in Latin American studies. I wasn't sure grad school was for me, but I really liked it. I actually get paid to go to school and read books, so it's a pretty sweet deal. I have the summers off, travel to Latin America all the time and work at home. It's intense sometimes, during the semester I work about 60-70 hours a week and write a ton, but it is better than the lame warehouse I worked in for 6 years before moving. After being away from the "scene" for a while, I love music more than ever and sometimes miss being involved in music, but it is a great hobby to keep my mind off politics when I'm really stressed out.

I was in school working on a b.s. in biology with a minor in chemistry and was going to finish this spring. I was already looking into grad schools for marine biology/ecology, but ended up getting into pharmacy school on late acceptence off of the waiting list(you only need at least 2 undergrad years for pharmacy school even though I just finished my 5th without a degree, I guess thats what happens when you are stuck trying to decide what to do with your life...time keeps going while youre stuck standing still) which I will be starting in 2 weeks, I'm moving on friday, but wont be up there permanantly until next tuesday...its only a 2 hour drive from where I live now

I work in the shipping department for Midori Ribbon Inc. It's not bad but not great by any means. I went to the Art Institute of Seattle for Animation for a year and then did Audio Production for half a year. I decided that I didn't want to do either one so I quite. I've been out of school for a little over a year now and I'm starting to get really burnt out on working dead end jobs. I'm hoping to go back to school sometime within the next year but I'm pretty poor so we'll see how that goes.

I work for a closed captioning company outside Pittsburgh. I am the Supervisor of our sports department. Not a bad gig. I'm pretty into sports, so the job is something I definitely don't mind going to every day. Last November my work sent me to check out ESPN Headquarters in Bristol, CT. I got my bachelor's degree in Communications. When I'm not working my normal job, I play in a band with a bunch of my buddies. We get together at my house every Tuesday night and slug back a few beers and rock out.

I live in the town next to bristol. i could go on and on with my experiences with the anchors and people at ESPN, such good people.

Anyways, Im from Connecticut but go to Loyola University in New Orleans, LA. Im technically an incoming junior but thanks to the hurricane, Im an incoming second semester sophomore majoring in Photojournalism. I make a little money from my photography, mostly bands, but right now Im working for a vending machine company to pass time until I go back to school. I was working for warner brothers this summer but that got terminated cause my school refused to corporate with the internship. weak