What speakers are you rocking?

mrc

Too bad you're in Florida - the apartment I moved into has a brand new pair of floor standers in the basement. No idea why someone would've left them.

Anyway, if you are thinking that somewhere down the line you are going to upgrade your gear, you may want to take this opportunity and start with the speakers - increase your budget a little, cos in that range all you're gonna get are great bookshelf speakers.

I had these for a total of two days:

[image]

The most amazing sound I have ever heard from a speaker under $2000. I returned them because they arrived damaged and was hoping to get another pair with the refund, but by the time I was refunded the store was out of stock. And it was the last place that had them, since they have been discontinued for a couple of years now. But those two days were the best listening experience I ever got at home. Currently I'm in a process of saving up for a pair a few levels higher, but I still have a long way to go.

[image]

And so this post isn't completely useless, in the price range you're looking to spend, I would really advise you to look after used speaker, especially if you want floorstanders. There is a HUGE difference between floorstanders with retail price of $300 and those of $600-$700 (which tend to sell used for half of price or less).

Slinch is correct - Audiogon is going to be your friend on this one. Not only will you be able to get a pair of floor standers for decent prices, they will be all warmed up and burned in, which will make them sound better than new.

And to answer the other question, I own a beautiful pair of Rega R7 loudspeakers. They were demos at my local hi-fi shop – I had originally planned on buying the smaller R5's, but the owner knocked half off the price and threw in $500.00 speaker cables in return for me printing shirts for him. They sound very natural, with beautiful wide open separation, amazingly accurate resolution, and very, very niiiice bass response – nice and tight. I run them bi-wired, which improves their performance.

Here they are:

[image]

I've got a pair of Cerwin-Vega VS-150 floor speakers. I really like them. They sound great and are loud as fuck.

The only problem is they are large and heavy so moving them sucks. They probably weigh around 80-100 pounds each.

They are also discontinued, so if you are looking to buy a pair, you'll have to look at craig's list, ebay or anywhere else that would sell used speakers.

here's a pic I found online...

[image]

the other are Polk Audio Speakers

One Polk Audio CS1 center speaker, Two Polk Audio monitor 50 floor speakers.

This package is cheaper than the above speakers... hopefully both are still available

let me know some insight.

Eh, not too impressed by Polk anymore - they just don't make 'em like they used to - now if yr talking some '70s Polks…

Thanks for the help Matt.

i ended up getting a set of Infinity Systems Alpha 40 speakers tonight. I got them for $200 (he was looking for $300 but i pulled the broke college kid card), and apparently they are about 2 yrs old but are barely used and look brand new. The dude lived in a shitty apartment complex with paper thin walls and his neighbors would always complain when he rocked out, so he ended up putting them in his closet.

Anyways i just hooked them up and they sound amazing. So much better than i expected. Damn im fucking stoked! Especially since i got a good deal... Those things retail for like $550.00 or so.