Best show you've ever been to

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest conoley

Wow good question. Brand new with 6 or 3 people would be pretty incredible, same with Alkaline Trio. I'm from a small town in Canada, so we get a lot of bands coming through here and playing really small venues. But the two best were:

Moneen play a friend's basement

Weakerthans/Constantines playing a bar to 100 people

Another very memorable experience was when I was working at a provincial park in Northern Ontario in 1999 and Hayden was camping there over my birthday. I strolled by his site and he was playing some songs so I asked if I could join him and his friends. It turned into an all night acoustic session with Hayden and co. Simply fantastic.

Tomorrow night Shai Hulud is playing the Kinsmen Center and it's going to be amazing

I've got more, Fugazi in Boston at massart, man that was amazing. against me and lawrence arms in cambridge ma, it was at the YWCA and late, so AM! only got to play 2-3 songs, but they played the shit out of those 2-3 songs. and going to a million hometown throwdowns with the bosstones, so many memories there.

Guest scriptedrain

Two from last year come to mind:

Minus the Bear / Russian Circles / (2 Local Bands)

P.O.S. / Sims / Dessa / (Local Group) - In the back of a coffee shop! The stage was literally a cooler.

The four Warped Tours I've been to have rocked and had their "holy shit!" moments and sets. Seeing Brand New twice (and traveling 6 hours each time) was surreal because they're my favorite band out of the ones I've seen live.

I really don't know if one sticks out more than the others, although I will say that - considering I'm not an active fan by any stretch of the imagination - AFI fucking blew me away when I saw them about 4-5 years ago. Davey Havok had the most amazing stage presence out of anyone I'd seen prior or since.

- Jeff

-My first-ever Fireside Bowl show: The Hippos/First Grade Crush/Allister/The Beatdowns (March '99 I think?)

-My first-ever Metro show: Buck-O-Nine/Homegrown/Riverfenix (April 10, '99)

-My high school band opening for Alkaline Trio at Illinois Wesleyan University in April '99, on the last date of their Goddamnit tour -- you just knew something was special

-Braid/No Knife @ Fireside Bowl and Braid/Sarge/Alkaline Trio @ the Metro, Aug. 20/21, 1999 -- Braid's last Chicago shows

-Booking Alkaline Trio to play my hometown in Jan 2000 -- their second show ever with Mike Felumlee, and according to Skiba after the show, the first time in their career they ever got an encore

-Having my brother book Alk3 on my 18th birthday in Bloomington, Illinois, in March 23, 2000

-Weezer/The Get Up Kids/Ozma in Milwaukee, March 10. 2001 (first time seeing all three bands, and Weezer and GUK are all-time faves)

Hands down. Sunny Day Real Estate/No Knife. I was 12-13 and just getting back from visiting family in Idaho. My brother picked me up at the airport in Nashville and drove me four hours to Atlanta to see the show. I didn't know the bands that well at the time, but he said "trust me you'll thank me" and I fucking did. A few years later at Warped Tour in Atlanta Kris Roe complimented me on my No Knife shirt and I think I cried for like two hours.

Another very memorable experience was when I was working at a provincial park in Northern Ontario in 1999 and Hayden was camping there over my birthday. I strolled by his site and he was playing some songs so I asked if I could join him and his friends. It turned into an all night acoustic session with Hayden and co. Simply fantastic.

that is FUCKING AWESOME. i've always loved hayden, but for one reason or another i've never seen him live. that would've been so crazy.

I really don't know if one sticks out more than the others, although I will say that - considering I'm not an active fan by any stretch of the imagination - AFI fucking blew me away when I saw them about 4-5 years ago. Davey Havok had the most amazing stage presence out of anyone I'd seen prior or since.

yeah, i've never been a rabid fan, but i've probably seen them like nine times including their first canadian tour in moose jaw, saskatchewan (which is just as small as it sounds). Their 1998-2002 period is untouchable as far as performance goes. the energy they have on a small stage is unmatchable, and seeing davey havok literally standing on top of an audience singing "god called in sick today" is jaw-dropping every time. i don't understand how people can be so weirdly obsessive about that band, but the closest i come to understanding that insanity is watching those shows.

oh FUCK, i totally forgot about choke (my favourite canadian band of all time), small brown bike, and moneen playing during the "there's a story to this morale" tour. choke in a 300 person club when they're killing it is unprecedented rock awesomeness. the first time i ever heard "fallout leader" was that show, complete with an extended five-minute intro that was completely hypnotic and entrancing. wow that was something. my first and last small brown bike show too.

for sheer magnitude of what the bands would become:

at the drive in & mustard plug @ the tune inn (about 8 people in attendance)

Brand New - probably about a dozen times followed by playing them in beer pong at my friend Kristen's house the year that YFW came out.

ran sound for My Chemical Romance in two different basements at UCONN... the combined attendance was probably 45 people.

Did sound for Coheed later in the year in that same room with In Pieces.

and then just the random halls shows that had bands that exploded in later years - anti-flag, the casualties, the showoffs (who became bayside), brand new, allister, Big D and the Kids Table, Spring Heeled Jack, The Unseen, With Honor, etc.

Then the ridiculous shows we got our college to pay for.

Alkaline Trio played a show for us in the cafeteria , i think it was in 97 or 98

the get up kids and At the drive in played a show in the same cafeteria the following year.

we had the aquabats as well, and the bat commander made me sing goddamnit while he fougth a giant lobster in the crowd.... ironically it was one of travis Barker's last shows with the 'bats

as for straight up most amazing shows i've ever been to?

Dead Milkmen reunion show at the troc

Atom and his package - Ms Pacman challenge show @ the newtown teen center

thursday + piebald + the lawrence arms at the elngee

Isis - in a random room at UCONN

pretty much every one of the couple dozen times TMBG played toads place

::)

because i live in bangkok so i don't have many chance to see a gig from my favourite american bands.

well,this is all concert that i very appreciate

the show that i watch at Bangkok that i will always remeber are

Himsa on their Ground Breaking era

Die Young on their The Message era

R.A.M.B.O. on their debut album era

Slipknot on their Subliminal Verse era

Incubus 3 1/2 years ago

the show that i watch at London,UK on 2005 are

Velvet Revolver

The Promise (RIP)

The Wage of Sin (RIP)

Breather Resist (RIP)

Planes mistaken for stars (are they re-union now ?)

and NoFX lives in Hong Kong this year

sorry for list many show but these are most of show that i ever watched

and i always jealous that you guys easy to see your favourite bands....at least,easier than me

:'(

really ? ,scottheisel !

d' you know it hard to bring a famous band to play in Bangkok because most of thai organizer think invest for rock concert in too risk.

anyway,the wave of emo and metalcore (or fashioncore....whatever) just explode here.

many US band will play.

i just saw Avenged Sevenfold last thurday.my best friend is organizer and he lost almost 3,000 usd but his co-sponsor is okay.their performance is good but the sound is slightly crap.

next month the ninth,Funeral For a Friend will play in Thailand and Magadeth will play on October 25th and if thai metalcore fans have a luck enough...As I Lay Dying will play before Megadeth 2 days.

i hope Saosin will play here like your info,scottheisel.

i will pray....

and thanks for info,man.