Best show you've ever been to

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 years later...

Bringing this back?

My favorite (and first) show was 11/16/01 - New Found Glory, H2o, and RX Bandits. They played at the Palladium in Hollywood. Jordan stood up there and gave an entire speech about how anyone can do anything they put their mind to. I was convinced he was talking to 14 year old me and I was sure I was going to be a rockstar. 12 years later I am no rockstar, but I do still love New Found Glory.

Saw them recently for the sticks and stones 10 year anniversary tour. I hit the pit like I was 14 again haha

Hands down. Against Me! at Chain Reaction back in early 2011. Perfect show! Almost regret not bringing the camera but it was fun being civilian that night.

Some other mentionables would be:

Nine Inch Nails / Lights In  The Sky Tour @ ARCO Arena a few years back

Gaslight Anthem / One off show @ The Roxy last year

Converge / One off show @ Vacation Records last year

Subhumans w/ 9 Shocks Terror

9 Shocks Terror had their power cut mid set due to the crazyness of the show and the lighting of fireworks in the pit. A bottle rocket got lodged in the AC vents up top and the Fire Dept. was forced to pause the show as 9 Shocks fled. We waited in the park for about 2 hours until they allowed us to come back in and see the Subhumans play.

Drink, Sex, Cigarettes 
Ford Cortina household pets 
Bombs? War? Famine? Death? 
An apathetic public couldn t care less!!!!!

Amazing performance <3

The one where I met tom delonge we took several weird photos together. I got to have a good 20 minute nonsense conversation with him since it was just me, a friend, him, and his security guard. At the end of it he told me he was going on the bus to make a big ass sandwich and watch food network (I could see food network playing on the bus tv)

This was during his painkiller addiction period.

My fondest memories because they'll never happen again:

1.) Pre-fame Goo Goo Dolls at the old Peabody's to a crowd of 100-200

2.) Afghan Whigs at the Odeon

3.) Alkaline Trio opening for HWM and playing to about 10 of us at Club Laga

4.) Ted Leo (tie between old Grog Shop and Brew House)

5.) Snapcase (any time, anywhere)

6.) Against Me!(some tiny place in Cleveland I can't remember)

Ha, nice bump. Funny how five years changes things. I wouldn't have guessed in a million years that the Afghan Whigs would've reunited in 2012. Wish I could cross Snapcase off that list, too, but their "reunion" shows have been too sporadic.

2003- Thursday with Autopilot Off. Geoff collapsed on stage and they had to end the show 35 minutes in.

2005- Sum 41 with Allister and Just Surrender in Poughkeepsie. Brownsound stole the show.

2007- Warped Tour- won a Warped VIP pass from the street team and got to see NFG from the stage.

2011- Frank Turner and IIOI in Orlando. Was right up front.

And last November I saw Weezer play Pinkerton (my favorite album) in its entirety.

Subhumans w/ 9 Shocks Terror

9 Shocks Terror had their power cut mid set due to the crazyness of the show and the lighting of fireworks in the pit. A bottle rocket got lodged in the AC vents up top and the Fire Dept. was forced to pause the show as 9 Shocks fled. We waited in the park for about 2 hours until they allowed us to come back in and see the Subhumans play.

Drink, Sex, Cigarettes 

Ford Cortina household pets 

Bombs? War? Famine? Death? 

An apathetic public couldn t care less!!!!!

Amazing performance <3

I saw the same tour when it came to Ma. It was pretty tame, I was bummed out.

i'll do the last 5 years. just because all the shows before have seem to be a bit of a blur these days.

2008 - Brian Fallon....solo at my favorite bar/cheesesteak place in town.  before he hated being compared to bruce springsteen so he did atlantic city and i'm on fire.  also covered the souls, lean on sheena and played a lot of sink or swim acoustically.

2009 - Paul McCartney....just epic

2010 - Bruce Springsteen....last end of the tour, in jersey, one of CCs last U.S. shows, last show in the old giants stadium, 3 hour set with the entire Born in the U.S.A. record in the middle from front to back.

2011 - Kenny Chesney/Zac Brown Band/Billy Currington...first concert show ever and i was blown away with how nice and friendly the people were and how much they liked to party.  great tailgate, great atmosphere

2012 - Bruce Springsteen....paid 7 bucks the day of on stubhub and me and my buddy took the drive out to see him on the wrecking ball tour

i'll do the last 5 years. just because all the shows before have seem to be a bit of a blur these days.

2012 - Bruce Springsteen....paid 7 bucks the day of on stubhub and me and my buddy took the drive out to see him on the wrecking ball tour

Not even a huge Bruce fan, but I saw this tour at wrigley field and it ruled.

One of my all time favorite shows was Circa Survive at the Bluebird in Denver with Fear Before opening. Small intimate venue + confetti canons + small balloons filled with confetti + mediums sized balloons filled with confetti + HUGE balloons filled with confetti... awesome. Plus Anthony was spot on with his vocals, it was perfect.

I also got to see muse at red rocks and the was phenomenal!

There's a bunch for me but a few that always come to mind are:

2005 - Ska is Dead (2?) - Big D and the Kids Table / MU330 / Streetlight Manifesto at the Knitting Factory

big ska show fun

2007 - Maps & Atlases / Tera Melos / The Fall of Troy at the Troubadour

practically no one was there for the first two bands

2008 - Radiohead on the In Rainbows tour

ex-gf bought me tickets for the pit, nuff said

brand new with kevin devine, century lounge in providence back in 06. it was maybe their second show back from hiatus. it was a capacity of 200 people, and the place was absolutely bonkers. it was somewhat tame in the beginning. slower songs and whatnot. and i'll never forget when jesse started playing untitled 8, and responding to people's cheers with "what the hell, you're not supposed to know this!"

it was the encore that sent the place into a frenzy, though. i literally ended up on the stage per force of the crowd during 70x7. and i sat on an amp between jesse an vin with my mouth gaping while they played degausser for the first time. jesus that was amazing.

honorable mentions:

flaming lips at mountain park in holyoke in 2010. if you've ever been to a lips show, you don't even need explanation. as far as they're concerned, there was nothing out of the ordinary here. that's how amazing their live show is.

kanye west at mt holyoke college in south hadley in 2004. i still get goose bumps every time i think about the fact that i saw kanye in my tiny ass home town in the same tiny ass hall where my brother and sister had their middle school graduation.

brand new with kevin devine and manchester orchestra at the avalon in boston in april 07. an all-around awesome show, killer set by brand new, and this was the tour where they finished every night with a welcome to bangkok jam session. 15 dudes on stage just waling for 20 minutes... wild.

Saw Pinback last night. Rob Crow doing jumping jacks, the worm and then jumping into the crowd during Fortress made my life. Probably one of the best shows I have seen.

brand new with kevin devine and manchester orchestra at the avalon in boston in april 07. an all-around awesome show, killer set by brand new, and this was the tour where they finished every night with a welcome to bangkok jam session. 15 dudes on stage just waling for 20 minutes... wild.

This tour was my first time seeing all of these bands, and BN played ALL of Deja.  Definitely one of my top 3 shows I've seen.

• 4 weeks later...

Gaslight Anthem - festival in 2010.  First row center stage amongst a really rude Muse fanbase (they sat down with their backs to the stage for Gaslight).  There weren't many Gaslight fans there so my wife and I singing along to everything seemed to give them some relief. It was more fun for us than it was for the band i think. 

Chili Peppers - 1999 --one of the first shows back with John in a small club.  Really good performance for around 200 people. No stadium antics just rocking out.

Pearl Jam - 1998 --amazing performance and i had no idea that the weird guy with the floppy hat sitting directly in front of me for Mudhoney's set was Eddie Vedder.

The 2012 Soundwave Festival was easily the best for me. It's great every year but here are a few highlights:

Saw Fireworks with a crowd of approximately 30 people, which made it weirdly cool and intimate.

Underoath also played and I was lucky enough to have a lengthy phone conversation with Spencer later on, since my girlfriend ran into them while stalking Taylor Swift at the airport.

But letlive were definitely the best thing I've ever seen. Still speechless from that performance sometimes when I think about it. During the first ten seconds, Jason had tilted a speaker to its side and kicked it off stage, snagging a security guard in the back of the head. He also climbed on the railings, and did a flip into the temporary fencing. The stage was running about 5 minutes late though so the sound dudes cut off their set halfway through their last song, and Jason was getting angry. The drummer just kept playing, and Jason took some drumsticks too and just started hitting the cymbals as crazy as he could. He then dragged the drum platform across the floor, and threw some drums everywhere and did a flip into what was left of the kit.

Amazing.

One of my all time favorite shows was Circa Survive at the Bluebird in Denver with Fear Before opening. Small intimate venue + confetti canons + small balloons filled with confetti + mediums sized balloons filled with confetti + HUGE balloons filled with confetti... awesome. Plus Anthony was spot on with his vocals, it was perfect.

Came to post this (more or less).  I had seen Circa open before - and they put on a good show, no doubt - but I was completely blown away when they headlined with Maps & Atlases and Stars.  The venue was intimate, the entire band sounded on par with their studio recordings, and the audience was impressively considerate.  Cliche as it sounds, it really was a magical show.  That first (and completely unexpected) confetti cannon was something else.

Also recently stood front and center for the duration of a Deafheaven / ASIWYFA / Russian Circles show, at a very small and cozy club.  That was something else.  I recall riding that concert's high for a few days straight.

During my year in L.A. I posted on a message board called the R.C.B., the Rivers Correspondence Board.  Weezer was making Malidroit and Rivers was using the board to get feedback.  Anyway because of the board my wife and I got to go to the Maladriot record release show at the Whiskey A Go Go.

Also because of that board, I heard about a small Matt Sharp show.  It was probably 2002, Matt Sharp starting playing for the first time in a while and he wanted to do something small and intimate.  My wife and I sat on the floor of a 20 x 20 room in the back of a Mexican resturant in Silver Lake.