What were you like in High School?

I was pretty nerdy. Wasn't in band or anything, but I took all AP, dual enrollment, and honors classes and graduated like, 15th out of 400 or so. I hung out with a lot of the theater kids and ran sound for all of the plays and musicals for 2 or 3 years. My girlfriend recalls that one day I wore soccer sandals with socks and parachute pants to school. I listened to lots of shitty radio rock, but my tastes started getting a little bit better as high school went on. I still hang out with all of my best friends that I had in high school, most of which I met before that in middle school and some in elementary school, and I am still dating my girlfriend from high school, 4 years later, who is the only girl I've ever really dated. I also started growing out my hair in 9th grade, and it looked really retarded and awkward for awhile until it got into hippy hair length.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it really interesting how all you guys refer to the band nerds, Theater guys, skaters, jocks etc and how it seems to be the same in multiple states. At my school we were just people, words like greebo and trendy were exchanged on the playing field but everyone kind of hung out together. The only real thing that separated us was the ability sets, depending on how able you were would denote what class you where in, but even then outside of class everyone just hung together.

i also tie-dyed a white tuxedo. the hardest part was the top hat....

I must see a picture of this.

I went to a small Christian school, K-12 so I knew pretty much everyone in my class of 50 by the time I graduated. Never dated anyone, never played sports besides football senior year for some reason. Football sucked, I broke a rib and didn't know it for about a week.

I was yearbook editor, got to sneak some things into the yearbook but mostly it was a nightmare due to our psycho teacher who constantly tried to take creative control of the yearbook and push her beliefs on us. She handed out tracts on Halloween, and told us to boycott the Da Vinci Code. That kind of crazy.

Listened almost exclusively to Tooth & Nail screamo. I don't think anyone in my entire school had good taste in music.

Never got in trouble, did my homework, and got A/B Honor Roll usually.

Otherwise, I'm pretty much the same person I am now.

any of you fellow "Band Geeks" march in the Macy's Day Parade in High School?? if so, what year?, what position in the parade?, and what was it like for you?

i fuckin loved marching in parades.

i love the uniforms.

we marched in some pretty shitty parades. a 2.5 mile one in holyoke, raining, 35 degrees, and i was already sick as a dog. to top it off, 10 minutes before we marched, our only sousaphone player passed out cause he's a little bitch, and i had 10 minutes to learn the sousaphone. by the end of the parade i was better than him. woo bass clef.

Seeing this thread reminds me of that one O Pioneers song, forgot which one it was but it was depressing as all hell just hearing eric yell,"just like in high school."

Pretty much high school was O Pioneers to me.

I'm pretty sure that song is about not being friends with someone anymore, not especially about how HS sucked.

I was fat, I was the funny guy, I was always laughing and never took anything serious, I was super happy, everyone new my name, but they weren't really my friend. I wore mostly black and had fucking awful taste in music (Heavy screaming crap i.e. Norma Jean)

now I'm thin, not funny, I hardly ever laugh, I have a fair few friends, but no-one I knew from school. I'd also say I am really miserable person now. I wear mostly bright colours and dress like an indie twat and have much better taste in music (Acousticy, happy cheery stuff i.e. Arcade Fire)

All in all my younger self would have kicked the shit out of my new self for being an indie tool, and now I would have ripped the shit out of my younger self for being an emo

Another vote here for high school sucking.

Battled depression a lot, took more art classes than the school actually offered (I actually created the AP art program with my teacher), dropped copious amounts of LSD sophomore year, smoked weed alone, took AP biology and physics, got suspended for wearing a t-shirt that was critical of (the first) Bush and the (first) Iraq war. Got suspended a second time for arguing with a conservative teacher about the war. I couldn't stand 99% of the people in my graduating class. Senior year I was asked to design the commemorative t-shirt (you'd think they'd have learned by then), so I made it my duty to re-create the class portrait for the back of the shirt so that it made fun of every single person there. The 99% were NOT stoked. To top it off, I was voted "most artistic". Ha!

It's been a long, long time since I've cared about GPA's.

Guest kissthesharks

Chubby. I had a close circle of friends that were into Blink 182, New Found Glory, and Sum 41. We were "punk" as fuck.

Graduation day picture. I'm the one on the right. I was soooooooooo high.

[image]

^ I don't know though. Like I will say there were some things I loved about high school (the art program, a few of my teachers), but overall it was generally shitty and I would never go back and do it again. I didn't have an entirely shitty attitude about it until about junior year. I was always incredibly nice to people but I was incredibly unpopular. I just realized overall most people are really shitty and shallow and ignorant (regardless of whether or not you treat them with respect) and that's sort of when I became incredibly fed up with trying. I tried approaching college as a new start, and ultimately came to the same conclusion (most people at my school act like they're still in high school).

Maybe I just don't have very good people skills, but I thought being nice to people was a good thing.

Obviously there's some exceptions, but your ordinary day-to-day stuff can be dramatically affected by how you go into it. If you expect a shitty day at school, you'll look for the negatives all day long while being oblivious to the small positives that float by.

If you want to think that everyone sucks, fine by me, but I just think that's a miserable outlook on life. I obviously don't like everyone, but even those I don't like, I don't concern myself with them. If I have interact with them, you just be pleasant for the sake of pleasantries, and carry on your merry way.

Everyone has to sit through 4 years of high school, unless you're going to dropout, but if you're going to be there, why not look for something enjoyable instead of waking up each morning and going "school sucks... and moping through the next 7 hours. I just don't get people who have that mentality, but then again, I've always been pretty positive so I'm just used to seeing life that way.

Went to two high schools. One was a evangelical chrisitan school called Jesus Chapel(Yup) that I attended from 5th grade til 9th. I hated it once I got into 7th grade and by 8th grade I was miserable and 9th grade was absolutely horrifying. The entire school, teachers included, degraded me and belittled me and treated me like shit. I never had any real friends, save 2 or 3 and it was an hour away from where I lived so I had to get up early every morning. The final straw for me going to public school was my freshman year we went to a fine arts competition in Oklahoma, I was 'dating' this girl who I broke up with and met up with some punker kids and immediately felt embraced and everyone saw this and began throwing out their worst onto me. My last memory of that shithole is me being stretched across the arm rest of a bus seat til I cried into submission, all this happening in front of teachers and not a word being said. I got off that bus and told my mom if I went back to that school ever again, I would kill myself.

Then, public school happened and my life took a complete 180. Found a girlfriend, started skating and hanging out with people all the time. Became more social. Was in two bands that became fairly well respected and Senior year was the shit. By that time, we were going to Juarez almost every weekend(met my high school sweetheart on Senior Ditch Day in Mexico) with friends all the time, I just a little bit back then and was starting to get interested in shows(booked Against Me!'s show in El Paso, interestingly the first show that the major labels came too..) and life was sweet.

I was voted most sarcastic, had a decent grade average and knew everyone for the most part. I only got in trouble once, and it was last day, last hour of my senior year. Me and a friend of mine decided to do a liquid lunch(drinking for those who don't know) because we didn't need to worry about the math test we were going to take. Well, we went overboard and I passed out in the bathroom and we weren't allowed to walk. That friend of mine lived with me through college for 3-4 years. Right now, I live with two of my high school buds here in New York. I love all my public school high school friends and the closest of them and me are still really close.

I loath pretty much everyone at Jesus Chapel and the moment I knew they were the biggest pieces of shit in the world came twice: Once, when we were recording at one of the studios in El Paso, a tech working with Mike Major, Daniel, was in my sisters grade at Chapel, and I had a nickname that I dare not speak and he started calling me that and my friends kept calling me by my name, David. He asked them, "why don't you guys call him *blank*, it's so funny" and they just looked at him and said "we're his friends and we know he doesn't like it, so we don't." and he was flabbergasted. I was in the booth recording screams and heard that over the mic and almost broke down. Second came when I saw another one of them at a party and he ran up to me screaming said name and my girlfriend walked right in his face and said, "His name's fucking David" and then she laid a big one on me.

Good times.

Obviously there's some exceptions, but your ordinary day-to-day stuff can be dramatically affected by how you go into it. If you expect a shitty day at school, you'll look for the negatives all day long while being oblivious to the small positives that float by.

If you want to think that everyone sucks, fine by me, but I just think that's a miserable outlook on life. I obviously don't like everyone, but even those I don't like, I don't concern myself with them. If I have interact with them, you just be pleasant for the sake of pleasantries, and carry on your merry way.

Everyone has to sit through 4 years of high school, unless you're going to dropout, but if you're going to be there, why not look for something enjoyable instead of waking up each morning and going "school sucks... and moping through the next 7 hours. I just don't get people who have that mentality, but then again, I've always been pretty positive so I'm just used to seeing life that way.

Well, I never went in with the "school sucks" mentality after that. I just went in with a "I'm going to school to learn, not make friends. Fuck these people, I'm never going to see them again after I graduate" mentality so I COULD at least enjoy school a little bit. I found myself getting more out of my education and that I got along with the teachers moreso. I will say being incredibly skeptical about people allows me to appreciate and not take people who are genuine, kind, reliable, and over all good, for granted.

I guess you just have to pick your battles over all.

my school was / is over 50% asian, and being filipino, all of my friends were asian and still are. was in AP / honor classes and did super well in classes. listened to a lot of hip-hop and was a slacker despite getting good grades and playing counter-strike all the time, i got great grades and great scores., but i could have done better. hs didn't suck and i had fun, but college was much better. i onlystarted listening to the music i listen to now while in college

My high school years were spent from 1989-1993 at a Catholic high school. The school was comprised of nerds and jocks, not many skate punks like myself to be found. I was an angry straight edge kid who lifted way too many weights and violently beat the shit out of people who fucked with me.

Now I'm more mellow and the thought of lifting weights makes me want to take a nap. I'm still straight edge, punk, and if I lost 200 pounds would skate.