Top albums of 2009

leerobert

So Seeing as we're nearing the end of 2009 I was wondering what everyones favourite albums of the past year were. I'm currently writing my list of my Top 25 albums, which I'll post when it's finished. Anyone else care to share their choices, feel free to add small write ups as well, that's what I'll be doing!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of good stuff this year

Banner Pilot

Broadway Calls

Dear Landlord

NOFX

Strung Out

A Day To Remember

Fake Problems

Morrissey

New Found Glory

Propagandhi

Riverboat Gamblers

Polar Bear Club

Converge

American Steel

Jay-Z

Strike Anywhere

Raekwon

Brand New

Baroness

Thrice

Not sure what will actually make my year end list but off the top of my head those are the one I can think of at the moment. Im sure Im forgetting a bunch of stuff.

Guest adam526

Fun. - Aim & Ignite

Thrice - Beggars

P.TM - Satanic Satanist

^Probably the only releases that I was 100% satisfied with. There were some good albums to come out, but a lot of them were half and half with me. (Weezer, Brand New, etc)

in no order whatsoever:

converge - axe to fall

thrice - beggars

mewithoutYou - It's all crazy!...

pearl jam - backspacer

portugal. the man - the satanic satanist

paramore - brand new eyes (say what you want, it's a good album)

lucero - 1372 Overton Park

polar bear club - chasing hamburg

Mastodon Crack the Skye

Sunn O)) Monoliths and Dimensions

Gates of Slumber Hymns of blood and thunder

ISIS Wavering Radiant

Baroness Blue Record

Brutal Truth Evolution through Revolution

Skeletonwitch Breathing the fire

MONO Hymn to the Immortal wind

Tombs Winter Hours

Buried Inside Spoils of Failure

Rumpelstiltskin Grinder Living for Death, Destroying the Rest

Wolves in the Throne Room Black Cascade

Zombi Spirit Animal

more to come.

in no order whatsoever:

converge - axe to fall

thrice - beggars

mewithoutYou - It's all crazy!...

pearl jam - backspacer

portugal. the man - the satanic satanist

paramore - brand new eyes (say what you want, it's a good album)

lucero - 1372 Overton Park

polar bear club - chasing hamburg

+ 1 for you!

Thrice- Beggars

Paramore- Brand New Eyes

Portugal the Man- The Satanic Satanist

Phoenix- Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix

Tegan and Sara- Sainthood

The Appleseed Cast- Sagarmatha

Telefon Tel Aviv- Immolate Yourself

Gregory Alan Isakov- This Empty Northern Hemisphere

Converge- Axe to Fall

Vedera- Stages

Tons of great stuff this year, my #1 this year is Mono - Hymn To The Immortal Wind and I doubt there is anything that will come out to change that, so fantastic.

I have been keeping track of stuff on my Rate Your Music list, but haven't put a real order to anything. I usually wait until the last week of December when I am off work and listen to stuff to set the order.

Tons of great stuff this year, my #1 this year is Mono - Hymn To The Immortal Wind and I doubt there is anything that will come out to change that, so fantastic.

I have been keeping track of stuff on my Rate Your Music list, but haven't put a real order to anything. I usually wait until the last week of December when I am off work and listen to stuff to set the order.

I actually really liked the new mono album too. IMO, their best one yet

In no particular order.

Converge - Axe to Fall

Probably the biggest surprise for me. I've always thought the band was alright, but usually something was a little to fast or too noisy for my liking. The guests on the album provide a good deal of heterogeneity, while still providing a cohesive listening experience. This album is pretty much a compilation of all that is good in heavy music in 2009. If you post on here I'm sure you already know everything about this album.

Kidcrash - Snacks

This band is weird. Their first album is totally pop punk, and their second album is good, but pretty standard screamo fare. This third album lies somewhere in between. Highly recommended for fans of Thrice.

Native - Wrestling Moves

I don't like it as much as We Delete: Erase, but it's still pretty damn good. It's essentially post-hardcore. Not really sure who to compare them too though. I suppose this album vaguely reminds me of the first Sinaloa album, or an angrier The Reptilian if you are familiar with them.

Empire Empire - What it Takes to Move Forward

This album sounds a little less like Mineral than their previous efforts, but still encompasses the 90s emo sound. Imagine a more upbeat and louder Mineral and it would probably sound like this. The whole album is great, but worth making my list alone for the last song featuring Matt from Look Mexico.

Algernon Cadwallader - Fun EP

Fun noodley rock that never fails to make me feel good. They lost one of their guitar players but they're still just as good. RIYL Cap'n Jazz or Owls

Owen - New Leaves

Pretty standard Owen record. Mostly acoustic pop rock with some guitar noodling and electronics. I imagine most people here know who Owen is. If not, check out all of his stuff as well as the American Football record.

1994 - Thank You Arms and Fingers (not sure if this came out this year or not)

One of the craziest 2 piece bands I've ever heard of. The music is frantic guitar work and insanely talented drumming blasted at you in different time signatures with urgently screamed vocals to match. When I saw them at the Fest the drummer played so hard he almost puked. If you have the chance to catch them live and you don't then you are a fool. They sound a lot like Tiny Hawks.

Snowing - Fuck Your Emotional Bullshit

Ex- Street Smart Cyclist. Sounds like that band but a little less polished, and I don't mean that in a derogatory manner at all. They kind of remind me of a more focused Braid. It's quick and fun, but the lyrics are very personal and relatable all at the same time.

My Heart to Joy - Seasons in Verse

Emotional post-hardcore in the very best sense. I think they sound like a more optimistic and less dissonant Small Brown Bike.

Manchester Orchestra - Mean Everything to Nothing

Some songs sound like Neutral Milk Hotel, some songs are grungy, and some songs sound like a poppier Brand New. The common link is that all of the songs are good. I wouldn't really pigeonhole this album into a specific subgenre, I guess it's just rock.

Towers - Full Circle

This is an amazing heavy album. It's downtuned, noisy, and effects laden (especially lots of delay). The vocalist sounds legitimately pissed off. I'd say this album blends metal, screamo, and hardcore together seamlessly, with even a little bit of post-rock thrown in there. I believe I read a review of this album that called it post-everything and something completely it's own. I'd agree with that.

Good Luck - Into Lake Griffy

This album is pure fun. Male and female vocals trade off throughout the album. I'm pretty sure the girl is the one that did the Bruce Springsteen covers with Paul Baribeau and the guy is Matty Pop Chart. You can't listen to this album and not be happy.

I liked a lot of stuff that came out this year.

off the top of my head...

Dry-Rot

Agoraphobic Nosebleed

Dear Landlord

Converge

POS

Hatred Surge

Sick Sick Birds

Clues

Young Governor

Iron Lung/Walls/Pig Heart Transplant collab.

Banner Pilot

Portraits of Past

Hummingbird of Death

Punch

Mono

Coalesce

I'm sure there are a few I'm forgetting too.

In no particular order.

Converge - Axe to Fall

Probably the biggest surprise for me. I've always thought the band was alright, but usually something was a little to fast or too noisy for my liking. The guests on the album provide a good deal of heterogeneity, while still providing a cohesive listening experience. This album is pretty much a compilation of all that is good in heavy music in 2009. If you post on here I'm sure you already know everything about this album.

Kidcrash - Snacks

This band is weird. Their first album is totally pop punk, and their second album is good, but pretty standard screamo fare. This third album lies somewhere in between. Highly recommended for fans of Thrice.

Native - Wrestling Moves

I don't like it as much as We Delete: Erase, but it's still pretty damn good. It's essentially post-hardcore. Not really sure who to compare them too though. I suppose this album vaguely reminds me of the first Sinaloa album, or an angrier The Reptilian if you are familiar with them.

Empire Empire - What it Takes to Move Forward

This album sounds a little less like Mineral than their previous efforts, but still encompasses the 90s emo sound. Imagine a more upbeat and louder Mineral and it would probably sound like this. The whole album is great, but worth making my list alone for the last song featuring Matt from Look Mexico.

Algernon Cadwallader - Fun EP

Fun noodley rock that never fails to make me feel good. They lost one of their guitar players but they're still just as good. RIYL Cap'n Jazz or Owls

Owen - New Leaves

Pretty standard Owen record. Mostly acoustic pop rock with some guitar noodling and electronics. I imagine most people here know who Owen is. If not, check out all of his stuff as well as the American Football record.

1994 - Thank You Arms and Fingers (not sure if this came out this year or not)

One of the craziest 2 piece bands I've ever heard of. The music is frantic guitar work and insanely talented drumming blasted at you in different time signatures with urgently screamed vocals to match. When I saw them at the Fest the drummer played so hard he almost puked. If you have the chance to catch them live and you don't then you are a fool. They sound a lot like Tiny Hawks.

Snowing - Fuck Your Emotional Bullshit

Ex- Street Smart Cyclist. Sounds like that band but a little less polished, and I don't mean that in a derogatory manner at all. They kind of remind me of a more focused Braid. It's quick and fun, but the lyrics are very personal and relatable all at the same time.

My Heart to Joy - Seasons in Verse

Emotional post-hardcore in the very best sense. I think they sound like a more optimistic and less dissonant Small Brown Bike.

Manchester Orchestra - Mean Everything to Nothing

Some songs sound like Neutral Milk Hotel, some songs are grungy, and some songs sound like a poppier Brand New. The common link is that all of the songs are good. I wouldn't really pigeonhole this album into a specific subgenre, I guess it's just rock.

Towers - Full Circle

This is an amazing heavy album. It's downtuned, noisy, and effects laden (especially lots of delay). The vocalist sounds legitimately pissed off. I'd say this album blends metal, screamo, and hardcore together seamlessly, with even a little bit of post-rock thrown in there. I believe I read a review of this album that called it post-everything and something completely it's own. I'd agree with that.

Good Luck - Into Lake Griffy

This album is pure fun. Male and female vocals trade off throughout the album. I'm pretty sure the girl is the one that did the Bruce Springsteen covers with Paul Baribeau and the guy is Matty Pop Chart. You can't listen to this album and not be happy.

See -- this is why I like this year end stuff. It reminds me of things I forgot about. Snowing is a phenomenal little 7". Native is rad (I agree on We Delete...also, Native was prolly the best live band I saw in 09). Empire Empire -- I had this before anyone and forgot about it. Towers own.

Thanks man.

Also -- the Loma Prieta LP killed it for me. Love those fucking guys to death.

in no particular order:

Between the Buried and Me- The Great Misdirect

Dead and Divine- The Machines We Are

Hail Archer- Leave Your Body Behind EP

I Am The Ocean- Escapist Fiction

Inhale Exhale- Bury Me Alive

New Found Glory- Not Without A Fight

Oceans- The Great Divide

The Pilot- 137 Plane St

Red Chord- Fed Through the Teeth Machine

Return From Exile- s/t

The Things They Carried- Attention Crisis