college professor question

alright jist of the post

i feel a teacher has graded me unfairly, and i want to goto someone higher than him to talk about it. so..... has anyone done something similar

alright so im in early childhood education and the only boy in my sequence of my major, and ive had several problems with one teacher

for my lesson plans he told me i need to make it more wordy and "write like a girl"

when working my webpage he told me i need to make things "cuter"

ive talked to him about 3 questions on quizzes about them being poor questions, his response are "yeah they are poorly worded thats my fault sorry" and i wouldnt get points back

also on my webpage he marked me off points for my text being to small. on web expression it is size normal (and is perfectly legible) and his excuse when meeting with him is showing me another persons and saying i like this better.

so i meet w/ him today and im 3 points away from an A, i told him about all these points i have talked to him about throughout the semester and he just keeps making up stuff

so has anyone gone to a higher authority about a teacher.

or any tips?

thanks

sorry im ranting

i just met w/ him and am hella pissed off

Me and my friend are in the same position, kind of. We have a crazy history teacher and so far we've both made A's or B's on the three tests so far. The other day in class she yells at us for not paying attention because she's telling this 10 minute hypothetical story (that has nothing to do with anything relevant) where she keeps changing the people's names because she can't remember and has been talking so much. My friend is trying to write down all the names she said because it was funny and so we get yelled at, she tells us at the end that she hasn't graded our last test yet but she'll have them next class. Each test is half multiple choice and half essay. Me and him get our test back after she's yelled at us and instead of A's or B's he got a 63 (D) and I got a 58 (F) even though we both made the exact same amount on the multiple choice parts as we always do. She just gave us terrible grades on our essays, which are the only part she can have an opinion on.

Long story short, we're going to go to the head of the History department after the final and talk to them because we don't want to piss her off anymore before we take our final.

Oh yeah and this other girl we know in there actually did better on this test than any of the others, so it's not like she went hard on anyone else.

im also scared to talk to him to much and get him upset with me for the fear of him talking to other teachers i will be taking and them have a bias towards me

but yea... ive emailed my counselor and asked her to set up an appointment and chat with her and figure out what i need to get together, and the name of the person to talk to

i was in his clinical class for next semester (class where we go visit schools to observe/participate)

but switched out, and then yesterday he emails our entire class and says we can come see our grades and asks who switched out of his class to everyone

Guest adam526

A lot of college professors are on such a power trip, but don't take any shit from them. There are higher powers who actually give a shit about you and your work, talk to them.

You probably have little to no chance of getting the higher grade. I ran into this when I was in college. I questioned my grade and the professor went back and changed my class participation grade to leave me a few thousandths of a point short of an A. With no written evidence (she only showed me the grade previously), the Provost sided with the professor. He actually was quite rude and obnoxious about it too.

I think it's how you approach the situation...exhaust all of your options with him before going to the dept head because once you're in that arena it's going to be rough. I would schedule another meeting with him and be like "Look, I think we got off on the wrong foot, but I think I worked really hard this semester despite being the only guy in the course. My writing/project style may not be what you're used to, but I put in a lot of effort blah blah blah"

I just asked my teacher for a bump up too. I was two points away from the next highest grade on a freakin 1000 point scale. That's just ridic. I told her that I would do anything I needed to in order to earn those extra points (which each is like 1/10 of a freakin point on a regular scale) and let her know how much I enjoyed her class...yadda yadda.

also, my friend was able to get her Spanish teacher a few semesters ago to raise her a full letter grade simply because she had the balls to ask and defend her work.

TL;DR- kiss ass and suck it up.

ive talke to him a few times about it, hes just stubborn and its his way only

ive talked to him so many times about problems w/ my grade and just ignores it and changes the subject

but just got back with meeting with the lady in charge of these concerns

she goes we arent allowed to change grades (which i understand, i just want her to ask him whats up essentially)

so i go on to tell her how im 3 points away, and ive gotten 4 points off where i 110% believe i deserve those points

so she listens and is VERY HELPFUL totally understands

she says she will meet w/ him and just ask how im doin, very casually and what not

and if he says im gettin an A then she wont say anything

but if im not she has document of my concerns which she will bring up with him and ask him to explain

so im hoping that goes well

just got an email back from my professor

i have no idea what he is tryin to say

Michael, just had a conversation with Dr. Meyer. Appreciate the fact that your concern prompted you to meet and discuss our meeting that was prompted by your grade. As i told you in our meeting, the multiple facets of our course saw a large variety of grading situations. As we also discussed, I attempt to be sensitive to the thoughts and ideas of the students and to provide you with ample opportunities to discuss various points and/or answers. It asppears that your concern is over a comment that I made on one test question that I also believed could have been a possible answer, but stated to all of you that we would abide by the answer given by the creators of that particular test, that it was correct in the manner that the question was given. During our meetings this semester, we focused on the content of several assignments. I further stated to you that I understand the process you all are going through and that I would take that into consideration as I graded each project/assignment. I gave you a sheet that explained the positive and negative points of each project/assignment. When you questioned I attempted to explain the whys of the grade. It is my opinion that these were beneficial as i saw a decided improvement in your work as the semester progressed. Cummulative grading is difficult, but feel that you were provided with appropriate information and support for all that was required of you. In some ways you were an experimental group, but felt that I was above board in all aspects of the implementation of this new course material and the subsequent grading of the same. I have included you participation points and arrived at the fact that you earned 459.5 points out of 500. Using 93% as the basis for an "A", you will receive a "B" for this course.

Russ T

that sucks

i had a native american studies class where the teacher blatantly made things up for the tests, and told us that all she wanted us to get out of the calss was to stand up to authority. So i told her I thought it was bad that we had tests based on things that she says are facts when they really aren't true. Then she changed her late homework policy to take my grade down 10%, then gave me a 45 in participation when everyone else got 100 to give me a 79.9 in the class, C

it still makes me so angry

Guest eriathomas
That's weird that a 93 is an A. Everywhere around here it is a 10 point scale. 90-100 A, 80-89 B, etc.

I had this scale all the way up to college, and always thought it was weird too. It was amazing to have a 90 and get an A- though in college when it was a B before.

That's weird that a 93 is an A. Everywhere around here it is a 10 point scale. 90-100 A, 80-89 B, etc.

I had this scale all the way up to college, and always thought it was weird too. It was amazing to have a 90 and get an A- though in college when it was a B before.

Oh yeah in highschool and before it was 93-100, 86-92, and all that but all of my friends in college have the 10 point scale which I love. Actually my highschool used to be 94-100 but they changed it my junior year I think.

yea i had a 10 pt scale until college

sucks now that its a 93 all education majors have that scale

and i emailed back the lady that talked to him with the reply and saying he basically dodged my questions and didnt directly state them. and i think i may just give up some of that stuff and say how he is discrimanting against me

You've kind of fucked yourself at this point. A better strategy would have been to butter up to the dude. If you tongue their asses, most college professors are likely to let things slide and round up. Now that you've pissed him off you're NEVER getting an A. Going over his head isn't likely to get you anywhere. Unless it's something egregious, the department head won't do shit.

You've kind of fucked yourself at this point. A better strategy would have been to butter up to the dude. If you tongue their asses, most college professors are likely to let things slide and round up. Now that you've pissed him off you're NEVER getting an A. Going over his head isn't likely to get you anywhere. Unless it's something egregious, the department head won't do shit.

i do believe ive kind of fucked myself haha

but ive tried so hard already to get him to adjust my assignment points, and i wouldnt fight for them if i didnt believe 100% that i am right. whenever i bring up the issues to him he changes subjects

i even tried to just regular talk to him about stuff, get to know him and try and connect, he loves building decks and told him how woodworking is one of my hobbies and how i love to fix up stuff.

didnt work that well

I had a professor in college that tried to fail me because I missed too many days. I had mono and misses a couple weeks of the class but handed in all my assignments and passes all my tests. The grading rubric stated that attendance was a certain percentage of the grade and she took that entire percentage away. I showed her my doctor note stating I had mono and she said "Sorry I can't change my rubric." She was the department head so I went to the dean. I got my grade changed to the B I deserved. Keep going higher and try to make sure you never have this professor again.