"in back" (retail related)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i worked for the Buckle for awhile and actually kind of liked it when people would ask me to check the back for things...gave me a chance to dick around and pretend to look for it while avoiding customers at the same time.

sometimes you just have those days where if you see one more tween buying $500 worth of jeans on daddy's credit card while ignoring you to type on their fuckin' blackberry you're going to go jihad on everybody's asses.

that's when it's time to duck out and look for a size you already know you don't carry.

i feel like he mustve been losing money to inflation to have that many 5's and 1's, that seems so weird. I can't imagine anyone just putting all their ones and fives in a jar.

who in the fuck pays for a tv in such little denominations.

i'll tell you what though. the fun thing about working xmas is when you get a chance to stand behind the securtiy in front checking the cameras and seeing people shoplift.. holy shit that's some funny shit when they get busted.

best thing ever. we had some guy try to steal like 10 video games and run out a exit door not knowing theres a 15 second time delay on the door, he fucking ran into it and fell on his ass.. even the customers laughed.

i feel like he mustve been losing money to inflation to have that many 5's and 1's, that seems so weird. I can't imagine anyone just putting all their ones and fives in a jar.

i'll tell you what though. the fun thing about working xmas is when you get a chance to stand behind the securtiy in front checking the cameras and seeing people shoplift.. holy shit that's some funny shit when they get busted.

best thing ever. we had some guy try to steal like 10 video games and run out a exit door not knowing theres a 15 second time delay on the door, he fucking ran into it and fell on his ass.. even the customers laughed.

I remember I was working one time and Assets Protection was outside litterally standing behind a shoplifter...

While he was unlocking his bike.

Haha

I remember I was working one time and Assets Protection was outside litterally standing behind a shoplifter...

While he was unlocking his bike.

Haha

holy crap....

we had a on-duty cop that worked at my store (the abq). we had gangsters trying to shoplift all the time. we had one dude try to steal some rap albums and in that bunch was a ann murray cd or something... something really obscure.

we had a guy calling the security racist bastards because they wouldn't give him his money back for some fucking vacuum cleaner that was used and that we didn't even carry. he made a scene and it was funny.

I saw a whole grip of shit at my store. One time out in the parking lot one of the guards got a knife pulled on her and some random customer just socked the knife fucker in the back of the head knocking him out.

Then another time we had this assets protection chick who thought she was a bad ass and no one could get by her, well one time in lawn in garden this guy grabbed her by the head and slammed her into the wall and then he booked it out the fire exit with a bunch of shit.

I saw a whole grip of shit at my store. One time out in the parking lot one of the guards got a knife pulled on her and some random customer just socked the knife fucker in the back of the head knocking him out.

Then another time we had this assets protection chick who thought she was a bad ass and no one could get by her, well one time in lawn in garden this guy grabbed her by the head and slammed her into the wall and then he booked it out the fire exit with a bunch of shit.

i love hearing retail war stories.

holy shit!!

Why would anyone even ask for A Christmas Carol when you can get A Muppet Christmas Carol instead.

Fuck i forgot all about that movie.. i should go buy it.

I'm usually all about SCROOGED and 8 CRAZY NIGHTS during Christmas. I see Christmas Story at least once a year during the 24h Marathon on TBS though. I love Xmas movies. Bad Santa yo!!!

You are forgetting the absolute best Christmas movie... Christmas Vacation!

If I wasn't clear enough when I said I considered the albums he was talking about to fall into the tickle me elmo camp of product I'm sorry. None of my posts are directed at OP, just general conversation on the topic.

Also you don't know hell until you've worked Christmas Eve and Day at a video store.

"what do you mean you don't have its a wonderful life, i bet someone just dropped it off in the box right there a second ago!" so you have to run to the drop box w/ a line to the back of the store and search through a thousand dvds/tapes that all look the same to find the one that isn't there to satisfy the crazy rich lady. I'd so much rather be out on the floor answering questions. :)

general conversation? oh ok.. it almost seemed you knew and kinda didn't know why he was ranting.. my bad.

funny that you should say that (about working a movie store). I have. I once worked at a neighborhood videostore back in 04'. I was the only one in town and had to work xmas eve and xmas. Good times!.

Anyway, this lady comes in on Christmas eve looking for a copy of "A Christmas Carol". I told her we were out. She asked if we had any for sale. I told her "nah, i'm sorry we dont, and we don't have any for rent either.". She then asked if maybe i could check. I explained that we were out. Now i know we were out. There was no possibility it would possibly be there. I rented out the copy 2 days prior and it wasn't due for 2 more days. And I had already checked in all the movies that had been returned.

I explained to her that there are no copies in the back. We only have one and i rented it out a few days ago and it hasn't been returned. Suddenly she gets irate and starts talking about how her granddaughter who was there in the store was going to be disappointed. Her granddaughter couldn't give a flying fuck about that movie because she was asking to rent "A christmas story". I wound up leaning forward over the counter and asked her granddaughter "would you like to rent A Christmas story? We have it in stock". THe grandmother gets furious and starts telling me how that movie is the devils work and that she wouldn't dare let her granddaughter watch it. I told her, you don't have to even rent it. it's on for 24 hours right now (it was in earshot of her granddaughter too).. lol. She got pissed and said that thanks to me her granddaughter was going to have a horrible Christmas and stormed out of there. I just said in a shallow voice as she was out of earhshot "yea, merry xmas too you too bitch" and started laughing. I wish we had videocameras in that store that recorded audio. that shit was fuuuuunnnnyyyy.

that is the only irate customer i had for those 22 hours i worked those two days..

No prob, I'll be clearer in the future. :)

I think everyone in retail has snapped a few times. My best involved a late fee. Dude came in and said "That wasn't late!" even though it had been returned at the exact same time as two other tapes that weren't late, so it wasn't as if we had put it back on the shelf w/out checking it in and it had been checked in late when we rented it to someone else or something. I was going to help the guy but right as I was about to explain how I was going to help him out he says "you're a liar. you probably scan things as late all the time to make a quota or something."

Fuck him. I snapped.

"Sir... you got me." I said.

"What?"

"You got me, though this isn't about a quota, its about you. A few years ago you ran over my dog, and I ran out into the street to see you driving away. I wrote down your tag number and hunted you for years. When I found out where you lived I got a job at the local blockbuster and worked my way up to assistant manager just so I could some day get my revenge by checking your movie in late and making you feel the cold sting of a 3.50 late fee for a two week late movie. Revenge is indeed sweet."

He looked at me with utter confusion which quickly became blind rage. He screamed "fuck you" and stormed out. When he called the district manager and told him the story the dude said "sir none of our employees are that stupid, there is no way he told you that." and I didn't get in trouble. Fun times.

general conversation? oh ok.. it almost seemed you knew and kinda didn't know why he was ranting.. my bad.

funny that you should say that (about working a movie store). I have. I once worked at a neighborhood videostore back in 04'. I was the only one in town and had to work xmas eve and xmas. Good times!.

Anyway, this lady comes in on Christmas eve looking for a copy of "A Christmas Carol". I told her we were out. She asked if we had any for sale. I told her "nah, i'm sorry we dont, and we don't have any for rent either.". She then asked if maybe i could check. I explained that we were out. Now i know we were out. There was no possibility it would possibly be there. I rented out the copy 2 days prior and it wasn't due for 2 more days. And I had already checked in all the movies that had been returned.

I explained to her that there are no copies in the back. We only have one and i rented it out a few days ago and it hasn't been returned. Suddenly she gets irate and starts talking about how her granddaughter who was there in the store was going to be disappointed. Her granddaughter couldn't give a flying fuck about that movie because she was asking to rent "A christmas story". I wound up leaning forward over the counter and asked her granddaughter "would you like to rent A Christmas story? We have it in stock". THe grandmother gets furious and starts telling me how that movie is the devils work and that she wouldn't dare let her granddaughter watch it. I told her, you don't have to even rent it. it's on for 24 hours right now (it was in earshot of her granddaughter too).. lol. She got pissed and said that thanks to me her granddaughter was going to have a horrible Christmas and stormed out of there. I just said in a shallow voice as she was out of earhshot "yea, merry xmas too you too bitch" and started laughing. I wish we had videocameras in that store that recorded audio. that shit was fuuuuunnnnyyyy.

that is the only irate customer i had for those 22 hours i worked those two days..

I think everyone in retail has snapped a few times. My best involved a late fee. Dude came in and said "That wasn't late!" even though it had been returned at the exact same time as two other tapes that weren't late, so it wasn't as if we had put it back on the shelf w/out checking it in and it had been checked in late when we rented it to someone else or something. I was going to help the guy but right as I was about to explain how I was going to help him out he says "you're a liar. you probably scan things as late all the time to make a quota or something."

Fuck him. I snapped.

"What?"

"You got me, though this isn't about a quota, its about you. A few years ago you ran over my dog, and I ran out into the street to see you driving away. I wrote down your tag number and hunted you for years. When I found out where you lived I got a job at the local blockbuster and worked my way up to assistant manager just so I could some day get my revenge by checking your movie in late and making you feel the cold sting of a 3.50 late fee for a two week late movie. Revenge is indeed sweet."

He looked at me with utter confusion which quickly became blind rage. He screamed "fuck you" and stormed out. When he called the district manager and told him the story the dude said "sir none of our employees are that stupid, there is no way he told you that." and I didn't get in trouble. Fun times.

I'm gonna +1 you at least 3 times for that story.. you know that... hahahhaha

I once had a customer try to buy a food with a scratch off lottery ticket. It did not work.

Fuck him. I snapped.

"What?"

I'm gonna +1 you at least 3 times for that story.. you know that... hahahhaha

I once had a customer try to buy a food with a scratch off lottery ticket. It did not work.

Thanks sir. It was one of my finer moments. My boss called me and recited the whole story as the district manager had told her. She said "i'm not going to narc you, but that is totally something you would say. did you really do that?" i just laughed my ass off.

i have worked retail in a parts department for a while, dealing with walk in customers. the idiots that come in amaze me. the best are the assholes who dont speak a bit of english and expect you to know their native language. the haitians/islanders are the the absolute worse. i have been called racist more times than not because i dont give discounts to people that demand it/talk on their phone/argue/scream/etc. this one guy named sank-off decided to pull this garbage with me one day. once we were both good and irate he grabbed my bottle of water and spit in it. joke was on him because it was a customers who was paying the cashier. i thought i was going to see two truck drivers exchange fistacuffs.

another time we didnt have something this guy was sure we would have. he was dealing with another guy i refer to as the "fat-jedi". he is this super nerdy/christian/overweight guy who is one of the most down to earth, awesome people i have ever met. anyway, the guy began to get loud with him and wanted to speak with a manager and there was not one around. the fat-jedi stayed polite with the guy and eventually just, out of no where, the guy goes "you fat fuck." the three of us just got super quiet and sat there for what felt like five minutes. the next thing the guy muttered was "racist". the jedi grabbed the drivers keys off the counter where he set them, ran out the front door and threw them over the fence and on to I-75. the guy looked completely shocked and then started to say something but the jedi cut him off and said "your keys are getting ran over and bent up right now". the guy stood there for a second and then took off out the door and nothing ever came of it. the jedi was sure he lost his job. he told me he felt like he was losing either his job or his dignity that night, but not both.