VC 2009: The Year in Review

drabley

There’s a list or a year end review for pretty much every other facet of existence, so why not here too? I spend as much time with this island of misfit toys as any other, and feel like I’ve come to know some of the personalities on this board reasonably well. In reflecting back on my own 2009 – the good, the bad, the ugly – there were several instances where there is some overlap to this mystical place of online wonderment.

So post up your VC memories -- the fond, the funny, the fucked up:

-- Threads that made you laugh, cry, or pull your hair out by the fist full.

-- New faces from 2009 – good or bad

-- Familiar faces that left – good or bad

Etc.

Meeting the great Casey is tops of 2009.

Getting to know A-Money ranks highly.

The departure of Dante3000 was most notable in that regard. That Richard guy who took over in his place is okay, but I much preferred Dante3000.

Ryan wins for sharing my taste in music almost exactly. Josh would be second.

You?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+ Meeting Drabs, even though we only got to hang out a couple times before he moved

+Making friends with mattstrike even though we didn't get to go to Fest

+Making friends with a bunch of other people

+Getting some amazing deals in the Sale thread

+Steponme deleting account. That chick was obnoxious.

+Another successful year of Secret Santa

-Sputtering out of VC book club

-I'm sure I'll think of more negatives, but my short term memory is fucked.

-Stupid fight with Hickey about drunk driving, tho I think we're cool now

+Getting some amazing deals in the Sale thread...as well as the X-Mas sale

+ Meeting controlthebleeding, Tom Fraj, Flood, Scott, Casey, chuckdiezel, NoEffinIdea, dynamite kid, Justin Communique, aarondanger, and a few more boardies that are slipping my mind at the moment (sorry, bad memory on my part) either at fest, pre-fest, or just in general this year. Everyone was was cool. 8-)

+ Won my first VC test press contest!

+ The new influx of VC ladies (the real ones, not the fake servo ones...redrocket, I am looking in your direction :P) joining/posting recently...what? Someone had to say it.

- VC drama...however it manifests itself (rumor mongering, "epic" meltdowns, VC/SH/Co-Op bashing/whining etc.)

- No new Gaslight stuff this year... ;D

+Steponme deleting account. That chick was obnoxious.

lol @ this.

+ great dudes making me feel better after a rough relationship year (juan, scotty, dan and alan, to name a few)

+ hanging out with jason, nicole & joe in phill-ay. (needs to happen again!)

+ more hanging with jordan in lancaster at the baizley opening. i laugh because we spent the majority of our real-life hang time discussing a. records and b. VC

+ making a true friend in bradley.

+ knowing you guys well enough to be on a first name basis rather than using your names on here. lolz.

+/- the muzzy debaucle. you all k now to what i am referring. it's ok, cuz we're bff now.

- that horrible and (in retrospect) embarassing breakup thread i made. do not fault me for that; i was a little nuts at the time.

i'm sure that i'll think of more later on!

2009 has been pretty shitty for me minus FEST. Lots of family drama and my mom's health going to shit has kept me pretty bummed most of the year. Not to mention my cynicism.

But what was good this year is meeting some of the boardies I haven't met plus the regulars.

Casey, Patrick, and Santiago. Words can not describe How thankful i am of you 3.. Hanging out with all of you was a blast. I appreciate everything and i hope we are able to hang out more next fest or if you ever come to Austin you always have a place to stay.

Meeting other boardies during fest was fun as well as hanging out with some of the regulars.

People i met: Chuck, Kyle, Corey, Justin, Scott H, Richard (for all of 3 seconds), Matt, Luke, Lydiaawesome, Aaron, OP Eric, and Eric T., Tom, Brian, Tony, and a few others i might have forgot. Good to meet you all.

I was also lucky enough to meet Steponme (even though she's not on here anymore) and she was nice enough to meet me in the back bay in Boston and show me around along with taking me to a quaint restaurant in that area for some drinks and food.

As far as Drama: i try not really cause or contribute to any. I'm too old for shit like that. It has been quite entertaining reading it though. Especially the Toby one that bled into the VLV board. that has to be probably the funniest and meanest drama filled thread i read and it had me in tears.

the only negative thing on this board is the fact that there isn't enough info and talk of the punk/hardcore/power violence/sludge variety. I have to frequent other threads for it.

good dudes/dudes i would have a beer with. Juan, Nick, Mark, Mike D, Scott M, Yu, Darrell, Devin, Casey

Chick that rules the planet- Allison

+ the lols.

+ being part of a community where dudes call you by your first name

+/- various vinyl related threads

--- pens winning the stanley cup and its coverage on here

I hate to start my post like this, but I guess the one thing I regret the most is not going to FEST and meeting all of you crazies....It seems like there are some really rad people on this board and hopefully in 2010 we'll all get to drink PBR together until we can't stand up, whilst watching great bands. seriously though, this is the only message board I've ever posted on and probably the only one I'll ever post on, even though we have negativity it seems like it pales in comparison to what goes on/or what I've heard about on other boards.

The one thing I'm thankful for is hanging out w/getting to know Mike D. (controlthebleeding) I've seen his name pop up in this thread a number of times, and that's because he's one of the nicest, most genuine people I've ever met.

Mike, I know whenever you talk about moving out of town I joke around and say "c'mon, dude what'd you wanna do that for" ....but it seriously bums me out thinking about you not being in Austin...you're seriously one of my best friends here.

/Oprah Moment.

Marty, same goes here, but since i met you last year and you are now part of my regular friends i don't feel the need to post about you in this thread. Which reminds me, you and nick need to come hang out and play pool when i move. which will be by end of week... possibly help me move too :P

Alan, you are a few hours away, you should come visit and have a beer with me and marty.. Hell Aaron comes from time to time. you should catch a ride with him.. he's awesome too!! will totally spoon with you at night if you're cold.. at least that's what eric tells me.

^^^mike it's all good buddy. I'm gonna be in Florida till the 28th I think? so depending on when you're moving I might not but let me know. we'll definitely hang whenever I get back regardless. are you going back to corpus? I can't remember if you told me you were or you weren't.

I don't think so.... i'll be here enjoying my christmas rather than being home and it being painful to see my mom (she just got her hand amputated today). besides i already saw her and she doesnt even know who i am anymore. I'll b there after the new year though so it'll be like making up for it.

This year has been weird! I met so many people from the boards AND I didn't go to the fest!

I met Scott, P-Fresh, Troymess, Michael3000, xxmartinxx, circlingvultures, chap and Allison! It's such a strange experience meeting people you already know for the first time. haha

Earlier this year I felt like there was a huge influx of new people that have actually stayed around and have kept involved, which is definitely cool and good for this place!

I'm kind of bummed that barrie quit and I too miss the funnier, more active Dante.

I think my favorite thread was when VC was under attack from Scott posting the dude from AP.net's contact info. So fucking awesome.

Also, did scott m.'s hooker adventure happen this year? lolz.