HOT TOPIC CLEARANCE VINYL THREAD - UPDATED 12/6/11

Some OOOOOOOld stuff that Ive never even seen before at HT and Ive been working in buying music for HT stores for about 4-5 years.

such as?

There was some LP from The Roots, a Jurassic 5 12", HIM - Darklight 2xLP (sweet packaging), American Idiot, some old Slipknot stuff...I cant even remember everything I bought. A lot of stuff I wouldnt have normally bought but since it was so cheap I snagged it.

Just hadnt seen most of that stuff in HT stores...at least not for a long time.

Megadeth - Peace Sells, Bayside - Shudder, Beck - Modern Guilt, Civet LP...

My girlfriend is starting a little vinyl collection so I picked up quite a few things for her.

I think I bought 17 records in total and cant remember most of them right now but it was only about $50 total.

I would bet that there are a lot of records they sell zero of before they go on clearance.

You would lose that bet :)

Well, for example, they had the latest Bomb LP at the one mall I went to. I can't imagine they've sold any of those. In fact, I doubt that Hot Topic makes enough money off vinyl to really make it worth the money they lose blowing it out every few months.

You would lose that bet :)

Well, for example, they had the latest Bomb LP at the one mall I went to. I can't imagine they've sold any of those. In fact, I doubt that Hot Topic makes enough money off vinyl to really make it worth the money they lose blowing it out every few months.

If it wasnt profitable, HT wouldnt carry vinyl.

every single hot topic ive gone to, every time i ask if they have any in the back, and they always say no, but i make them check anyway, and i always feel like they are lying to me....

haha I doubt it, they wanna get rid of that stuff if they have it.

Just ask tho, if they have any in the back, they will pull it out for you.

I would imagine that if they make any profit, it's slim. I think they carry vinyl to "up their street cred", but at the end of the day, when you can't sell Beastie Boys, Get Up Kids, and Sunny Day Real Estate LPs, you fail at selling vinyl.

I would imagine that if they make any profit, it's slim. I think they carry vinyl to "up their street cred", but at the end of the day, when you can't sell Beastie Boys, Get Up Kids, and Sunny Day Real Estate LPs, you fail at selling vinyl.

Alright dude, you can think what ever you want. Im not going to argue with you.

I went to the one by me, they have vinyl, but they don't have anything on damn clearance.

no they probably did. like someone told me, read the first page of this thread. even if they dont say they are discounted they really are. i went back this weekend and bought a lot of records that i wouldnt have thought were on clearance cause they still had original prices on them, but they were on the list on the first page of this thread so i knew they were

Alright dude, you can think what ever you want. Im not going to argue with you.

HT is a business first and foremost, they obviously wouldn't be doing this if they weren't making enough money to justify carrying vinyl. i got my first clearance record at HT probably 5 years ago. you'd think they'd figure it out in that time if it was worth it or not.

You're making an assumption that out of all the copies of those records that Hot Topic orders, none sells until they're put on clearance. That's obviously not true. I'm sure there are some titles that are "misses" for the chain (like the BYO box, which I'm sure sold pretty piss-poor until it was marked down), but for the most part, they obviously sell enough copies of the stuff in question to warrant continuing carrying vinyl.

Besides, Travis is the goddamn vinyl buyer at Hot Topic. The dude would know if it was profitable or not.

The point of clearance -- for ANY store -- is to clear out remaining old stock to make room for new stock. The end.

You're making an assumption that out of all the copies of those records that Hot Topic orders, none sells until they're put on clearance. That's obviously not true. I'm sure there are some titles that are "misses" for the chain (like the BYO box, which I'm sure sold pretty piss-poor until it was marked down), but for the most part, they obviously sell enough copies of the stuff in question to warrant continuing carrying vinyl.

Besides, Travis is the goddamn vinyl buyer at Hot Topic. The dude would know if it was profitable or not.

The point of clearance -- for ANY store -- is to clear out remaining old stock to make room for new stock. The end.

yes, yes and yes. you are 100% correct, my friend.

Travis, have you ever thought about having all the stores send their clearance vinyl back to homebase and re-stock HT.com with it? It just seems like a lot of these titles are out there in the wild when there are plenty of people who would be willing to purchase them if they only could.

Travis, have you ever thought about having all the stores send their clearance vinyl back to homebase and re-stock HT.com with it? It just seems like a lot of these titles are out there in the wild when there are plenty of people who would be willing to purchase them if they only could.

yea thats not a bad idea. gonna have to check on the logistics of that.

yea thats not a bad idea. gonna have to check on the logistics of that.

it is kind of cool stumbling on that old gem for a few bucks though

The vinyl in stores gets pretty beat up at times. I'd hate to place an online order and get that. (The one near me has a few of those Decaydance 7" Box Sets, and they're not only dirt cheap, but they're absolutely obliterated. Granted these have been there probably for years, but still)

I went to the one by me, they have vinyl, but they don't have anything on damn clearance.

no they probably did. like someone told me, read the first page of this thread. even if they dont say they are discounted they really are. i went back this weekend and bought a lot of records that i wouldnt have thought were on clearance cause they still had original prices on them, but they were on the list on the first page of this thread so i knew they were

yeah ive encountered that. alot of the people that work at my local hot topics are too fucking lazy to move records to the clearance, or even marking it, so thank god for travis.

im not complaining though, it gives me an edge on getting what i want (like the thrice alchemy index) people wont buy it cause they dont know its on clearance, which gives me a better chance of picking it up.

and ive tried getting clearance vinyl shipped over to my store from other ones, but they said they wont transfer clearance. is that true travis?

yeah ive encountered that. alot of the people that work at my local hot topics are too fucking lazy to move records to the clearance, or even marking it, so thank god for travis.

im not complaining though, it gives me an edge on getting what i want (like the thrice alchemy index) people wont buy it cause they dont know its on clearance, which gives me a better chance of picking it up.

and ive tried getting clearance vinyl shipped over to my store from other ones, but they said they wont transfer clearance. is that true travis?

yea im pretty sure it is. just not really worth it to pay money to ship something that we will sell for less than it cost to ship it to another store. i think thats for anything on clearance.