Conan getting "replaced" by Leno?

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/07/update-nbc-plans-leno-at-1130-conan-at-12/

After the Olympics, Leno would get his 11:35 time slot back, which would push Conan to 12:05. Kinda fucking lame, especially since Leno sucks, which has no doubt hurt Conan's audience because he doesn't get the benefit of a decent lead-in.

Laaaaaaaaaaame.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's more, per TMZ:

As TMZ first reported, after the Olympics, Jay Leno will get his 11:30 PM time period back. We're told network execs have told Conan they will let him decide if he wants the midnight to 1:00 AM time slot. If he does, Leno's show will only be a half hour. If Conan walks, Leno will get a full hour, informed sources tell TMZ.

Our sources say Conan has not decided what he wants. We do know he's pissed, because he was given no advanced warning this was coming. Conan's people told NBC they are considering the offer.

We're told if Conan gets another offer, even though NBC could block the move, they will let him go and give Leno the full hour.

If Leno didn't have his prime time show then this probably wouldn't have happened.

Whenever the Tonight Show replaced their host the audience would have to adjust to new person. This would allow the new host to build on the already present fan base and bring in new fans as well. But with Leno having a prime time show his fans didn't bother watching Conan because they didn't need to, they could just watch Leno earlier and wouldn't have to adjust to a different style of comedy. Couple this with the fact that Conan gets a lot of online viewers and it just shows that he never really had a fair chance.

just lost the whatever respect i had left for Leno, which was very little to start with. the only thing i actually liked that he did on the tonight show was Headlines, and he did zero work when it came to that, it was already all done for him.

a $50 million buyout for Conan is pretty damn good, but how much he would make if he kept doing the show for another 10-15 years.

I hate when people dont know their time is up. Its beyond classless that Leno would get back his time slot after he passed the torch on the Tonight Show.

Johnny Carson would be ashamed.

as much as I hate Leno, the move wasn't his idea, and he didn't want to move. He said he'd be a company man, and do it, but he thought it was a bad idea. Now NBC wants to move him back to salvage the ratings. I'm more interested in seeing what happens to Fallon. I've really started to like his show, and I think he's been able to find his footing. And come on, his band is The Roots!

Yeah, Jimmy Fallon has actually settled in quite nicely in his timeslot. I can see him lasting on that show for quite a while.

Also, I'm guessing that if Conan decides to do a midnight show, that will mean the end of Carson Daly's 1:30 a.m. show, unless they really want to do four separate late-night talk shows every night. Seems redundant.

I hate when people dont know their time is up. Its beyond classless that Leno would get back his time slot after he passed the torch on the Tonight Show.

Johnny Carson would be ashamed.

as much as I hate Leno, the move wasn't his idea, and he didn't want to move. He said he'd be a company man, and do it, but he thought it was a bad idea. Now NBC wants to move him back to salvage the ratings. I'm more interested in seeing what happens to Fallon. I've really started to like his show, and I think he's been able to find his footing. And come on, his band is The Roots!

Leno said in an interview in November that if they offered him the tonight show he would take it back. This resulted in Andy Richter putting him on blast in an interview. He should've passed on the idea. I dont believe the dude is a company man,hes a guy who didnt want to give up the show and only stayed with NBC after he threaten to go to Fox and they offered him a shitload of cash to stay.

This whole thing should not have occurred. Leno needed to give up television all together. The fact is NBC (CBS? I don't know) needs to rally behind Conan and not Leno. If you really believe(d) he is/was the future of late night he's the one you need to bank on and not Leno, who has had his time. The main issue is Leno's ratings are shit tanking and it goes Leno, News, Conan. What the fuck kind of a lead in is that? It's embarrassing that this is even happening and Conan should walk and take his shit to another network. The move would probably generate enough buzz to get him a bigger audience.