Advice for my site

I've posted about this before, but I'm looking for some new insight.

HTTP://WWW.RUSTBELTRISING.COM

Head on over there and take a look.

- What are your initial impressions?

- What could we do better?

- What don't you like?

- Are there any websites in your community that does anything similar? If so, could you provide me with a link.

- We post shows to Facebook / Twitter, but could we do anything better from a social media aspect?

- We're still struggling for a logo and an overall visual identity. If you have any ideas shoot them to me.

In case you're not sure what Rust Belt Rising is... A few of my friends and I have put this website together as a way to capture all of the shows in the Rust Belt region. A lot of us have traveled to shows in the past, so we thought it would be a great idea to have one place to list all of the shows.

We really want promoters / venue owners to sign up and post their own shows. A handful do already, but for the most part we enter the majority of the shows.

Thanks in advance!

i'd love if someone made a site like this but for more dc/baltimore/central pa/philly stuff (being that it's much closer to me).

i like it because it's organized and simple. you don't have to click through a gazillion things to access the information that you want to see. i also like the little pictures of the states on the right hand side, which makes it easier to scan the page quickly just for shows in your state.

good job with it!

I guess you probably don't want to do a carbon copy, but I like this site a lot. http://gainesvillebands.com/shows.asp

The things I like the most about it that your site didn't have are the descriptions that pop up when hovering over a band, and the color coding (bright blue for added within last 24 hours, medium blue for 48, and regular blue for older than that).

i'd love if someone made a site like this but for more dc/baltimore/central pa/philly stuff (being that it's much closer to me).

i like it because it's organized and simple. you don't have to click through a gazillion things to access the information that you want to see. i also like the little pictures of the states on the right hand side, which makes it easier to scan the page quickly just for shows in your state.

good job with it!

allison, i used to use this site when i lived in virginia. it covers dc and balitimore among other places

http://www.pheer.com/

ever seen it before?

I'd shrink the height on the individual show listings so you can see more on the page (especially on a laptop).

Maybe do a color-coded bar (diff. color for when shows were posted, or color-coded by state) with the date, venue, and headliner. When you click on it, it expands downward with more info (time, price, address, supporting acts, etc.).

it's not that visually appealing. a different color format would be great and the calender to left with color coded dates like the 1% site to show which dates have shows are pretty good. i think if you take a little from everyone here and the all websites mentioned it should turn out pretty good. centering everything almost makes it look like the TX show list which is pretty blah.

start by using natural colors for the background. white is just so plain. I've always found that natural dark colors (forest green, light brown, maroon and as a last resort black tend to work well and everything else stands out, rather than on a white background. if you chose a light color for background, you should still go with natural colors. you want to build constrast but you don't want to cause eye fatigue. go out and buy a color harmony book or find a site that has color palette of different color harmonies. I think adobe has one on thier site. I know i've used one before to get hex codes. just try to keep away from a white background and stick within 3 to 5 colors.

I normally don't work on websites much, but i know what's best for everyone's eyes.. also try not to use blues or reds for text no matter what the background color is.

hope this helps.

I really dig the simplicity of your site and the state shapes. Makes finding your own beyond easy. I like it!

I've always dug how easy this CT based site was.... http://www.manicproductions.org/

It would have been cool if that site didn't automatically start playing music and ruining my Japandroids!

I would less information on the front page. Maybe just the next week or 10 days worth of shows.

The ability to filter and/or search for a band would be a nice addition. I bet you could do two columns too.

I personally like the sparseness of it all, its a nice place to start from. Adding some color and a logo would be welcome but I think you know that. I would also think about color coding the states so you have a visual cue outside on top of the graphic.

it's not that visually appealing. a different color format would be great and the calender to left with color coded dates like the 1% site to show which dates have shows are pretty good. i think if you take a little from everyone here and the all websites mentioned it should turn out pretty good. centering everything almost makes it look like the TX show list which is pretty blah.

start by using natural colors for the background. white is just so plain. I've always found that natural dark colors (forest green, light brown, maroon and as a last resort black tend to work well and everything else stands out, rather than on a white background. if you chose a light color for background, you should still go with natural colors. you want to build constrast but you don't want to cause eye fatigue. go out and buy a color harmony book or find a site that has color palette of different color harmonies. I think adobe has one on thier site. I know i've used one before to get hex codes. just try to keep away from a white background and stick within 3 to 5 colors.

I normally don't work on websites much, but i know what's best for everyone's eyes.. also try not to use blues or reds for text no matter what the background color is.

hope this helps.

Thanks for the comments, what is the "TX show list?"

hope this helps.

Thanks for the comments, what is the "TX show list?"

http://showlistaustin.com/ there's a bunch of showlists around texas.. so... we just call it the tx show list for some reason..