ATTN SCOTT!!! RE: AP DRAMA!

DUDE. You people have got to get lives instead of swimming in other peoples shit. AP sucks a big one. All that shitty magazine has to offer is ad space and shitty interviews with shitty bands with shitty angular haircuts. Fuck AP. Bands grow up and their sound changes who gives a shit? (obviously you people do) BANDS LIKE TO MATURE AND TRY NEW SHIT! I on the other hand couldnt be more fucking excited to hear Against Me's new album! I'm gonna buy it the day it comes out as long as its on vinyl. Hell, Tom I'd be honored to put you guys on the cover of my new zine any fucking day of the week! I wish I could reissue their out of print records on my label! Against Me has been a breath of fresh air in a very stale music industry. AP on the other hand stinks like garbage bag juice and burnt ass hair.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DUDE. You people have got to get lives instead of swimming in other peoples shit. AP sucks a big one. All that shitty magazine has to offer is ad space and shitty interviews with shitty bands with shitty angular haircuts. Fuck AP. Bands grow up and their sound changes who gives a shit? (obviously you people do) BANDS LIKE TO MATURE AND TRY NEW SHIT! I on the other hand couldnt be more fucking excited to hear Against Me's new album! I'm gonna buy it the day it comes out as long as its on vinyl. Hell, Tom I'd be honored to put you guys on the cover of my new zine any fucking day of the week! I wish I could reissue their out of print records on my label! Against Me has been a breath of fresh air in a very stale music industry. AP on the other hand stinks like garbage bag juice and burnt ass hair.

You do realize you are sucking up to a fake account, right?

So it makes sense to shit all over the hard work of a bunch of people just because no one is stopping you? It's just that attitude that has left the streets of Rome covered in dog feces.

Yeah, pretty much. Hard work? Really? Hard work is writing a new album knowing that every message board fanboy is expecting the next Reinventing Axl Rose. Hard work is spending most of your year on the road, dealing with icy roads as well as crazy fans and boring magazine writers who need an edge to sell issues, and putting on great shows 5 nights a week. Selling ads and writing about Brand New...not so hard.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. I've had a lot of jobs and being a writer/editor is easily the most soul-destroying and mentally taxing one of them. I also know a lot of people in bands and many of them had much higher fan expectations than Against Me!. I know what they put up with. I've seen them lose their friends in terrible accidents on those icy roads, I've watched them wrestle with the tribulations of being creative while label assholes and gossip board pinheads pick apart their every move. Bands work really, really hard and most don't have anything to show for it at the end of the line.

They also enjoy what they do. If someone puts a gun in your back and forces you down a mine shaft to dig for diamonds, then go ahead and bitch about how hard you've got it compared to a music writer. But when you're adored by thousands of kids, can get a blowjob in every city you play, get to fucking PLAY PUNK MUSIC every day of your life and have the satisfaction of seeing your art in stores and in the hands of people all over the world, maybe don't act like you've got the toughest job in the world. I'm guessing Tom loves what he does, even the parts where people talk about him on the Internet. If someone offered him a job tomorrow making $50K to sit in a room all day and telemarket insurance I'm guessing he'd turn them down pretty quick.

You do realize you are sucking up to a fake account, right?

I'm not sucking up, I'm just stating my opinion and how I feel. If its a fake account who cares.

Everyone is missing the main thing right now...

...Where is "Who Cares"?

This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. If you don't care, why are you even reading the post? Do your thing by all means, but the people posting in the post are the ones who care, obviously.

I think he was referring to the user "Who Cares?", not explicitly asking "Who Cares?". Bit of a grey area.

Everyone is missing the main thing right now...

...Where is "Who Cares"?

This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. If you don't care, why are you even reading the post? Do your thing by all means, but the people posting in the post are the ones who care, obviously.

Im not saying I don't care,I was just asking where he was. Its like when people are wondering where Superman when they're in trouble then he may appear if you get lucky.

Quit taking the internet business so seriously and have a laugh. Tom busted a dick move by insulting the first major American magazine to put AM! on the cover. the AP EIC can say what he wants, given the fact that Tom busted a low blow on him first.

Also, I'll tell you why I like AP even though it caters to almost none of the music I listen to: Despite being a magazine meant almost exclusively for young people who enjoy a pretty narrow genre of music, AP still makes the effort to put solid, artistically valid music in their publication. And no matter what you think of "the kids" these days, they are the geniuses of tomorrow. None of the people in bands you like were born at a punk show. Haters crack me up. You're all like 24 and already sound like you're 80. "These kids with their funny hair making silly music. In my day music was pure and real and blah blah blah." Grow up.

fucking yes. i was never interested in AP, and i hate crunkcore and fashion rock and whatever as much as the next guy, but i always felt uncomfortable railing against teenagers like that. i admit that sometimes i get irritated at the existence of bands like this and the kids who listen to them, but at the same time, im only fucking 20. i listened to shitty music in middle school and worshiped tim burton and drew anarchy symbols on my binders. because i was 14 and thats what i liked. +1 sir.

after reading this thread, i've come to the conclusion that against me! is still awesome and AP is not a very good magazine.

so why did i read this thread?

This comment just made me decide not to review the new Tigers Jaw split 12-inch coming out on No Sleep, just because you're associated with them.

Get fucked.

Scott - did you guys have to cut a bunch of comp copies to labels a while back? Haven't seen an issue in some months.

We periodically clean house on our comp list, and you were probably a victim of one of those instances. It sucks, but the list was getting absolutely enormous and included plenty of people who did nothing to actually support the magazine.

after reading this thread, i've come to the conclusion that against me! is still awesome and AP is not a very good magazine.

This comment just made me decide not to review the new Tigers Jaw split 12-inch coming out on No Sleep, just because you're associated with them.

Get fucked.

i care. giving it a bad review would do more damage and be more unprofessional, give that a shot.

Get fucked.

I really hope your kidding, that would be super petty. Like Ben Weasel levels of petty.

AP pissed on my toilet seat, drank my orange juice out of the carton, got my underage sister drunk and tried to fuck her.

They also borrowed my car and left it was barely any gas.

FUCK YOU, ALTERNATIVE PRESS. dickheads.

Plus, I sent you a big package full of scratched CDs! THE NERVE!

Also, we've never -- never, ever, ever, ever -- had an issue with 90% ads. At our worst, we're 50% ads (which is still significantly better than most any other mid-to-large-sized magazine you've ever read). We generally hover around 40% ads. I feel like I've explained that 10,000 times before, but it still hasn't changed.

To expand on what Scott's saying here, a typical ad-driven publication strives to run "tight," that is to say a higher ratio of ads to content. Anything under 50/50 is generally considered "loose" and a poor money maker. The ideal ratio is somewhere around a tight 60/40. For a good example of an extremely tight magazine, go look at any skateboard magazine. They can get away with it because the ads are generally as compelling as much of the content. It's all pictures of people skateboarding. But those things are absolutely FULL of ads. I'd be willing to bet they run at something like 70/30, which is nuts. Then go look at Alarm, which has very few ads. It has great content, but has a distribution of something like 1,200 copies and publishes quarterly. So there's a huge trade off.

Also there are plenty of music magazines out there to chose from. If you don't like AP get off your lazy ass and find a magazine that caters to what you're into. Why would you complain about the content of a magazine that isn't meant for you and you don't read?

That reminds me, Razorcake is the only magazine I've ever read where I'm as interested in the ads as I am the content. But again, they publish bi-monthly.

AP pissed on my toilet seat, drank my orange juice out of the carton, got my underage sister drunk and tried to fuck her.

They also borrowed my car and left it was barely any gas.

FUCK YOU, ALTERNATIVE PRESS. dickheads.

haha. I feel like that shirt is a joke I don't get.

Is that shirt a joke I don't get?

haha. I feel like that shirt is a joke I don't get.

Is that shirt a joke I don't get?

No, it was just a shirt. Nothing meant to be humorous about it; it was just your size and in our "stuff that's been sitting in our office for far too long" bin.