Press vs. Color

10 years ago, i would have maybe said color.

i blame less than jake for getting me addicted by pressing everything in at least 5 colors.

since then i've sold all my extra copies so i guess i'll go with press.

although i did jump on the white cap'n jazz copy wednesday, but it's not like it cost any extra money.

What I think is really cool, is being able to hold a first press "Out Of Step", or an early pressing of "London Calling", and realizing somebody played the same exact record 30 years ago or whenever. And I wonder if this exact record blew anybody's mind back in the day, like such classics continue to do now.

That wasn't the best wording of the feeling I'm talking about, but maybe someone knows what I mean.

Sub Question:

With labels/bands these days putting out multiple presses on multiple colors (even multiple labels), does that sway your answer to the above? Does it sway your decision to even care about press or color?

I make multiple colors (on most) releases because it's more fun for me to do that. Obviously I cannot deny that it's nice when people buy multiple copies, but that is not the intention of pressing things on multiple colors. It doesn't sway my personal collector opinion. I'm happy with anything I get to own.

Guest markovianprocess

Generally I'd go for pressing.

I'd only really be swayed towards colour rather than pressing if it was really cool / went really well with the artwork, but if the limited colour is black, I'd rather go for a coloured copy.

I'd rather own a copy period, rather than worry about which pressing or color it is.

That wasn't the question though. :)

I'm speaking purely about the collector in all of you. Of course the music is ultimately (hopefully) what we're after.

I'm not a collector, I guess, because I buy records because I want to listen to them.

Best sounding. I go with fidelity, whatever press/color it may be. If something is repressed i'll buy it and sell the one that sounds worse. Like the new Mastodon 45rpms, they sound fucking sick, so i'll sell my other copies when i feel the market is highest in relation to my need for cash.