Kickstarter Vinyl Projects, What Are Your Thoughts

Guest admin1338560633

The idea of using kickstarter to start a label really sucks though.

Why? I just don't really get all the kickstarter hate. I agree that the music you put out should be emotional to you, and you should be passionate about your releases, but not everybody has the funds or resources to start a label. Of course you could just say "then don't start a label", but if this can be used as a launching pad then why not?

It may not be a legit way to start a company, but I certainly think it's a decent means to getting a release out.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to start a label, I think you should have enough funds to release one record. If you don't have a job or douce of income to help fund the label at first, there's a good chance it's not going to work out. Plus it makes more sense to have something under your belt before doing a kickstarter just so you can have more recognition and trust.

forgeagain - for the most part I totally agree with you. Not to mention, a record you care about is a very emotional thing,for a fan, the chance of it not happening is really tough. The only reason I decided to do it this time for Brandtson is because I already did put up money to press one of their records and unfortunately I lost money. The label is giving me a chance to put "send us a signal" out and I really want it out and the band does too. We decided doing a kickstarter is it's only chance. I doubt anyone will try again, and I can't fund it by myself again. Other records will cone along that I can fund, but this case just made sense. I really hope it happens.

The idea of using kickstarter to start a label really sucks though.

I've lost money on damn near every release I've ever done and I'm at 40 and counting. If you're not into losing your own money to release records, you might want to reconsider running a record label. It's all about personal sacrifice. I'm not doing this to get rich, I'm doing it to help bands and people I care about spread their music.

That said, really to each his own. If you want to use Kickstarter, by all means do so. It's not a terrible idea, it's just not for everyone. I might use it at some point in my life for some reason or another, but I find it's largely unnecessary to release records. The world doesn't end if some release that'll never sell enough copies to justify its production doesn't get pressed. I've passed on a bunch of releases I would have loved to press but realistically, they'd never work. Gotta pick your battles. I just don't want to force other people to do the heavy lifting and give Amazon 3% of the funds.

i actually agree with alot of what is being said, and disagree with a tad. either way, whatever. i think it can be a good think if used properly. ive have mixed feelings from the first time i found out what it was months and months ago. i kept an eye on it, to see if it was an outlet that could be used in the right situation. i think it can be used in a right situation, atleast for me! if i try it out, which i think i may, im not using it to avoid any risk factor or losing money (i think ive proved that, not like i have to anyways, with other releases ive done). id use it cause there is something i want out now, for a specific reason!!! and have a shit ton of other releases on the way. so yeah, i agree, this kickstarter could be abused and such, but it could also be used as a good outlet i think. i went as far as to submit my idea. well, it got approved. so i may or may not go ahead with it. i think i may, ill decide soon

a good debate forsure in here. pretty rad to see folks opinions with out people being turds!

I think they approve just about anything, honestly. I submitted my idea and they approved it right away. I never did it though. Still have the invite. I would love to do a "get rid of CDs" thing like Polyvinyl did but I can't imagine anybody actually going for it, so it'd end up being a waste of everybody's time. Not a deep enough back catalog at this point. Most of the stuff I've done is OOP, so it'd be tough to manage.

I think they approve just about anything, honestly. I submitted my idea and they approved it right away. I never did it though. Still have the invite. I would love to do a "get rid of CDs" thing like Polyvinyl did but I can't imagine anybody actually going for it, so it'd end up being a waste of everybody's time. Not a deep enough back catalog at this point. Most of the stuff I've done is OOP, so it'd be tough to manage.

yeah, i assume they approve just about anything! haha i know im not special

Can you imagine being in a band, getting approached by a label to do a record... and then having the label tell you "okay cool, so let me gather the pledges!" Ouch. I'd run for the hills, personally.

You might be able to land some newer bands who accept this whole newjack/pre-order/fundraiser culture, but I can't foresee too many vets and lifers being down with taking "pledges" to fund their records. This is punk rock, not the Boy Scouts Bowl-a-Rama, you know?

I'm thankful to have been able to put out ~150 records via one method: hard fucking work, budgeting, and fiscal responsibility. I genuinely hope that this Kickstarter/pre-order culture dies a quick death.

Hmmm.... maybe Kickstarter-funded records should all have asterisks printed on the jackets to differentiate them from records where people actually sweated, labored, and saved to put them out?

I just don't like the idea that a record label can now be run by eating cheetos at a computer and asking for money and would hate to support that.

Guest Admin

thanks for everyone's feedback. I felt like the opinions might go around kind of like it did. I personally think that if kickstarter helps to release a record that would never see the light of day, that is not a bad thing. I don't think it is an answer for running a label entirely, but I think there are situations that might warrant giving it a shot.

thanks for everyone's feedback. I felt like the opinions might go around kind of like it did. I personally think that if kickstarter helps to release a record that would never see the light of day, that is not a bad thing. I don't think it is an answer for running a label entirely, but I think there are situations that might warrant giving it a shot.

totally agree

and cheetos are bad for you, just sayin

I think it makes sense (more often, at least) if it's the band themselves. I've supported one project like that and the rewards were good and the band were very specific where every cent went. I was a nice way to support an act you care about.

But I agree that it shouldn't be how "labels" release their first few records. The initial role of a label to front the cash for a release they believe will work. If you can't front that cash - and this extends to a lot of the never ending pre-orders of late also - you shouldn't really be trying to release records.

Forge Again and Magic Bullet nail it. Sure, Kickstarter isn't the worst thing in the world and there are probably some projects that would suit it well, but when a label or musician uses it as a preorder for their album it just comes off as disingenuous. If you're not will to take the risk of losing money on putting out a record it really suggests that the goal of that record is to make money.