There was a fucking bat in my house last night...

I was lying in bed with one of the nightstand lights and the TV on. I thought I saw a shadow on the ceiling but dismissed it as something from the TV. Then my wife says, "What was that?" I looked up and saw the shadow again. I started walking down the bedroom hallway, still in my boxers mind you, and this thing is flying right at me. I can't imagine how big my eyes got and I just ducked.

I couldn't tell exactly what it was. I thought it was a bird for a while, but then I thought it was a bat just because it was dead silent.

It went back in the bedroom and my wife screamed again and was hiding under the covers. It came out of the bedroom and I started closing all of the other bedroom doors to try and contain it in one area. I finally got it in the living room and it just kept flying in circles. I opened the back door and just kind of stood on the top step and watched it fly. Then it landed for about 5 seconds on the fireplace, and sure as shit, it was a bat. It took about 10 minutes of it getting close to the door before it finally flew out.

My neighbors already think I'm crazy. I'm sure last night didn't help change their opinion.

I didn't sleep for shit last night.

one time we had a bat behind the inside shutters in my sister's bedroom window. creepy stuff.

my mom grew up in a giant old victorian house so they had their fair share of pest problems. she always tells the story about my uncle chasing a bat around with his golf clubs and a tennis racket, haha.

one time we had a bat behind the inside shutters in my sister's bedroom window. creepy stuff.

my mom grew up in a giant old victorian house so they had their fair share of pest problems. she always tells the story about my uncle chasing a bat around with his golf clubs and a tennis racket, haha.

I didn't want to hit it or kill it because who knows what it's carrying in its system.

Its flight skills were amazing compared to the small birds in my area. It was actually kind of cool when it landed for a second and I got to get a look at it. Creepy, but cool. I've never seen a bat in real life before.

Bats don't really phase me much. Growing up around Kenmore, one of the oldest suburbs in the country, the houses all have big attics with places for bats to get in. I don't know if I can name a single friend who hasn't had at least one in his attic, my friend Matt used to get them every summer. He got great at catching them in his hand (with a rubber glove on) and releasing them outside rather than killing them. The police, for the most part, are experts at catching them.

When I lived in Syracuse, my house was built in the 1880s and we'd get a bat or two every semester, usually on the second floor. Someone would yell it out, we'd all close the doors, and my friend Jason would come out and whack them with a broom, and that was the end of it.

Bats very rarely will run into you. They just fly so chaotically that they make you think they will. It's still hard not to flinch and duck regardless. An old girlfriend's dad got hit in the face by one at Chataqua one time.

I can't imagine having the dexterity to catch a bat with just gloves on...

That little guy was all over the place last night! I don't think I would have been as freaked out if it was in my garage or something. But the fact that it showed up in my bedroom, when all of the windows and doors were closed is what really did it.

When I was in second grade, a bat got into our school's library (which was sort of an open-air kind of thing in the middle of all the classrooms) -- I remember seeing all the librarians FREAKING THE FUCK OUT and locking themselves into a room to get away from it. The janitor eventually caught it alive and let it go outside.

My dad and I removed the in-range microwave in my house earlier this year, and found a mummified bat in the ductwork. It evidently flew in through the vent hole outside and got stuck, died, and then the hot air dried it out. I've got it in a sealed Mason jar on a booksehlf. My wife can't stand the damned thing.

went camping over the weekend and my friend and i had our tents set up a lil ways from the fire near the mouth of a cave... well needless to say the flashlights in the tents attracted tons of bugs, and the bats came out en masse and made short work of them... but its creepy as hell to hear them that close to where you're sitting