My Vinyl Setup - Jim Nieves

Guest admin1338560633

Guest Admin

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Jim Nieves, Vinyl Collector of the Day on June 3rd http://www.vinylcollective.com/2010/06/03/vinyl-collector-of-the-day-jim-nieves/ has offered to help me out with a new feature to Vinyl Collective, "My Vinyl Setup". I figured this might be a great way to share with others how people are setting up their collections and their room for record playing. Jim has offered to have the first post in this new series of posts. You, too, can submit your vinyl set up by sending photos and commentary to me. Please try to keep the image sizes under 1,000 pixels wide (recommended is around 600 pixels wide, 72 dpi).

Here are a few comments from Jim; thanks Jim:

As with most married men, I have been exiled to the basement but it works pretty well for me. As you can see, my LP collection rooms with my guitar gear as well as my digital work station. I like to rip my vinyl to DVD-Audio and FLAC for best audio fidelity and I also record my guitar tracks down here as well. My wife wonders why I spend all my time in the basement. As much as I try to explain, she'll never understand.

Notice my GE Wildcat portable turntable in some of the photos. I really love that thing. I bring it upstairs along with a crate of vinyl when we have friends over - instant joy for everyone. I have a real sweet spot for that thing - I picked it up on eBay several years ago $10 plus shipping. I had to replace the stylus but was mint otherwise.

I'm glad my wife loves records too (she even buys stuff she wants). No exile here!

I guess "exile" was too strong of a word. My wife loves music, we just have other priorities in life now. And, trust me, the situation changes greatly when you have a couple of kids running around the house. For you single folks, spare rooms become play rooms or additional bedrooms. Judging by my other married w/ kids friends, I'm blessed to have a wife that has given me even just a little space of my own. The basement door is my escape hatch.

I'm glad my wife loves records too (she even buys stuff she wants). No exile here!

I guess "exile" was too strong of a word. My wife loves music, we just have other priorities in life now. And, trust me, the situation changes greatly when you have a couple of kids running around the house. For you single folks, spare rooms become play rooms or additional bedrooms. Judging by my other married w/ kids friends, I'm blessed to have a wife that has given me even just a little space of my own. The basement door is my escape hatch.

Totally true. There was a point after our kid was born where I had to seriously consider selling all my records. Eventually I worked it out, but our house was only 860 sq. feet at the time. We added a little and now it's about 1100, but that's still pretty small. Having a secure record area in that amount of space, with kids, is truly a luxury that I don't take for granted.