Sterilization (now with hilarity!!)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just skimmed the article, but I could see no mention of a vasectomy.

Cost of child: $475,680.

Cost of vasectomy: $500.

Savings: $475,180

There's a whole lotta livin that can be had with an extra $475,000.

and those figures don't even include college!

it's the battle of beach house and/or private yacht vs. kid.

^^

I'd rather travel and do fun things, to be honest. Yachts and beach houses require effort to maintain.

This is the home sterilization test thingy I get to use:

http://www.contravac.com/

Exciting stuff!! I wonder what the indicators are? Would be awesome if it was a shitty diaper if there are still some of the pesky little buggers floating about, or a thumbs up if you're all free and clear. Ha ha.

I can't wait. I've wanted this for a long time.

^^

I'd rather travel and do fun things, to be honest. Yachts and beach houses require effort to maintain.

This is the home sterilization test thingy I get to use:

http://www.contravac.com/

Exciting stuff!! I wonder what the indicators are? Would be awesome if it was a shitty diaper if there are still some of the pesky little buggers floating about, or a thumbs up if you're all free and clear. Ha ha.

I can't wait. I've wanted this for a long time.

+1 for this post. I laughed pretty hard

I'll be doing the nut snip very soon. I've been a single dad for 10 years. I never did want kids, however, my son is my entire life. I love him with all my being but I completely understand why someone wouldn't want kids.

I'm now in a solid relationship that will probably include *gasp* marriage. I'd like to imagine a monogamous relationship where I don't have to wear a condom and she doesn't have to take birth control.

Single life is awesome. I don't blame anyone who would rather enjoy life without children. Just make sure you contribute SOMETHING to helping others, if not your own spawn.

Kids are expensive, but once an old person asked me if I ever wanted to have kids and I told her no, I never had any plans to and her response was. "Well who is going to take care of you when you are old?" and I said "So having kids are like insurance that you are taken care of when you are old and senile?"

But the more older the more that makes sense, and the more that I see one generation taking care of the generation above them. So the older I get the more legitimate of a saying that is. Who will take care of you when you are old and senile? Do you want to put that burden on your child, or do you want to be digging through the trash on the streets with alzheimers? There is no correct answer.

Kids are expensive, but once an old person asked me if I ever wanted to have kids and I told her no, I never had any plans to and her response was. "Well who is going to take care of you when you are old?" and I said "So having kids are like insurance that you are taken care of when you are old and senile?"

But the more older the more that makes sense, and the more that I see one generation taking care of the generation above them. So the older I get the more legitimate of a saying that is. Who will take care of you when you are old and senile? Do you want to put that burden on your child, or do you want to be digging through the trash on the streets with alzheimers? There is no correct answer.

I think this is a junk argument that you're simply breeding your caretaker, and I find it rather despicable, to be honest. I love my parents, but I didn't sign up for that, I'm sorry. I don't even live in the same country as them, and I plan on being on an entirely different continent later in my life. Of course I'd offer love and support in whatever means I can, but as for being actively involved in care taking; I don't see it happening.

What of gays and lesbians? I think it is safe to say that the vast majority of these folks do not have children... who is to tend to them?

There are many insurance products that exist to offset the costs of growing old, alone or otherwise. Sure, the cost money, but given the alternative of breeding a caretaker, I'd rather pay my premiums, thanks.

Have you considered freezing a sample just in case? What if, down the road, you decide you do want a kid, and you have a partner who'd also like one? It can't hurt to have a backup plan rather than getting it reversed.

I considered this for about 2 seconds. I shan't be putting myself on ice.

I'm 31. I'd like to think that I'm pretty aware of who I am as a person at this point in my life. I've owned houses, lost everything I owned in a natural disaster, been married, divorced, and subsequently figured out what it is that actually makes me happy in life. Moreover, I've learned how to make myself happy.

That said, I have never wanted children. Ever. The desire to procreate completely escapes me. This has been as much a part of my character as any other trait. I am only now finally acting upon my beliefs and making it as much a part of my person as my rather large nose.

My current partner is absolutely 100% behind this decision. If, for whatever reason, we do not live happily ever after, any future partners I may have will either accept me for who I am, or they will not. If they don't, they weren't for me anyway.

This isn't quitting smoking or getting a haircut; this is a child we're speaking of. You're either in or you're out.

I am, unequivocally, out. Now and forever.

i don't think it's right to make your children take care of you when you're old (or at least, have society just assume that that's your duty). the problem is that people are so selfish and unwilling to change their lifestyle that they don't care what a burden they become to anyone around them.

take my grandparents for example. they live 2 hours away from us, which isn't that far, but far enough that my grandfather expected my dad to come help them at the drop of a hat. well, my dad has/had his own familial obligations here that he needed to take care of. my grandmother was in her 80s with alzheimers, and my grandfather was around 90 with many health problems (but was/is of sound mind) and couldn't take care of her, but absolutely refused to leave his house. so instead of moving to a retirement community when they were still able to take care of themselves, they waited until there was literally no other option and caused huge headaches for my whole family.

instead of just assuming your child will either take you in, or be willing to completely rearrange their life to constantly take care of you, people need to stop being selfish and make certain decisions before they're no longer decisions.

Have you considered freezing a sample just in case? What if, down the road, you decide you do want a kid, and you have a partner who'd also like one? It can't hurt to have a backup plan rather than getting it reversed.

I considered this for about 2 seconds. I shan't be putting myself on ice.

I'm 31. I'd like to think that I'm pretty aware of who I am as a person at this point in my life. I've owned houses, lost everything I owned in a natural disaster, been married, divorced, and subsequently figured out what it is that actually makes me happy in life. Moreover, I've learned how to make myself happy.

That said, I have never wanted children. Ever. The desire to procreate completely escapes me. This has been as much a part of my character as any other trait. I am only now finally acting upon my beliefs and making it as much a part of my person as my rather large nose.

My current partner is absolutely 100% behind this decision. If, for whatever reason, we do not live happily ever after, any future partners I may have will either accept me for who I am, or they will not. If they don't, they weren't for me anyway.

This isn't quitting smoking or getting a haircut; this is a child we're speaking of. You're either in or you're out.

I am, unequivocally, out. Now and forever.

Fair enough, can't find anything to ask about from my end. Makes perfect sense to me. :)