CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

a couple things... they openly practive economic terrorism on small communities. They move in... and in the process destroy every smaller business in the area because they can outprice them... and then they demand huge tax breaks from the city or threaten to leave... which then strips the town of jobs, and places to shop. The employ alot of sketchy things like denying benefits by keeping workers scheduled less than 40 hours, thusly making them not full time employees. Plus they strongarm the entertainment industry... ie if you don't make a censored version of your new hot selling CD we wont carry any of your titles. Go look at the walmart version of Black Crowes - Amorica, or Nirvana's - in eutero for the most glaring examples.

Plus uncle walt pushes bigtime conservatice christian agenda... exactly what our country needs a lot less of

a couple things... they openly practive economic terrorism on small communities. They move in... and in the process destroy every smaller business in the area because they can outprice them... and then they demand huge tax breaks from the city or threaten to leave... which then strips the town of jobs, and places to shop. The employ alot of sketchy things like denying benefits by keeping workers scheduled less than 40 hours, thusly making them not full time employees. Plus they strongarm the entertainment industry... ie if you don't make a censored version of your new hot selling CD we wont carry any of your titles. Go look at the walmart version of Black Crowes - Amorica, or Nirvana's - in eutero for the most glaring examples.

Plus uncle walt pushes bigtime conservatice christian agenda... exactly what our country needs a lot less of

See also: the Documentary about Wall Mart Called "the High Cost of Low Prices"

Well... ya, but I can get 200 sheets of paper for $0.98. ;)

I'm not big on supporting them either, I find them a pretty scummy organization through and through.

To expand,

because they are the largest retail employer, they set the standard for how every other employer in their field compensates their employees.

And when that standard involves intentionally employing a large number of working poor, and intentionally keeping them that way by denying them benefits, they are increasingly forced to rely on public services such as food stamps and WIC.

I consciously try to support as many new/mom and pop/local shops more so than I would with any large corporation for common purchases. I don't mind paying the higher markup if it'll help them out.

Having said that, I needed to buy a netbook for my mom, found my way to slickdeals.net and picked one up from Wal-Mart. Saving over 45% feels pretty damn good.

I don't shop at walmart because every walmart I have ever been to is fucking disgustingly filthy and chaotic. Small town walmarts may be a bit tidier which is what most of America is used to.

That being said, I grew up in a home that could only afford to shop at walmart so I see the need for it 100%. With so many families below the poverty line it is probably best that walmart and superstores of its ilk exist. We can sit here all day feeling more hipster and legit for supporting mom and pop ops, but the fact of the matter is that most Americans don't have the luxury to spend more when its cheaper down the street. Plus one stop shopping is really where its at for most of the employed populice...if I had to juggle dropping off kids for practices, pick up groceries, and having dinner done by 6 all after a 9 hour day, I'd try to consolidate my shopping as much as possible too.

Everytime I've been in a Walmart something strange has happened. Last week I walked out to a guy in the parking lot writting down license plate numbers. He saw me, jumped in his mini van and took off! I've been paranoid for the last week. I don't even think their prices are that much lower, not worth it.