Racist Relatives

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are putting words in my mouth, I simply made the assumption that everyone in this thread was white based on stories I have read and knowing for a fact that most of the people that posted are. I'm not a racist or claiming that minorities don't collect vinyl and aren't on this board, I know a couple who are. I also never claimed to own the internet or this board. I know there is worse stuff on the internet and even this board, I just said I didn't think it was cool using those words in a story talking about racism. If I knew it was going to get people so worked up I would have bit my tongue and not posted anything. You all need to calm the fuck down.

no you said nobody should use that word ever. under any circumstances

You guys are putting words in my mouth, I simply made the assumption that everyone in this thread was white based on stories I have read and knowing for a fact that most of the people that posted are. I'm not a racist or claiming that minorities don't collect vinyl and aren't on this board, I know a couple who are. I also never claimed to own the internet or this board. I know there is worse stuff on the internet and even this board, I just said I didn't think it was cool using those words in a story talking about racism. If I knew it was going to get people so worked up I would have bit my tongue and not posted anything. You all need to calm the fuck down.

Go exalt yourself with fake accounts some more.

that's great.

Go exalt yourself with fake accounts some more.

haha glad im not the only one who noticed that

my grandfather is 94 years old, and a couple years ago, we moved him down here with us to a nursing home because my grandmother got alzheimers and they couldn't handle the house anymore. he lived his entire life in a tiny town literally in the middle of nowhere, and never had any interactions with anyone other than white people before. the nursing home here is the best in the area, but it's not in the greatest section of town, and most of the employees just happen to be black. we weren't sure how he'd handle the situation, but he absolutely loves it there and goes on and on about how nice everyone treats him. the only problem is he says things like 'that colored lady down in the dining room is just wonderful!'. my dad apologized to the staff he saw regularly but they just laughed and said how much they love him and what a cute old man he is.

so really, i guess this doesn't fall under the 'racist relatives' category, because he doesn't mean anything negative at all, he's just uninformed and at 94, that's not going to change, haha.

I would argue that your grandfather saying the word "colored" isn't racist. It's simply a generation issue. For people your grandfathers age the word "colored" is considered the politicaly correct term.

my grandfather is 94 years old, and a couple years ago, we moved him down here with us to a nursing home because my grandmother got alzheimers and they couldn't handle the house anymore. he lived his entire life in a tiny town literally in the middle of nowhere, and never had any interactions with anyone other than white people before. the nursing home here is the best in the area, but it's not in the greatest section of town, and most of the employees just happen to be black. we weren't sure how he'd handle the situation, but he absolutely loves it there and goes on and on about how nice everyone treats him. the only problem is he says things like 'that colored lady down in the dining room is just wonderful!'. my dad apologized to the staff he saw regularly but they just laughed and said how much they love him and what a cute old man he is.

so really, i guess this doesn't fall under the 'racist relatives' category, because he doesn't mean anything negative at all, he's just uninformed and at 94, that's not going to change, haha.

I would argue that your grandfather saying the word "colored" isn't racist. It's simply a generation issue. For people your grandfathers age the word "colored" is considered the politicaly correct term.

(see the last sentence of what i wrote ;] )

I hate the term African-American.

i don't want to be referred to as white anymore. instead, i want to be classified as german-polish-irish-english-welsh-american.

If you're born in this country, you're American, period. You can be American of Italian or whatever decent if you want, but you're not Italian-American unless you personally are an immigrant with from Italy who obtained citizenship. This applies to African-Americans, except AFRICA ISN'T A GODDAMN COUNTRY. One could (or should) be Kenyan-American, for example.

Also, African-American instead of "black" assumes that the person is both of African decent, rather than, I dunno, India, Australia, the Caribbean, etc. It also assumes the person is American. How do you know it's not a British citizen?

It's just such an illogical PC term that I've refused to use for a few years now.

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':aq18x338]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':aq18x338]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

i don't want to be referred to as white anymore. instead, i want to be classified as german-polish-irish-english-welsh-american.

If you're born in this country, you're American, period. You can be American of Italian or whatever decent if you want, but you're not Italian-American unless you personally are an immigrant with from Italy who obtained citizenship. This applies to African-Americans, except AFRICA ISN'T A GODDAMN COUNTRY. One could (or should) be Kenyan-American, for example.

Also, African-American instead of "black" assumes that the person is both of African decent, rather than, I dunno, India, Australia, the Caribbean, etc. It also assumes the person is American. How do you know it's not a British citizen?

It's just such an illogical PC term that I've refused to use for a few years now.

This.

I'm a Canadian. I live in America. I am still not a US Citizen, but feel I will one day pay my $500 and file my paperwork so that I'm able to vote (it's the only thing I can't do). Really, that's my only reason. I'll maintain dual citizenship so I can keep my Canadian passport and be welcomed in Cuba and other such places the US has pissed off. Plus, if shit really hits the fan here, I can always escape north with no questions asked.

At that time, however, I will not refer to myself as a Canadian-American. I'm leaning towards "North American." So this is a little contrary to your point on Africa being a continent, not a country, but I get your message and agree with it.