Inception: Spoilers

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Inception-Explained-Unraveling-The-Dream-Within-The-Dream-19615.html

According to here, he aged because he didn't know he was in limbo, whereas Leo did know so he stayed youthful, but Leo and Mal aged the 1st time they went there because they weren't aware it was limbo.

i was looking forward to this for so long. saw it tonight in imax. and i was let down. a lot. i was bored throughout the majority of it, and felt it wasnt great acting. in my mind it was shutter island meets the matrix. i mean if shutter island and the matrix fucked, and had a perfect baby , you know the aryan type, it would be this movie. and to top it off, i saw my ex girlfriend with my former bestfriend/ former roommate as of 2 weeks ago, so that just made me hate it more.

what about the insinuation that the top was his wife's totem first? doesn't that make you question whether any of it was real. at that point, what would dictate whether the top spins forever or tips over and falls when he uses it? i stepped out to go to the restroom quickly, but i dont remember ever seeing him spin the top and it continuing to spin.

well, it kept spinning when the old asian dude (im awful with names) in limbo spun it, so he was definitely in a dream then.

but didn't he say that only the person it belonged to could know exactly how much it weighed, etc in order for it to work? and if it belonged to mal first, wouldnt she know too and thus make it ineffective for him?

yeah, true. but my thought is that since it was his wife's totem first, only she knows the actual weight and balance. for cobb, it has no firm basis in reality [he acquired it in limbo, no?]. at that point it's possible that if he's in a dream, anything is possible depending on whether he THINKS hes in a dream or not.

i "think" im in a dream... let me check... therefore top spins

i dont think im in a dream... let me check... therefore top falls

but didn't he say that only the person it belonged to could know exactly how much it weighed, etc in order for it to work? and if it belonged to mal first, wouldnt she know too and thus make it ineffective for him?

she's dead, though, so it wouldn't matter. he's the only one alive that knows it's trick.

yeah, true. but my thought is that since it was his wife's totem first, only she knows the actual weight and balance. for cobb, it has no firm basis in reality [he acquired it in limbo, no?]. at that point it's possible that if he's in a dream, anything is possible depending on whether he THINKS hes in a dream or not.

i "think" im in a dream... let me check... therefore top spins

i dont think im in a dream... let me check... therefore top falls

but he didn't acquire it in limbo. he spun it while it was in the safe, thus planting the idea in her head. he had it in real life (or what supposedly is real life, depending on your thoughts). he easily could have just taken it after she died and made it his own totem.

Guest kingbuzzo

My only real complaint about the film is the lack of well fleshed out secondary characters. I never once felt anything for any character thanks to the dialogue and lack of any depth to any character except Cobb and Fischer.

The fact that his kids didn't age could have been a simple oversight.

i really, really doubt that they would have made such a huge oversight given the complexity and thought that went into the rest of the movie. it was definitely a deliberate ploy to make us further question whether that was 'real' or not, imho.

They never really insinuated that Mal had been dead very long or that Cobb had been away from his children long enough that they would age much. Great movie. Perhaps Nolan's best. Can't wait for the Blu-Ray. Really interested in hearing the director commentary and seeing some "making of" stuff.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Inception-Explained-Unraveling-The-Dream-Within-The-Dream-19615.html

According to here, he aged because he didn't know he was in limbo, whereas Leo did know so he stayed youthful, but Leo and Mal aged the 1st time they went there because they weren't aware it was limbo.

Saito aged quicker than Cobb because the few moments he was dead in one of the dream levels while Cobb was still alive were like decades in the deeper level. If Cobb and Saito had died at the same time, they would both be old.

The ending was perfect.

That's what films should do -- just like music -- leave the viewer/reader/listener open for their own interpretation.

I personally want to think that Cobb's totem would keep spinning because regardless if it is his dream, at least he gets to be "home" with his children and father. It's his heaven of dreams, and with his experience of the dream world, who needs to step back into 'reality' when he finally has exactly what he needs in his own life.

I'm pretty sure I was literally the only one in the theatre who didn't grumble or say "what the fuck?!" at the ending. I've seen too many great films that end in absolute shit, but when a movie like this comes around and delivers everything film is about, then I'm completely content.