Trading your favorite songs comp ?

mrc

so i have noticed over the months that peoples musical tastes are all over the place, from converge to

Mustard Plug to Miles Davis. I figured that everyone has a ton of mp3s and probably a favorite playlist on Itunes.

Well if we each complied a comp of your favorite songs and sent a cd-r to each other it could expose people to new music that you may have never checked out.

We could have a sign up sheet like secret santa and then partner up people and send out the cd.

This could be fun, or a total bust.

Maybe?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like doing this, because I like finding new bands and stuff, but I would think that a lot of you guys would know the stuff I would put on my mix.

so? I personally think it's cool even when you take songs that mean a lot to you and put them in with other songs. It gives them a different context. If one of my friends (or anyone, really) gave me a mix CD of songs that held a lot of personal meaning for them, and maybe a note on why, even if I heard 90% of them I'd be stoked.

The more I think about it, the more I love the idea. Too many of my mixes go unappreciated.

Here's some of my personal preferences/thoughts, feel free to give your two cents

1. Limit it to an 80 minute CD.

I'm hoping to be exposed to new music and that can often require a lot of listens and sinking in. The more music that's on it, the tougher it would be for me.

2. Interested parties can send a PM to the organizer with the type of music they listen to most, the type they despise and would prefer not to receive, and the type they'd prefer to get exposed to. The organizer can match up appropriate trade partners. This should work better than picking randomly, I suppose. And if I received a CD of nothing but screamo, the trade would be worthless for me.

3. Include a short comment about why you picked each song. Why you love it, why you think someone might like it, etc.

4. Minimum listening time. Everyone should listen to the CD they receive at least 10 times before judging it.

4. Require feedback! We all probably pour ourselves into these CDs and I know I'd love to hear the recipient's opinion of each and every song whether they liked it or not

5. Encourage communication prior to making the CD. Maybe list the artists you plan to include on the mix. There's plenty of bands where every note is already burned into my brain. No sense having too much of that on a disc.

Anyways, these are the things I thought about while I was in the shower. Thoughts??

The more I think about it, the more I love the idea. Too many of my mixes go unappreciated.

Here's some of my personal preferences/thoughts, feel free to give your two cents

1. Limit it to an 80 minute CD.

I'm hoping to be exposed to new music and that can often require a lot of listens and sinking in. The more music that's on it, the tougher it would be for me.

2. Interested parties can send a PM to the organizer with the type of music they listen to most, the type they despise and would prefer not to receive, and the type they'd prefer to get exposed to. The organizer can match up appropriate trade partners. This should work better than picking randomly, I suppose. And if I received a CD of nothing but screamo, the trade would be worthless for me.

3. Include a short comment about why you picked each song. Why you love it, why you think someone might like it, etc.

4. Minimum listening time. Everyone should listen to the CD they receive at least 10 times before judging it.

4. Require feedback! We all probably pour ourselves into these CDs and I know I'd love to hear the recipient's opinion of each and every song whether they liked it or not

5. Encourage communication prior to making the CD. Maybe list the artists you plan to include on the mix. There's plenty of bands where every note is already burned into my brain. No sense having too much of that on a disc.

Anyways, these are the things I thought about while I was in the shower. Thoughts??

2. Sort of defeats the purpose of the entire thing

4. I don't like this one very much... I have some full length albums that I haven't even listened to ten full times.

4. You have two of these.