Is this an asshole thing to do ?

I went into my local music store a few weeks ago looking for a few cheap lp's, and some video games nothing special.

We don't get much of any new vinyl here so most of the time I don't even bother checking that section.

Anyway I'm a regular there and usually hit the place up at least twice a week like any other normal hoarder.

normally I would never go talk to the employee while he's grading everything even though they tend to not care.

However I didn't want to miss out they had a bunch of cool shit

old black flag stuff, a nofx fuck the kids on green, some other rare fat club 7"s, older fat colored lp's,ect.

So I just started some small talk & asked if they were taking them in on a trade in and I said I would buy most of them as soon as they get them priced up. Dude seems relatively cool he said just come back in about an hour and can sell them to me if the customer takes the trade.

I come back an hour later dude says yeah we took the trade but I bought them all. Clearly he knew I had planned on buying them when I talked to him earlier. Had I known that I wouldn't of even wasted my time at least do me the fucking favor & just tell me you plan on buying them.

A week later I took in about 100 lp's made sure the same dude who was working did my trade in I took a bunch of old fat colored lp's strung out,nofx,d4,tla,ect. some normal stuff

Told him I was looking to get about $5 an lp I came back 3 hours later after he tallied them all up. Without hesitation I said nah I think I'll pass, needless to say based solely off his facial expression and the fact he was beat red in the face I think he figured it out.

you really went home and carted 100 LPs to the record store just to say, no thanks i changed my mind?

you could have just called the guy out and not been so passive aggressive about it and told him "thats pretty shitty to tell me to come back if you were just gonna buy them anyway".

it would have saved you a lot of trouble.

as it is, you were the one who had to cart 100 LPs back home, and dude probably just turned around and went back to texting his girlfriend.

It's a message board in a forum solely about record collecting. I think people can relate to that story

Was it a bit passive aggressive ? yes of course but it really pissed me off and yeah outright saying something could have worked. I think this drove the point a bit further I hauled in two boxes. Hardly an effort on my part as compared to the three pain in the ass dull hours this dude had to check the condition of each individual record .Price it out and getting his hopes up that he could score some rare records really cheap.

If you can't keep track of what you have when you only have 450+ records then you don't need them anyway. I highly doubt the guy would risk his job to steal a record from me when he saw how far I went to drive a point across. although I would never go try & get someone fired I'm sure IF the thought of stealing a record from me had crossed his mind so did the thought of getting reported.

I think he got what he deserved some might not.