Anyone ever fostered rescue animals before?

zac

I got hooked up with a local rescue group and I'm going to be a foster home for animals they rescue since they don't have a boarding place. People around here never get their dogs fixed so there are way too many than there are people that want them (see the show Last Chance Highway on Animal Planet). The local shelter here has to euthanize so many animals because of overcrowding because only 19% get adopted. I pick up my first one on Tuesday. Anyone else ever done this?

is there a bigger problem with shelters being overcrowded/having to euthanize adoptable animals in the south than in the north?

i ask this because i was watching a show on animal planet the other day (yes, i love animal planet) and this husband and wife had rehomed thousands of dogs that they rescued from kill shelters in the south and were talking about taking them up north to find homes for them. whew, run-on sentence.

also, one day i would love to train service dogs. once i have a place big enough to house multiple animals, that is.

You know, this is a really cool thing to do but I fear that people sometimes go overboard with it. I have a beagle mix that was a rescue dog, and she was being fostered with a family that had like 10 dogs. She was treated well enough, I'm sure, but she definitely didn't get the attention that she needed (I can kinda tell this from her personality). She's incredibly sweet but had a lot of issues with trusting us that we are still working through.

But, it's better than keeping them locked in cages I'm sure.

is there a bigger problem with shelters being overcrowded/having to euthanize adoptable animals in the south than in the north?

i ask this because i was watching a show on animal planet the other day (yes, i love animal planet) and this husband and wife had rehomed thousands of dogs that they rescued from kill shelters in the south and were talking about taking them up north to find homes for them. whew, run-on sentence.

also, one day i would love to train service dogs. once i have a place big enough to house multiple animals, that is.

It seems like it. There's a huge problem with overcrowded shelters here in south Texas.

Oh yeah, training service dogs would be awesome.

A lot of Marine detachments I've worked with have had dogs with them, to sniff out IEDs and bad guys. I've got so much respect for dogs that work, it's so awesome. And the Marines absolutely love them too, they treat them just like one of their own.

I won't do breeder dogs anymore - my family dog, Lucy, is a pure-bread Yellow Lab that my aunt originally had but couldn't keep, so we took her as a pup. My dog, Miley, is a choc lab / Aussie shepherd mix that is a rescue. She never came from a shelter, though, she was actually stolen from a crazy-abusive house, then passed around by people who couldn't really take care of her until I ended up with her. Then she got crazy-sick and almost died, and then she recovered and we all lived happily ever after.

Yeah I mentioned that show in the first post. This rescue I'm working with placed 650 animals last year that were gonna be killed. It's a big problem around here, they ship animals up north too sometimes.

Also I only have one dog and I only plan on taking in one other at a time unless they needed me to really take in like two but there is no way I would have more than that.

in toronto all our shelters are really over crowded, but the majority of them are no-kill so they only euthenize the terminally ill ones. that being said, there has been a lot of controversy in the past year at both the toronto humane socienty and the OSPCA. they do "adopt-a-thons" regularly where people can adopt the pets for free. all you have to pay is $150 which you get refunded to you when you get the animals fixed, which i think is a great idea.