the great mac vs pc debate!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PC. I'll avoid mud flinging and back it up just by saying it's way better for gaming, and a lot easier/cheaper to customize.

my brother-in-law does tech stuff for a living and as such is a PC dude. we always hate on each other.

i doubt i'd ever buy a pc again because macs are so fantastic for the design/photo stuff, but i definitely see your reasoning!

Guest eriathomas

PC, because it's cheaper. I don't seem the point in paying almost double the cost for the same or worse specs just for the Apple stuff. I do like the few Macs I've used though.

Right now I am using a HP Pavillion dv2000 15.4". It does what I need it to (run software like MatLab and Pspice for school assignments as well as general school/personal use).

Before that I was on a g4 powerbook that I loved. I still have it, but the monitor doesn't light up anymore, and it isn't practical to use it with an external monitor, so it is stored in its case for now. The mac got a lot of use (school, etc) for close to 5 years before the monitor issue, which I think may be due to a crimped cable, but I never got the guts to open it up.

PC, because it's cheaper. I don't seem the point in paying almost double the cost for the same or worse specs just for the Apple stuff. I do like the few Macs I've used though.

i think saying it's almost double the cost is exaggerating. today i went onto the dell website for shits and giggles and tried to replicate what i just ordered in imac form to see how much i over paid, and by the time i got everything relatively similar (my monitor is 27", while dell only offers up to 24"), it was only around $300 less, which is maybe a 15% price difference.

Guest markovianprocess

I'm quite a recent Mac convert, but I'm totally sold and I don't see myself ever buying another PC. I mostly use it for coursework and recording music.

i think saying it's almost double the cost is exaggerating. today i went onto the dell website for shits and giggles and tried to replicate what i just ordered in imac form to see how much i over paid, and by the time i got everything relatively similar (my monitor is 27", while dell only offers up to 24"), it was only around $300 less, which is maybe a 15% price difference.

Sorry to double post but if you're going to get a PC, especially a desktop, and you're using the price argument, a pre built machine is not how you're going to do it. If you want a cheap machine, which is what this exchange here is about, you'd build one(it's not as hard or scary as it sounds, you can't really break anything). Then the double statement would be accurate

Macbook pro 17" and its my baby. Video/Photo editing are smooth, tons of memory (that I don't use cause External HD's are my best friend) so its performance is A+.

Going on three years now.

Hard drive space isn't memory that affects performance in any way shape or form.

I would have to imagine it has a small impact on performance...at least a lack of it does. The reason I say this is because a few years back a desktop (Apple G5) in one of the recording studios at school had less than 5 gigs of HD space on it (before I donated an external HD to the school) and it ended up not working at all and needed to be repaired. I imagine other factors played a role, but I would say the near-full drive played some small part.

Sorry to double post but if you're going to get a PC, especially a desktop, and you're using the price argument, a pre built machine is not how you're going to do it. If you want a cheap machine, which is what this exchange here is about, you'd build one(it's not as hard or scary as it sounds, you can't really break anything). Then the double statement would be accurate

i mean, i'd say 90-95% of the population just buy a pre-built computer, so really, a mac isn't insanely more expensive. they're pricey, yes, but not twice the cost of a pre-built pc. i, personally, would not want to build my own computer, and i think that goes for the vast majority of people, lol.