Ebay sniping

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People actually pay someone to do this?

shit that anticipation stalking out an auction is the most awesome part of ebay. if you're not willing to put in the time and work to snag an album you love you should be ashamed of yourself.

the "time and work" required to manually bid on an item becomes a moot point when you have 50+ hour work weeks and are only at a computer 2-3 days a week, as was my situation last year. i really don't care whether people have gripes about sniping, if you don't use it and we are bidding on the same item (which is unlikely to begin with) then i have you at a disadvantage and am more likely to win the item regardless.

That's exactly what I do. Keep a few pages open and each window has a higher bid than the other. It makes it easier and a lot quicker to place multiple bids.

does your heart race like mine does? hahah..

hell yeah.... i get a little sweaty in the pits with anticipation on winning. it's more fun this way and plus if you lose at least you jack up the price for the person buying it!

That's exactly what I do. Keep a few pages open and each window has a higher bid than the other. It makes it easier and a lot quicker to place multiple bids.

does your heart race like mine does? hahah..

nothing gets your heart pumping like knowing that someone is about to cost you some extra coin. with that said, i just won some xbox 360 games on the cheap, and im still trying to chill out

I'm fine with auction sniping... I do it from time to time... only if I really care about getting a particular record. I hadn't even bid on eBay for a while, but I tried sniping (in the final minute of the auction) the only Coalesce record I don't own today, and I got out-sniped in the last 20 seconds. I thought that was funny.

the thing is, if the auction stays low for most of the auction, the chances of it going super high are slim. If two people put in their super high bids early on, the ending bid is going to be higher than if it stayed low most of the auction and people just use a sniping program.

Sniping DOES save money in the end. The ideal thing to do, is to put in your max bid using the sniping program and hope no one else has done the same. I've never actually used a sniping program, but the idea makes sense to me. As a seller, sniping programs suck. I'd obviously want two people to battle it out over a week and up the ending price a ton, rather than sitting there waiting to battle it out over two minutes...

As a seller, sniping programs suck.

True, but at the same time I'd rather have a potential buyer put in a bid via eSnipe than just hope they remember to put a bid in at the last minute if they happen to be at a computer, since a lot of people just won't bid early no matter what, snipe or not.

Why not just max your bid at what you're willing to pay?

What if your top bid is $50 and the record goes for $51? I would rather monitor it in the last 5 or so minutes and deal with the anticipation.

I don't know if you're for sniping programs or arguing that you should just put in your highest bid at the get go, but I always try my hardest to be online in the last few minutes of the auction, monitoring it myself. I've gotten into bidding wars, spending $50 more than I thought I would that way, but I've also seen records go way higher than I wanted to pay at the time, and let them go.

I used to snipe manually, but now just enter an insane amount. It's not the smartest thing, but it wins the auctions. If sniping services become the norm, you're gong to be paying money no matter what or losing auctions.

this is probably going to sound really rude, but not everyone can enter an insane amount. i guess its good that you could theoretically put in $500 for a record, knowing that if it somehow got that high, you could pay for it, but thats so not practical for most people.

I don't get it, if you snipe, and your bid isn't higher than someone who set their max bid, say 4 days before the bidding is over, what good is sniping? It all comes down to who is willing to pay the most in the end...

The point with sniping, as I see it, is to avoid the problem with bidders who don't subscribe to or understand the concept of placing max bids. They may bid $10 to start with, and if you bid $51.66 when there's 4 days left, all you're doing is giving them plenty of time to gradually increase their bid until they become the highest bidder (or at least until they've done you the favor of jacking the price up considerably). If you wait and put in your $51.66 bid when there's two seconds left, these bidders won't even have time to think about increasing their bid.

Obviously if someone bid $60 on the first day, he will get the record, but that's okay, cause you weren't willing to pay that much for it anyways.

In case of a tie the person who put in his bid earlier wins.

But if they are using the same eSnipe program wouldn't the bids be at the same time. And also if two people were using the program and one bid 15 and one bid 20 would it still do the 15 dollar bid?

I used to snipe manually, but now just enter an insane amount. It's not the smartest thing, but it wins the auctions. If sniping services become the norm, you're gong to be paying money no matter what or losing auctions.

this is probably going to sound really rude, but not everyone can enter an insane amount. i guess its good that you could theoretically put in $500 for a record, knowing that if it somehow got that high, you could pay for it, but thats so not practical for most people.

It's not rude, but your definition of insane is $500 whereas mine is $50.

WOW....

Its called placing a high bid in the 7 days the auction is open...I find it really funny a service can charge to bid at the last minute, if people were not so dumb and bid what they were willing to pay right up front, they would not loose as many auctions, Its called proxy bidding and it is free and automatic. Sniping is just this weird completely wrong way of thinking that seems to have caught on with almost all ebayers...

In case of a tie the person who put in his bid earlier wins.

But if they are using the same eSnipe program wouldn't the bids be at the same time. And also if two people were using the program and one bid 15 and one bid 20 would it still do the 15 dollar bid?

I don't know eSnipe but the program I use let me chose when to snipe. I set it to 10 seconds.

To your second question, it will take into consideration the first bid that came in. If the 20 came in first and a second later the 15 puts his bid, the 15 will get and error saying he must bid higher.

Snipping programs are really simple in fact. It's the same as if you would place your bid on the eBay page except it happens automaticly in the background. They don't change anything really, they are only usefull. The one I use have a good auction manager with it so I prefer using it than the My eBay page.

WOW....

Its called placing a high bid in the 7 days the auction is open...I find it really funny a service can charge to bid at the last minute, if people were not so dumb and bid what they were willing to pay right up front, they would not loose as many auctions, Its called proxy bidding and it is free and automatic. Sniping is just this weird completely wrong way of thinking that seems to have caught on with almost all ebayers...

fact is people are dumb. Most people don't understand how ebay works and don't bid their max. If you go in and bid above them with a few days left, that gives them the chance to come back and outbid you. If you wait until the last minute they're fucked for being stupid.

It's not rude, but your definition of insane is $500 whereas mine is $50.

well i was exaggerating for effect, but yeah $50 is not insane to me. and at this point, a lot of the records i'm looking for routinely go above $50. so sadly i feel like waiting til the last minute and hoping that its reasonably priced is my only option :(