Help David Bazan make a record

AlexH.

This dude needs to get a real job and suck it up. This is more a slap in the face of other mid-level bands that struggle and save and essentially live homeless to go on tour and perform than anything.

If you have a family, with kids, your job is to provide for them, by any means necessary. Asking for a hand-out is not a realistic way to do that. This has nothing to do with running a DIY label, this is just a sign of laziness and pure entitlement.

You clearly do not understand the concept of a handout.

ok, yes, the term "hand out" is not the correct phrase to use. the sentiment remains the same.

You pay money and get your name in the credits and a copy of the release...great David Bazan: the NPR of indie rock.

give us $100 to make this documentary and you'll get your name in the credits. or $150 and we'll send you the DVD too.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bazan should write an album about being a whore. It worked for Ke$ha...

Also...

...and for $1000 dollars, you can get the Bazan for Life package!!! Includes:

- an "I'm a sucker" tee shirt (comes with a complimentary tootsie-pop)

- a broken guitar string played by Dave himself

- a shred of Dave's dignity ***Super Rare!!!

- a copy of everything he says he's going to release at some point

- digital copies of home videos from family picnics

- download codes for audio of Dave playing Yahtzee with his kids

The alternative is use the money the label gave him, but also have to work a real job to support his family. He'd just work on the record when he has spare time. And it would take another five years like the last one. OR some people can buy a tshirt and whatever and he can support his family and spend all his free time on the record that would've taken years, in a matter of months.

He's not forcing money out of anyone. If you don't buy this stuff, you can still reap the benefits thanks to the people that do. You can just buy the album when it comes out next year instead of having to wait several years for him to juggle family, music career, and full time job.

Being a musician/artist is his real job. Pretty sure you want to be an artist for your real job.

He's not asking for handouts. He's not asking for free money.

The music industry obviously isn't how it used to be and artists are engaging in different avenues of turning their art into business.

He didn't just appear last year and start asking for money to fund his project. Bazan has been making music and building a fanbase since the early 90's. And is now asking that fanbase to help him make more music, music that they clearly enjoy.

yeah, who said he wants a handout? in the end, you are getting your moneys worth. i would understand if he was asking like $100 but its $40 dollars for a record, tshirt, $5 in credit, and your name in the linear notes.

how is that a hand out? i think it comes out to a pretty fuckin good deal.

In the art world plenty of people pay for commissioned works. They pay you up front to do some work for them. This is essentially the same thing, just a different medium, a different form.

Maybe once you have been doing your art for almost two decades you'll have a following of sorts and people will pay you for pieces you haven't even made yet and you'll be able to make a living off of it. But until then you are allowed to sit on the internet during your 9-5 job and cry about the people that do what you wish you could.

again, i reiterate. i wish i had the luxury of asking people to fund my art for me. instead, i work 8:30-5 every week day in an office to fund my art. maybe i'm just bitter. who knows.

Work your ass off with that real job and make 8 other amazing records and establish a fanbase over 15 years, and maybe you can have that luxury. Who knows?

In the art world plenty of people pay for commissioned works. They pay you up front to do some work for them. This is essentially the same thing, just a different medium, a different form.

Maybe once you have been doing your art for almost two decades you'll have a following of sorts and people will pay you for pieces you haven't even made yet and you'll be able to make a living off of it. But until then you are allowed to sit on the internet during your 9-5 job and cry about the people that do what you wish you could.

yer harshin' my mellow, mannnnn!

commissioned artwork isn't really as similar to this as you're making it out to be. generally, when people commission something, they tell you what they want and you make it for them. this is you giving this dude money for something you may or may not like or enjoy, that he's not making explicitly for you. just sayin'.

Commissioned probably wasn't the best word. Anyways, that's not always the case. One of my good friends is a fairly successful painter. He has a waiting list for his work. Paintings that go for tens of thousands of dollars. He doesn't take requests. You just essentially get whatever he is working on. And you pay in advance.

Commissioned probably wasn't the best word. Anyways, that's not always the case. One of my good friends is a fairly successful painter. He has a waiting list for his work. Paintings that go for tens of thousands of dollars. He doesn't take requests. You just essentially get whatever he is working on. And you pay in advance.

it doesn't work that way for about 95% of struggling studio artists out there. your friend is a rare exception.

Drabley was never good at math.

Quite contrary. Drabley is a math wizard.

As for paying for "art" in advance like is being discussed -- they have that arrangement in the music world already -- it's called a record label. Sounds like Bazan already exploited that avenue and is looking for additional marks to subsidize his genius.

Lame.

it doesn't work that way for about 95% of struggling studio artists out there. your friend is a rare exception.

Speaking of math... wouldn't that be 100% of struggling studio artists? I mean, you wouldn't be struggling if you were getting paid big bucks in advance...

See: math wizard, just like I said.

As for paying for "art" in advance like is being discussed -- they have that arrangement in the music world already -- it's called a record label. Sounds like Bazan already exploited that avenue and is looking for additional marks to subsidize his genius.

The music industry obviously isn't how it used to be and artists are engaging in different avenues of turning their art into business.

Speaking of math... wouldn't that be 100% of struggling studio artists? I mean, you wouldn't be struggling if you were getting paid big bucks in advance...

See: math wizard, just like I said.

this is why you do the math and i have a degree in fine art ;]