Help David Bazan make a record

AlexH.

http://www.davidbazan.com/2010/11/i-helped-bazan-make-a-record/

David is making a new album right now! The songs are all there, recording is underway! We are shooting for a Spring 2011 release. Barsuk gave him dough to pay for dudes to play on the record and some gear upgrades to make it sound great. But in order to focus his full attention on recording (so he doesn’t take three years like he did with “Curse Your Branches”) we need to keep him at home as much as possible until he’s finished recording the album. That’s a little tricky because a significant part of his income comes from touring.

So we came up with a plan to raise funds for anyone who wants to help out. Here’s the deal:

$35 gets you:

1. Limited Edition “I Helped Bazan Make A Record” T-shirt.

2. A pre-order of Bazan’s “Strange Negotiations” CD (delivery date TBA)

3. Your name in the liner notes of “Strange Negotiations”.

4. $5 coupon good towards purchase of Bazan merchandise at any show.

$40 gets you:

1. Limited Edition “I Helped Bazan Make A Record” T-shirt.

2. A pre-order of Bazan’s “Strange Negotiations” Vinyl LP (delivery date TBA)

3. Your name in the liner notes of “Strange Negotiations”.

4. $5 coupon good towards purchase of Bazan merchandise at any show.

It's basically a Kickstarter where he takes your money no matter what. I think I'll wait for the actual album release.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Bazan fanboy #1, I now feel compelled to defend the guy in this thread that I made. Whatever reduces the time between full-lengths to less than 5 years is fine by me if people are willing to buy it. Plus, $40 - $15 LP - $15 T-shirt - $5 of merch = basically throwing $5 at the guy to make another album. I'd do it if I had $40 to throw around.

wasn't he getting paid like $25+ a head for his living room performances last year? 40-45 people per gig, 20+ gigs. i think he is doing just fine, financially. unless he blew it all on beard combs and limited edition bibles.

The house shows were $20, I think. That's only about $16K minus travel expenses, and he's got a family to support. Also, dude is far from Christian at this point, and it's been that way for a few years. Look up the lyrics for his last album.

wasn't he getting paid like $25+ a head for his living room performances last year? 40-45 people per gig, 20+ gigs. i think he is doing just fine, financially. unless he blew it all on beard combs and limited edition bibles.

you just sound ignorant. like alexh said, he is FAR from christian now, and yes, he has 2 kids to support, so i dont see how this is so outlandish of a deal.

the only music related kickstarter i have backed (UFB) is because they are one of my favorite local bands of all time. while i don't necessarily agree with the path the label is taking to get to the pressing, i really want the album on vinyl asap.

i don't give a shit what religion he is, if any. that comment was made in passing as a joke, and if you take offense to it then blow me. having two kids to support is also a moot point, if he actually has a job (which i assume he does, if only seasonal) then he should be able to support them through that, instead of depending on the music he makes to feed the mouths of four people. that is just ludicrous. why is the label not going to give him more money, and why is it up to the people to give him money to make sure he is "at home as much as possible until he’s finished recording the album." just seems like a lazy cash grab to me.

cash grab or not, I'm for it. I understand the backlash for Kickstarter and the like from veterened DIY label heads....but with this economy, and this tool available....why take such a financial risk? Puting all your money on the line for a tour to go play some shows is one thing, but puting all your money on the line for a product that may not be well recieved and leave you broke with no memories other than failure just seem assanine. though I'm sure all of our veterned DIY label heads wouldn't trade scraping the bottom of the barrel to put out a release...I feel that most people interested in puting out music would like to get it out there without any sort of risk.

went to one of the Bazan house shows, it did feel weird paying $20 to see the guy in a living room...but it was a damn good show.

as mentioned...the dude has a family to look after....he also has a decent following, if the only way to make both facets of his life shine equally is by asking his fans for money to keep the music flowing and keep a roof over his family's head and food on their table, then more power to him

the only music related kickstarter i have backed (UFB) is because they are one of my favorite local bands of all time. while i don't necessarily agree with the path the label is taking to get to the pressing, i really want the album on vinyl asap.

i don't give a shit what religion he is, if any. that comment was made in passing as a joke, and if you take offense to it then blow me. having two kids to support is also a moot point, if he actually has a job (which i assume he does, if only seasonal) then he should be able to support them through that, instead of depending on the music he makes to feed the mouths of four people. that is just ludicrous. why is the label not going to give him more money, and why is it up to the people to give him money to make sure he is "at home as much as possible until he’s finished recording the album." just seems like a lazy cash grab to me.

didnt say i took offense, just said you sound ignorant. and if it was a joke, well, ok then, but it was a poor one at that.

Guest errolwest

so the dude wants some money, so what? if youre a fan and really want to hear the album, give the dude some money, if you dont want to hear it that badly? dont. its pretty simple, i think.

i probably wont donate, but thats just because i have no burning desire. if he wants to ask his fans for a bit of help, he has every right too.

Also, if this was a band/album i really cared about, or wanted to hear, i totally would donate.

I feel that most people interested in puting out music would like to get it out there without any sort of risk.

Are you for real?

I feel that most people interested in doing anything would like to do so without any sort of risk.

Talk to any of the hundreds of thousands of failed business owners that went out on personal and financial limbs to follow their entrepreneurial spirit about this wanker who wants to play his guitar... see what they think about risk.

I feel that most people interested in puting out music would like to get it out there without any sort of risk.

Are you for real?

I feel that most people interested in doing anything would like to do so without any sort of risk.

Talk to any of the hundreds of thousands of failed business owners that went out on personal and financial limbs to follow their entrepreneurial spirit about this wanker who wants to play his guitar... see what they think about risk.

QFT

This dude needs to get a real job and suck it up. This is more a slap in the face of other mid-level bands that struggle and save and essentially live homeless to go on tour and perform than anything.

If you have a family, with kids, your job is to provide for them, by any means necessary. Asking for a hand-out is not a realistic way to do that. This has nothing to do with running a DIY label, this is just a sign of laziness and pure entitlement.

Are you for real?

QFT

This dude needs to get a real job and suck it up. This is more a slap in the face of other mid-level bands that struggle and save and essentially live homeless to go on tour and perform than anything.

If you have a family, with kids, your job is to provide for them, by any means necessary. Asking for a hand-out is not a realistic way to do that. This has nothing to do with running a DIY label, this is just a sign of laziness and pure entitlement.

amen.

You clearly do not understand the concept of a handout.

You clearly do not understand the concept of a handout.

However you'd like to slice this it amounts to bullshit. "Help me sleep in every day and I'll write you a song." Bullshit.

Next time I give a dollar to a panhandler, I'm going to demand a tee shirt that says I helped a hobo catch a buzz.