Help David Bazan make a record

AlexH.

• 2 months later...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest markovianprocess
The alternative is use the money the label gave him, but also have to work a real job to support his family. He'd just work on the record when he has spare time. And it would take another five years like the last one. OR some people can buy a tshirt and whatever and he can support his family and spend all his free time on the record that would've taken years, in a matter of months.

He's not forcing money out of anyone. If you don't buy this stuff, you can still reap the benefits thanks to the people that do. You can just buy the album when it comes out next year instead of having to wait several years for him to juggle family, music career, and full time job.

...but that's why this would have been better as a kickstarter. If only 20 people were to buy this, that isn't really going to be "enough" to let him finish his album promptly. Having a service that takes the money before hitting a certain numerical goal is a bit silly.

right about 1025 people... and no Brent Lakes! Must've used a pseudonym.

Make no mistake. My name should be on the list. I was one of the first people to order. I emailed them. I never got my shirt either. Apparently Paypal had some issues and didn't send all the orders in.

Was glad to give the guy $40. He writes phenomenal music, poignant lyrics that deal with personal themes (relationships, religion, family) in the most insightful way, and just happens to be one of the nicest people I have ever met in my 30 years on this earth.

Of all the people to sit on his/her ass and rake in the dough, it's not this guy. Hell, he was killing with tours and record sales at the height of Pedro the Lion. But because he didn't want to seem disingenuous when he no longer accepted the tenants of Christianity, he dropped the PTL name, partly to separate himself from it and to not to lead people on in believing that he still felt the same way. This meant losing record and tour sales simply because the correlation between Bazan and PTL wasn't there.

If the guy really wanted to just sit at home and not work, he'd reworked PTL and done the same thing. There would have easily been 5,000 preorders.

Joan Of Arc did this too. I for one think it's a great idea.

Think about it like this: we pay taxes because we expect certain services in return. We are forced to pay, but are never guaranteed the services we were promised. There are all sorts of loopholes officials use to get around doing what they are supposed to do, but you have very little in the way of recourse.

And you NEVER get any good music out of it. So I'm all for people voluntarily subsidizing the music they like. Considering all the shitty garbage we're forced to pay for or tricked into buying, this ain't so bad.

• 5 weeks later...