labels who license stuff-word of WARNING

xgrantx

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing against you enjoytheride, but I wouldn't even consider sinking money into licensing and releasing a record without talking to the band first. If you tried to contact them and they blew you off, maybe that means they have no interest in having the record pressed. Personally I would care more about respecting the wishes of the people who created the music rather than whoever "owns the rights" to it.
Yep this guy knows what's up. Regardless of legal rights, if you're a big fan of this band you wouldn't take something into your own hands like this without their full support. If they "blow you off" tough shit. That means it's a no go. I would be pissed too if someone was re-releasing songs I wrote as a teenager, that no longer represent what my band is today.

Nothing against you enjoytheride, but I wouldn't even consider sinking money into licensing and releasing a record without talking to the band first. If you tried to contact them and they blew you off, maybe that means they have no interest in having the record pressed. Personally I would care more about respecting the wishes of the people who created the music rather than whoever "owns the rights" to it.
Yep this guy knows what's up. Regardless of legal rights, if you're a big fan of this band you wouldn't take something into your own hands like this without their full support. If they "blow you off" tough shit. That means it's a no go. I would be pissed too if someone was re-releasing songs I wrote as a teenager, that no longer represent what my band is today.

which is why enjoytheride does what enjoytheride does, and you don't. it's a black and white problem with no-debate solution: contract, contract, contract. if the repress license was swung with out the consent of the band, then the original contract between band and label had already muted any of rxb's rights to any form of say in the first place. if the band wants to baww about that long after the fact, then they're unprofessional and don't have a grasp on how the business works.

Hey, Foxy Shazam just played Lollapalooza and is getting lots of press last I saw (despite being brutally bad). Too bad all of those LPs are probably gone via those $5 boxes by now.

i don't know, they opened for "Hole" at First Ave recently and i think they were the most entertaining part of the show. they're a band you might have to see live to appreciate at all. i still haven't heard their album but live, they weren't too bad.

This is really dumb to debate about. The band is obviously really bitter toward dtr and sees etr as a label doing business with the label they think screwed them. Most contracts don't allow a band to decide how many or how a record is released. Labels don't usually hand a band more money (especially one not currently on the label) out of the goodness of their hearts.

Sometime a band's work is better than the band. I'd love to release Places You Have Come to fear... But fuck dealing with Chris carrabba.

Hey, Foxy Shazam just played Lollapalooza and is getting lots of press last I saw (despite being brutally bad). Too bad all of those LPs are probably gone via those $5 boxes by now.

The new Foxy Shazam record is sooooo goddamn good. (Maybe because it was co-written with a shit-ton of professional songwriters.) Anyway, it's significantly better than the one that Ferret put out.

to settle this thread before it gets really effing long:

a. if you like this record, buy it.

b. if you like this record, but dont agree with the practices, dont buy it.

c. if you don't like this record but want to support the label, buy it.

d. if you don't like this record and don't agree with the practices, dont buy it.

done and done.

(i will be doing choice a.)

http://www.punknews.org/article/40546

"After news hit that Enjoy The Ride would be pressing Rx Bandits' 2001 album Progress on vinyl, the band posted a critical blog update on their Facebook Profile:

Apparently DTR is making more money from our album Progress by selling it for a vinyl pressing we were not asked nor do we get 1 cent from it, just business as usual for DTR ripping off bands.

The label has since removed the order from their website, but promises that the album will go on-sale on vinyl this Friday at 2pm."

If you are going to license and press things from other labels, make sure that you contact the band to see if they are cool with it. You don't want the band going around telling people not to buy your record.

Business is business. If they don't own the rights to the record they have no business complaining. Also, they can be sued for defamation of character if they keep up the shit talking.

Also, I don't care how "punk" you think you are, if you are in a band that has a record deal of any kind you NEED a good lawyer and a contract. The band here should have built some of this into their contract and it would have been easy to do. They should blame THEIR record label for granting the rights if they are going to blame anyone. Or how about people actually accept blame for their own mistakes, like not doing what was necessary to make sure they controlled the rights to their music.

I also want to say that this same person (Ross, Enjoy the Ride Records) is pressing my band's 4-song EP on 7" vinyl and we haven't even played a live show yet and the only following we have is from fans of our singer/guitarist's other band. For him to dish out cash to take a chance on a friend's band is a pretty awesome thing for him to do....
definitely cool. good luck patrick