labels who license stuff-word of WARNING

xgrantx

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i love ska, never liked this band. it's cool that you get to put this on vinyl. i hope it sells well for you. and really, fuck these dudes. i get that people want to make money on what they do for a living, great....but to be a winy bunch of pricks about a record that would have never seen the light of day, by a fan of the band? those dudes need to re-evaluate what they did in the past (signing with a branch off major label) and what they happen to be doing to fans of the band now.

with that said satori fucking rips!!!

and the bruce lee record Beautiful World

ps....if anyone knows the dude who pressed the bruce lee record, contact that dude, as mike park has still yet to get any copies for payment from this guy.

I don't think it's fair to blame the label licensing it but I also wouldn't blame the band for a contract they signed 11 years ago (when they were like, what 20?). It's a bummer situation but I doubt the band took licensing one of their decade old albums into account when they signed a contract.

It is their own fault for not taking it into account or hiring a lawyer who would. If the label owns the record and not the band (which is quite common) they don't have to ask the band for their blessing at all, they just have to pay them whatever their contract states (whether it is money, or product).

The band is a bunch of immature, whiny bitches if they are putting up a stink about this and also shooting themselves in the foot by telling people not to buy a record they are going to get a royalty from. Dumbasses. They should be thankful anyone even gives a shit enough about them to want their album.

Nothing against you enjoytheride, but I wouldn't even consider sinking money into licensing and releasing a record without talking to the band first. If you tried to contact them and they blew you off, maybe that means they have no interest in having the record pressed. Personally I would care more about respecting the wishes of the people who created the music rather than whoever "owns the rights" to it.

if the band has no say, the band has no say... theres plenty of releases i've been given thumbs up on by the artists... and then the label said no... and theres absolutely zero recourse... you have to remember the industry side of the music industry... if you wanna do a record you ask who owns it.

if the band has no say, the band has no say... theres plenty of releases i've been given thumbs up on by the artists... and then the label said no... and theres absolutely zero recourse... you have to remember the industry side of the music industry... if you wanna do a record you ask who owns it.

Spot on

I understand how it works. I'm just saying I have more respect for the artists interests than I do whoever owns the "rights". They are the ones who created the music after all.

I understand how it works. I'm just saying I have more respect for the artists interests than I do whoever owns the "rights". They are the ones who created the music after all.

I'm with kurtz...we need to BTMI!!! ;D

I was going after a large number of drive thru releaes and you all need to take into account that band members personal contact info more often than not isnt public...I spent 9 months of contract negotiations with richard from drive thru and once that was all signed and good to go, did i then start to try to contact the bands because up until its a done deal i didnt know what he would let me do, if anything and why waste the bands time for something that mat not happen(which ironically was why the management didnt answer, they thoguht it would fall through the cracks and richard wouldnt actually agree so she totally brushed it off and didnt respond)

so wait. you signed a contract and went through "negotiations" for 9 months without even knowing what you were going to release? what was the drive/motivation for doing that? werent you worried about having something similar to what Suburban Home / Ferret ended up with?

maybe im not a big enough fan of a label or something, but that seems like way too many hoops and uncertainty's to keep me going

PS. i hope you will be pressing all the starting line stuff. ill buy the shit out of that stuff.

so wait. you signed a contract and went through "negotiations" for 9 months without even knowing what you were going to release? what was the drive/motivation for doing that? werent you worried about having something similar to what Suburban Home / Ferret ended up with?

maybe im not a big enough fan of a label or something, but that seems like way too many hoops and uncertainty's to keep me going

PS. i hope you will be pressing all the starting line stuff. ill buy the shit out of that stuff.

what? I went though months of negotiating in order to agree on a deal that we both felt was fair in order to sign the contracts. I have no idea what happened with suburban home/ferret..anyone wanna fill me in?

As far as starting line, both ep's will be the next releases announced but keep that on the DL for now please

what? I went though months of negotiating in order to agree on a deal that we both felt was fair in order to sign the contracts. I have no idea what happened with suburban home/ferret..anyone wanna fill me in?

As far as starting line, both ep's will be the next releases announced but keep that on the DL for now please

VC wanted to release Every Time I Die and Poison the Well records, but to do this Ferret put in the contract that Ferret got to choose which releases were pressed, and the $5 Mystery Box was born.

no one asked me, but it seems if the band is (incorrectly?) bitching about how they're not getting paid, they're making it about business, and if it's about business, I'll side with the people who own the rights.

also, they make it seem like DTR had nothing to do with them making it big (are they big?), and I don't like when people don't have respect for the people who got them where they are (whether or not you like them). the record probably wouldn't exist if it weren't for a label funding them...

as it pertains to this record, I wasn't going to buy it anyway, but keep up the good work, and if you could get the rights to (FINALLY) press sundowner's "four one five two", I'd totally back you.

ps....if anyone knows the dude who pressed the bruce lee record, contact that dude, as mike park has still yet to get any copies for payment from this guy.

I will send him my copy and a fiver or maybe I can invite him over to my house and make him a small feast.

Mike Park is always getting fucked over by labels.

VC wanted to release Every Time I Die and Poison the Well records, but to do this Ferret put in the contract that Ferret got to choose which releases were pressed, and the $5 Mystery Box was born.

Haha that shit just cracks me up!

lol. ferret has (had?) a pretty solid back catalog that would have sold fairly well but the licensing was wasted on releasing (mostly) utter shit.

Your right there are still a decent amount of Ferret Records I would like to see pressed, sadly not sure that will happen for a while as Virgil tries to bounce back.

Also we play a Foxy Shazam song on our play list at work that everyone always loves (I never notice when it's on) so i guess he did well on his latest album.