Black Friday 2010

Guest markovianprocess
One holiday season we didn't have enough employees to handle all the stuff to do. I remember a few occasions where we had to leave more than a dozen full carts of merchandise to be reshelved along the back wall of the toy department (all toys/electronics items) because we ran out of time to put it away. So glad I am done with retail forever.

This sort of thing used to happen all the time in my last job before this one. Customers got so tired of hanging things up that they genuinely just started a pile in the middle of the floor. Guess who got the job of picking all of that shit up. I've got 3 more retail shifts and then I'm out of there. Just in time to actually enjoy Christmas for once.

no time! he had to get to the deals

He said on his way home though.

I got to Target at 9pm. At 11pm, I walked to my car and pissed in a bottle. The store opens at 5am. At like 4:45, I had to piss, but couldn't. And as soon as they opened the door, I had to go scoop up some deals (y'dig?), and as I was alone with a TV and some DVDs, I couldn't just leave my cart and go piss. So I decide to go to my car, unload my shit, and piss in the bottle again. Except the parking lot is SWAMPED. I'd have gone back into Target, except the line stretches across the entire parking lot. So I get in my car, and floor it. I'm headed home, hit a red light, so I get onto the freeway instead, as to keep momentum going. About a mile later, merging onto another freeway, I couldn't hold it anymore, and pissed myself. As shitty as it was, I felt beyond relieved. (Looking back, I had been freezing most of the night, and my heater doesn't work well in my car, so it wasn't all too uncomfortable of a drive post-piss.

I wish there was a place between Target and my house to piss at.

anyone know if there's gonna be a sweet deal on a nice record player anywhere?

Meijer has a 15% off item coupon. They don't sell nice turntables, only low end usb ones.

Maybe you will get lucky and amazon (or some similar store) will come out with a general coupon like this. I don't think any major store will advertise turntable deals. They are small potatoes on BF.

Frys has an awesome deal right now on a

46" Samsung LCD mode: 46C650

reg: 1300

on sale until friday: 749

It's actually better than about 95% of black friday sales for TVs so far.

That's a pretty awesome deal. But if you're able to dig up another $150, Wal Mart will have a 46" Samsung LED for $898. That's the one I'll be going for on Black Friday. Here's the TV:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-UN46C5000/13908917?wmlspartner=VJQZNxQ9nek&sourceid=01340027201969329717

Question for all you experienced Black Friday goers....what time should I show up to Wal Mart to snag a TV? They roll everything out at 5, so I was thinking about getting there at 3....or should I get there earlier?

how many do they have per store? my cousin tried to get a laptop once there and i know he waited in line at least 3 hours, and i'm not sure he even got one.

Question for all you experienced Black Friday goers....what time should I show up to Wal Mart to snag a TV? They roll everything out at 5, so I was thinking about getting there at 3....or should I get there earlier?

how many do they have per store? my cousin tried to get a laptop once there and i know he waited in line at least 3 hours, and i'm not sure he even got one.

I have no idea...the ad doesn't say. I know it usually says "minimum of ___ per store", but this ad doesn't. It just says that LED TV's are only available in select stores. Does that mean they should have plenty?

unless theyre selling tvs for $100 i wouldnt waste my time with walmart unless you like getting trampled to death. theres no rhyme or reason to how they do things. hundreds of people line up and the line doesnt matter really unless youre inside the first 10 people. once the doors open everyone pushes and shoves and everyone at the back of the line cuts around and just runs for the door. then its a mad dash through the store to the electronics department to form another line to get what you want or literally fight to stand next to the box of the electronic item you want.

on the bright side, i think some walmarts have changed the way they hadnle the flow by letting people in gradually based on the line instead of a frenzied rush, but i went to two different walmarts the past two years and they had the slugfest 100 meter dash approach. so i would call ahead and see how they do things. also call ahead to see how many they should be getting in. they may not tell you, but sometimes if they advertise something without giving a minimum, all they have to do is get one of the sale item in for the starting day of that particular sale paper. so be fore warned about that too. with the way the economy is this year, stores didnt stock pile anything waiting for black friday and didnt order a ton of merchandise ahead of black friday. i heard from multiple news outlets that black friday is not worth the hassle this year because of the economy, the inventory is not as high as previous years and you can get the same or even better deals right now or even closer to christmas.

It seems that 99% of Black Friday depends on the luck you have getting in line. Personally, if I was going to go for this, I would try getting there earlier than 3. a sub $1000 LED TV will probably be a huge must have item. Hopefully you have a plan to make the most efficient route to the electronics department to grab it.

I did the whole black friday thing for the first and last time last year.

People are just nuts. Did a Black Friday thing last year because I needed a vaccum and Best buy had a great deal.

Good part.. No one wanted a vaccum so there was plenty on stock.

Bad new Best buy was so crowded, it was hard to get in. (this was at 6 AM!). Also the vaccum was in the middle of the line, so to get it I had to deal with like hundreds of people yelling at me to stop cutting. Then it was a fight to get to the back of the line, then the 90 minute wait to check out.... In the end it was kinda BS and I didn't like it. I prefer just sleeping and shopping online like a normal person.

All in all, good luck with Walmart, Eric. I can't imagine the insanity you will have to put up with :).

Yeah I waited in last years Best Buy Black Friday line too...got there at 2 I think. I wanted a phone and a blu ray player. The only think that bugged me was how freezing it was outside. I hate the cold and I just had to stand outside for 2 hours in 30 degree weather. I know that most Wal Marts are open 24 hours...do they make you stand outside even though they're open? If I can wait inside, I have no problem waiting in line for a few hours. That LED TV is an awesome deal...I otherwise could not afford one.

I think Wal Mart should go the Best Buy route and hand out tickets for the items...that would eliminate the pushing and shoving.

Anyone know where I can get a deal on a Macbook?

This is what Best Buy has...not sure if it's a good deal or not though.

Apple 13.3" MacBook Pro w/Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD - $1,199.99

Apple iMac 21.5" All-in-One Computer w/Intel Core i3 Processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD - $1,199.99

I did WalMart like 5 years ago.. got there at 2:45am, with a huge thing of hot chocolate, I believe doors were at 5am. I was going for a laptop for $278, and was maybe 15th in line, but mostly everyone in front of me was for TVs. When we got in, they had the laptops (10-15) stacked up against a pillar, that everybody behind me ran and dove for. Some lady got thrown out of the way and elbows were thrown. I dove for mine and bear-hugged it straight to the counter. It was definitely crazy.

At Target, they line the doorbuster tv's up in shopping carts along the first main aisle down the store. Pretty good method, people file in and grab their cart (with the tv) right away and continue on.