New get up kids lp !!

icecream

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say a tour commemorating a landmark album in a bands career/genre is different than said band making a new album. I can't imagine Dashboard Confessional making a new, all-acoustic album, in the vein of Swiss Army Romance, even though he's on tour playing that album.

The recent trend of bands touring in support of an entire album, whether its a 10 year thing or just a fan-favorite is probably a cash grab, but I'd rather have a band make a mediocre album that is a reflection of them as a band currently than try to recreate something they did 12+ years ago. If TGUK made two albums after STWHA, that didn't sound like STWHA, why would they suddenly go back to that style?

First of all, Dashboard never went on a break like The Get Up Kids did. If they had and that Swiss Army tour was ALSO the comeback tour, I would have every reason, as a fan, to HOPE the new album would remind of of why I loved them in the first place. The STWHA tour did that not only for fans, but I would imagine for the band as well. I'm sure they wouldn't have reunited if they didn't have fun playing those old songs together again.

Also, what about Taking Back Sunday getting back with John Nolan? You're going to tell me a little something inside of you isn't hoping it sounds a little like Tell All Your Friends?

And did you even hear Dashboard's The Shade of Poison Trees? Or what about the extra all-acoustic disc that came with the mediocre Alter The Ending?

As someone else already said, the get up kids tour wasn't STWHA only - I've seen them like 3 or 4 times since they've gotten back together & only one night did they play STWHA in it's entirety - halloween night. They had plenty of fun playing songs from guilt show & on a wire also.

taking back sunday w/ original lineup - same thing, they played songs from the bands whole career, not just tell all yr friends, and i'm not expecting the new stuff to revert back to that old style.

dashboard - haven't really listened past a mark, a mission, etc - so thats like what 2003?

i guess you can "hope" as an old fan but i would say what i hope for is different from what i ultimately expect or imagine.

I'm still looking forward to hearing this.

And, of course it's naive to believe that these guys would make another record like STWHA, lyrically or sonically. They're in their mid-30's now, they have families, kids, etc...they're at a total different place in their lives.

I think The Get Up Kids have progressed each record. I like "Guilt Show" a lot and thought it was a fine bookend to their career. I will be sad if they get back together to just 'cash in' (which is what releasing seven different variants of a four-song EP seemed like to me). But so far this seems like a proper album that they took their time to write and they're doing a huge tour. They're a good band and they deserve all the accolades they receive.

• 2 weeks later...

picked up this today at HT and really liking it. it's definitely more rock than the guilt show was but i liked that album as well. still can't stand automatic but the rest of the album is good. sound quality is great, glad they went with a 180g pressing besides doing a shit load of colors

you know, it took me like 4 or 5 listens to really like this album too. i'm still not too keen on 'rally round the fool' and i REALLY wish they left 'keith case' off, but otherwise i think all of the tracks are pretty solid.

a great get up kids record? nah.

an interesting new release to kick off 2011? yea, i'll take it!

First song is good, the rest of the record is a snoozefest in my opinion. Also the sixty dollar vinyl order-package seems like a total waste of money. No rare variant, a bag and poster that reprint the hideous album art, an ugly shirt and some signed postcards? I wonder how many of these they will sell...