What's your greatest Ebay un-score?

poster nerds call these "failips'.

i tried to sell a copy of Hold Steady Boys and Girls on pink (before the repress) but no one would go for my buy it now.

Ya, but what was your BIN price?

i dont know, i think it got as low as 60 or so and that was with free shipping. i was also accepting offers but the never went above 30 or 40 dollars. considering what ebay and paypal takes i wasn't ready to accept those offers.

It's rough selling on ebay lately. I tend to list things around what I think they are worth if it's something I care about. If not I start the bidding low and will take whatever. Between all the fees Ebay and paypal take it's making it less fun to sell on there. Unfortunately they are the most visible option right now.

I'm with you on that.

Word.

how common do you think it is? So sellers are bidding on their items using someone else's account to jack up the price. They could get burned if they don't get a higher bid and have to eat the fees. I wonder if ebay checks to see if there is constantly the same bidder on someone's auctions. I guess a sure sign would be someone always putting up items that have "sold" before. I have been not paid before and re-listed, but that was only once.

why people got to be jerks?

In my opinion, that's why legitimate auctions are such a thrill. A record valued at $40 may sell for $10 one day, and $150 the next. If sellers are truly concerned about "eating the fees", they'll set a reserve.

The shill-bidding I'm referring to isn't the sort that "bumps" a $0.99 auction to generate interest. I'm talking about brand new accounts - the same account, even, with a whopping 2 feedback - constantly raising the price on records. Upping the ante even when said price for record is already fair or substantial. That's just greedy.

I'm all for sellers getting a fair value for their items. But they need to either set a reserve, or start the bidding at a price they can live with (in a worst case, no-bid scenario). Secretly inflating your own prices with either new accounts (or friends' accounts) is just petty.

that blows. I have never had anyone not send a record because it went too low for them, but have been worried a few times because i picked up something real cheap for whatever reason (bad listing, bad luck, etc.). That's the inherent risk of putting something up for auction - something you accept when you list it. If you want a guaranteed minimum then set a higher initial price or reserve. People win and lose everyday and sometimes you just got to eat the sh*t sandwich. Doesn't ebay frown on such practices?

That said, its better you got a refund rather then "...it must be lost in the mail."

My point exactly. I know Id be pretty pissed if it happened to me. Get a great score, and then they back out. Yeah I got the money, but I lost the great deal. Thats why I think they should have you set a reserve (free of charge) or the people set a higher price on it. It seems to be alot easier to flake as a seller then it does as a buyer.

I won a copy of Blacklisted - Heavier Than Heaven Lonlier Than God on ebay for like ten bucks...looked forward to it all day at work...and then came home to find my money refunded. It sucked.

It is lame that sellers can do this, but I guess I get why the guy did it. it isn't like this record is super rare or anything though because I saw one go a few weeks ago for around twenty bucks

my friend put up his P.TM - "Censored Colors" when it was going for around $80, and the winning bid was only like $35, so he told the guy he "accidentally dropped it and it broke" and gave him a refund. i still harass him about it all the time.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was me! Goddamn it, I was going to post this story!

It was a purple with green splatter that I won in August of last year. Got it for $37.01 and the cunt claimed that he dropped it and it got a big scratch on it.

I was gonna tell him too bad and send it anyway because I fucking KNEW he was lying but I figured I should save the money anyway and I basically pussed out on putting up the fight but I'm still pissed about that.

Is his eBay name msolitz?

If it is, tell him to fuck himself in the face for me.

I'm pretty burnt out on sellers who religiously use shill bidding. Shit's weak and should be illegal.

It is illegal or at least against their terms of use. To report it click "report item" on the right side of the screen under seller info. Then select fraudulent listings > shill bidding > continue.

My point exactly. I know Id be pretty pissed if it happened to me. Get a great score, and then they back out. Yeah I got the money, but I lost the great deal. Thats why I think they should have you set a reserve (free of charge) or the people set a higher price on it. It seems to be alot easier to flake as a seller then it does as a buyer.

I won a copy of Blacklisted - Heavier Than Heaven Lonlier Than God on ebay for like ten bucks...looked forward to it all day at work...and then came home to find my money refunded. It sucked.

It is lame that sellers can do this, but I guess I get why the guy did it. it isn't like this record is super rare or anything though because I saw one go a few weeks ago for around twenty bucks

http://deathwishinc.com/estore/product/DW70v.html

If it is in print support the label.

my friend put up his P.TM - "Censored Colors" when it was going for around $80, and the winning bid was only like $35, so he told the guy he "accidentally dropped it and it broke" and gave him a refund. i still harass him about it all the time.

It was a purple with green splatter that I won in August of last year. Got it for $37.01 and the cunt claimed that he dropped it and it got a big scratch on it.

I was gonna tell him too bad and send it anyway because I fucking KNEW he was lying but I figured I should save the money anyway and I basically pussed out on putting up the fight but I'm still pissed about that.

lol

I have watched and bid on White Stripes stuff since 2000. So I have failed at a lot as time goes by.

Live in Las Vegas 3LP set, this came up a few years back, I lost the bid and it sold for 35 or so.

It Takes Two promo, outbid at 25 bucks.

1/16 hand painted singles, I bid a few hundred, it sold for about 800. Should have just bid a grand, cause now they sell for 18K+.

Not to mention thier first single which I used to think was too expensive at 25 dollars. I kept saying, prices will go down, then a new album came out, oh its just hype, prices will go down...damn!

It is illegal or at least against their terms of use. To report it click "report item" on the right side of the screen under seller info. Then select fraudulent listings > shill bidding > continue.

Thanks for the tip. I generally just roll my eyes and hope that the bidding doesn't get too out of control... but I'm going to start reporting it from here on out, I think.

I second the lol. Love the twist of VC irony, here, but I'm sorry to hear you were scammed out of such a good buy. That's exceptionally lame. I wonder if someone genuinely has scratched / damaged / broke a record after a buyer has paid.

I sold the Andrew McMahon signed "Dear Jack" poster that came with the DVD, and donated 100% of the profits to charity. Only got $25 for it.

Granted, because it came with the DVD, it's not all that rare, but I was kinda bummed that superfans didn't come out of the wordwork who were too lazy with the pre-order.

I put up the Distillers' s/t thinking i'd get at least $40-$50 and I got like 16 bucks.

I don't really follow this band too much but isn't this record still pretty available? I have it and didn't see it for a while then all of a sudden they were everywhere. Not sure if it was a distribution issue or what.