Hobby or Habit?

There are times that I will buy all colours/variants of an LP just to see which one I like best.

For instance, the Jane Doe re-issues, I bought them all, and ended up with the Green from EVR as I liked it the best.

I like that I can also save postage to Australia when I buy more than 1 copy of stuff, and my friends end up with a record much cheaper than they would have paid for it.

I do like to have copies of the different presses though. That is more to see what changes were made to the art, if the cut sounds different or if it was remastered. For Example, I bought the Nirvana - Bleach re-issue (more so for the live LP, but I digress), and I have an original pressing too. The re-issue sounds amazing, but I also like the OG pressing to listen to, as that's how it was listened to when it came out.

I'd say my collection is bordering on a habit, as I often buy stuff I don't really like, then up up selling it on and wondering why I bought the frigging thing in the first place!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only buy records where I know there are going to be multiple variants because that's the guarantee that they'll be worth something someday. I think it's worth the loans I've taken out to afford them and worth the sacrifices I've made (downgraded to basic cable, sold most of my furniture, although I think should start eating more than just kraft dinner as I think I might be starting to get scurvy). Someday I will be able to sell all of my variants and buy a deluxe apartment in the sky.

Why not just call it a hobbit and have the best of both worlds?

I started trying to collect variants of certain bands/labels, but now I'm thinking of getting rid of everything besides my favorite copy of the record. It just makes much more sense to have that extra spending money or buy a different record instead.

I tend to kind of obsess about having all the releases from my favourite bands, but I limit myself to one copy. I pick the varient I like best and buy it and thats it, but I try to collect one of each record. That being said, I've never spent a huge amount on any single record. If I want a record, I'll keep that in the back of my mind and just wait for the right opportunity to snag it at a good price.

As I've been accused by young fucks on this board before for only buying colored variants. I openly admit that I like buying colored variants. Like a lot guys here I try and get 1 copy of the rarest color. I see no problem with that. It's not like if the rarest variant I want is sold out I won't get it on black, it all depends on how rad the album is. Sometimes I'll pay some dick on eBay a little extra to get the limited color, but it all depends on the band/album, andand only if I have the disposable income (I have a wife and 2 kids that will be taken care of first and foremost). I only own multiple variants of 2 albums, but they are very important albums to me. What it all comes down to is that people should be able to spend their money anyway they want. I strongly believe I have no right to barate someone for spending money they worked for the way they want to, let it be records, drugs, hookers, ect.

People who think of records as an investment are stupid....Thats almost as smart as the people who bought the largest house that they couldn't afford cuz it was only going to go up in value right?!?! I won't lie, I buy the record that I think will be worth the most money (rarest whatever) because I like the idea that if I had to sell it I could get the most money (I like money). But as an investment??? a down payment for a house are you people retarded? Like the one dude said...if you are looking at your record collection as a down payment for a house...then you don't know the first thing of home ownership.

Nicole...you have 21 records and 11 of them are 7 inches....You brighten my life everyday I read your idiot comments....

Being a collector at heart, I used to be really into variants and the like. At one point there were a handful of bands that I was hell bent on having a complete discography. I finally came to my senses and would rather allocate my $ towards expanding my album arsenal opposed to 10+ variants of the same music. In turn, I've been selling all of my variants, keeping the rarest, and using the earned money to buy new records I don't own. I love my self-sustaining record habit :D

I only buy records where I know there are going to be multiple variants because that's the guarantee that they'll be worth something someday. I think it's worth the loans I've taken out to afford them and worth the sacrifices I've made (downgraded to basic cable, sold most of my furniture, although I think should start eating more than just kraft dinner as I think I might be starting to get scurvy). Someday I will be able to sell all of my variants and buy a deluxe apartment in the sky.

[image]

Make sure you guys make another thread when to have a reality check and find out your records aren't worth anything. I think you are forgetting that the price of a record has to do with the music on it first and the rarity second. Sorry but in ten years no one is going to care about a bunch of dumbshit pop punk records no matter how many it's limited to. You can't argue with the ten copes of one album vs ten different albums debate. If your record shelf looks like someones distro storage you are doing it wrong.

Being a collector at heart, I used to be really into variants and the like. At one point there were a handful of bands that I was hell bent on having a complete discography. I finally came to my senses and would rather allocate my $ towards expanding my album arsenal opposed to 10+ variants of the same music. In turn, I've been selling all of my variants, keeping the rarest, and using the earned money to buy new records I don't own. I love my self-sustaining record habit :D

I was/am the same, with the exception of selling the variants off. So now I just buy one copy.

I will admit that I used to buy into that VC/no idea color-craze, but I've grown wiser. So yeah. One copy. In the end, it is all about the music.

I'll collect variants from bands I give a shit about. Gaslight Anthem, New Found Glory, and that's probably it. If I like a band enough, I'll try to get all the colors because like someone said, if you buy it new from the band, they get that money (which is what I did for the new Fake Problems LP, 'cause I love it, and I wanted to give the band some more money because I find them to be pretty solid dudes).

Others? I'll try to get the rarest color/variant if it's available, but a lot of time, if I want something on vinyl, I'll get it on whatever I can.

I'm not picky. I do this because I enjoy it. If you take it took seriously, like the Vault member who said "fuck you" to Jack White, you need to reevaluate your life.

I am a proud variant collector. But I keep all my variants out of my normal listening collection and typically only listen to the least rare of my collection.

If I enjoy something I will buy every copy available unless its just impossible.

ninja edit:

Before its asked. Why do I have multiples of records I don't listen to?

Because I want to

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':eix25v36]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':eix25v36]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{