Hobby or Habit?

Following certain bands, I've amassed numerous replications of the same records on different colors/mixes, pressings etc.

Hard to stop when you start and I see the path leads to just wasting money that could go to better places.

As an experiment, took every variant I had and put them in a box.

Having only one copy of a record makes it mean more to me.

Discussion follow please.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having multiple copies of the same record doesn't do much for me. That being said, I try my best to get the most limited version of each record I buy so I'm probably as guilty as the guy that buys 25 versions of Reinventing Axl Rose. No matter how rare the record is, I always play the shit out of them and enjoy them for what they are.

It took me forever to realize it went from a hobby to a habit. The color vinyl versions were always a must have for me but that was when there was usually only one color option. Three versions would be considered a lot. Once the Alkaline Trio reissues came out, it was a reality check. I tried for a while, but realized it took the fun out of it.

Trying to find the color copies was fun; trying to keep up with all the color copies is not.

These days I'm beginning to get more disgruntled with how terrible the sound quality of records can be. Not a new issue by any means, but I swear it seems like it's getting worse.

Personally, every time I spend a bit of bucks on a record I think of it as an investment. I can't see myself hanging onto this collection forever and I may cash in one day.

I think this is the distinguishing characteristic between music fan and collector. Some of us view it like an investment portfolio, which is fine, but it has nothing to do with why I buy records.

I try to only carry multiples of bands that have some greater meaning for me. Even then, I feel kind of dumb when I'm buying multiple versions of the same record. I mean, collecting variants is stupid when you get down to it.

On the other hand, I will absolutely spring for record with a different mix or different version(s) of the same song(s) (e.g., first Career Suicide LP out of 100).

Personally, every time I spend a bit of bucks on a record I think of it as an investment. I can't see myself hanging onto this collection forever and I may cash in one day.
I think this is the distinguishing characteristic between music fan and collector. Some of us view it like an investment portfolio, which is fine, but it has nothing to do with why I buy records.

I agree completely. I can't wrap my head around seeing a record collection as an investment. I have a connection to the music and the bands that I have collected over the years that goes beyond monetary value. I just don't see my collection as something to be sold, I see it as something to be enjoyed and appreciated.

I only buy two copies when there are cool variant/I REALLY love the album. I know one day I'll probably sell off a big part of my collection because I need a down payment on a house or some shit like that and I want to make sure I can have certain albums still.

big laughs at thinking your get up kids/lifetime/bronx/have heart/etc records will afford you a down payment

I only buy two copies when there are cool variant/I REALLY love the album. I know one day I'll probably sell off a big part of my collection because I need a down payment on a house or some shit like that and I want to make sure I can have certain albums still.

big laughs at thinking your get up kids/lifetime/bronx/have heart/etc records will afford you a down payment

a man can dream, can't he?

when did i say it would afford me a down payment???

All I'm saying is a down payment can be anywhere from 3-10k.

If I sell my collection and get like $750 (I'm fucking guessing a figure here) that DOES help towards a down payment whether you agree or not. Buying an extra copy of an album for $12 just in case I want to sell it later on makes sense, assuming i will get the $12 and potentially a little more.

It's like putting the money in the bank, I will most likely at least get my money back, so in the future i will have that $12 still will the possibility of it being more than $12. Better than spending $12 on fucking weed or some shit. I'm spending the money and in turn supporting indie labels and bands and getting something awesome in return that will in the end not make me lose money. Much more fun to do this rather than just put $12 in my bank account every time i want a record. Oh Bronx IV just came out...hmmm i better not buy, I'll just put the money i was going to spend on it in the bank, it's safer that way.

You are a moron. Don't make it sound like I'm claiming I'm going to BUY A FUCKING HOUSE with my collection. Simply said it will be sold with the money going towards a down payment, and that's probably the only time I'd sell my collection because I'm good with my money. Man that post was so ignorant...

*I'm well aware I don't have many records worth big bucks, but I also only buy bands I enjoy, and don't plan anything out/try to plan flipping a certain record. You can tell when an album is going to go for a lot on ebay when it's a bigger band and there's only a limited press (obv.). I also don't spend copious amounts of money because of this, therefore making my purchases perfect for me. I get to enjoy bands I love for years on vinyl, and then maybe one day i will sell my collection and get my money back for my purchases. Done.

I collect variants of my favorite artists. I justify it by assuming that the artists at least get some cut of each record sold. And this satisfies my need to collect things. That's the biggest manisfestation of my OCD... I've always collected things. I limit my collecting to my favorite artists and I play each and every album I purchase. I ignore the snotty "you're not in for the music" types because they don't understand that I chose to concentrate on collecting things that I love. I first started buying vinyl as a novelty. And I didn't collect them. But the more I listened the more I grew to love the larger album art, reading the liner notes/lyric sheets and the physical act of playing a record while listening with headphones in my apt. And with playing on a crappy player I didn't even notice the improvement in sound quality at first. When I first started actually collecting I would also buy multiples of records I may not have been a huge fan of but loved the colors. I've gotten away from that because with soo many cool looking color combos now (as proven in the "Favorite color" thread) that get out of control. And I have no problems with labels issueing limited pressings in an effort to make money. It's still a business and the increase in popularity and sales is what makes this increase in vinyl production possible. You gotta take the good with the bad.