shitty virgil situation

podface

I wouldn't boycott a business because of something the owner's friend did. Judge everyone for their own actions. Same would go for any of the artists associated with those labels.

I'm sure these people aren't thinking "Virgil is a tragic hero and everyone should love him and forget about the past." They are thinking "I have always wanted to own a club/label or to make music people want to hear, and I'm just gonna do whatever I can to make that happen." Regardless of Virgil's terrible decisions, I'm sure the guy knows a lot about the industry from experience and isn't going to make the same terrible mistakes twice.

Soo I say eat there, guilt free.

I wouldn't boycott a business because of something the owner's friend did. Judge everyone for their own actions. Same would go for any of the artists associated with those labels.

I'm sure these people aren't thinking "Virgil is a tragic hero and everyone should love him and forget about the past." They are thinking "I have always wanted to own a club/label or to make music people want to hear, and I'm just gonna do whatever I can to make that happen." Regardless of Virgil's terrible decisions, I'm sure the guy knows a lot about the industry from experience and isn't going to make the same terrible mistakes twice.

ORR... the guy is ridiculously shady and keeps getting away with it. There are a LOT of people in this world, most have no idea who this guy is. He will ALWAYS be able to find someone to take advantage of.

I doubt it will effect my burrito consumption.  I'm more of a Qdoba guy anyway

There was a thread for Virgil's "new" release (vinyl pressing of a CD he put out last year), it's just been buried. And the Greater Than Collective thing has been going on for over a year. There's a thread about that too, but after the format switch, it's a pain to find really old threads.

ORR... the guy is ridiculously shady and keeps getting away with it. There are a LOT of people in this world, most have no idea who this guy is. He will ALWAYS be able to find someone to take advantage of.

It's the way things work in America. When a business fails, people walk away, creditors get shafted, people are unhappy. But at the end of the day, you just try and move on and do something good with your life. Starting another record label and calling it "Greater Than Collective" is probably wrong and shitty. But I just don't think you blacklist someone and their business partners without evidence that they are doing something malicious in new endeavors.

Check out the numbers in this article (I know it is foxnews.com/opinion, but I doubt it's all spin). Think of the thousands of dollars in taxes you have paid that have gone to bail out corporations from shitty decisions (TARP especially). Think about why your interest rate on credit cards is 20%+ (because they have to charge you enough to cover money they lose in bankruptcies). We wipe their slate clean, give them a slap on the wrist (no more credit for a while for individuals or government intervention on big businesses), and move forward. There's just not really any better solution unless you favor rewriting laws to put debtors in prison.

I guess my point is, this shit happens all the time and we just collectively eat it as a society and move on. Maybe we should have created a bailout fund amongst ourselves to help Toby and not make him bear the entire brunt of it...

from their IG

Not following the traditional label model, Greater Than Collective works with a small selection of artists & offers them help with anything they need. http://greaterthancollective.tumblr.com/

also, im genuinely bummed i actually really like that epilogues band. want to support them but not their label :/