I think Apple is destroying my music files

oakland

It's just too coincidental that ONLY music I've downloaded illegally or I've received as a promo prior to release keeps disappearing from my iTunes. Even the root folders are gone. I know others of you have had this problem. What do you think? Does Apple have a black-ops program to seek and destroy illegally downloaded music?

Here's the other thing: I have NEVER downloaded a record I don't already own on vinyl. Call me old fashion, but I don't think stealing music is fair to bands, especially since I'm friends with so many of them.

Install some sort of monitoring software ala snort to monitor all of your music files and see what's happening to them. or find a free file/partition recovery application

I doubt very much that Apple is destroying your music files, though. It'd help to know what your setup is.. laptop, desktop, mac, pc, where are your music files stored, external drive or not, how old is the drive, have you run diagnostics, etc.

I highly doubt Apple is covertly deleting your shit. They have no way to know how you're receiving your music. Just because it isn't through iTunes doesn't mean it was obtained illicitly.

I mean imagine the fallout from such actions. Nobody would use iTunes, Apple's cash cow, anymore. They'd never do it.

I don't think Apple is deleting your music, but I have noticed that if you have a lot of music loaded into your library, itunes has a shit-awful time at keeping track of it, resulting in a lot of stuff with (!) beside it. I've had this problem for awhile now too, since i upgraded to the newest itunes (10 i think?)

iTunes is a terrible media player and I have never fully grasped why people use it.

I understand disliking it, but you've got to either be retarded or oblivious to not see why people use it.

(I wasn't originally going to call you retarded, however when I realized this was my 10,000th post, I figured I had to spice it up a bit)

iTunes is a terrible media player and I have never fully grasped why people use it.

It's got a great tool for organizing your music folders automatically. I got into it bc of my ipod, and now even after all my ipods have stopped working, I still use iTunes as my main media player, solely because of how well it can organize my music

I agree it's not the best media player, but there are valid reasons why people do use it, hence its popularity.

Winamp can organize it in much the same fashion as can Foobar and many other media players. Organizing music automatically isn't an iTunes exclusive thing.

I understand disliking it, but you've got to either be retarded or oblivious to not see why people use it.

(I wasn't originally going to call you retarded, however when I realized this was my 10,000th post, I figured I had to spice it up a bit)

It's used because marketing and lack of well known competition has rendered it the most popular one. Everything it does it does poorly in comparison to other players.

there is a 90% chance all of your music files are still on your computer and are either buried in an iTunes Music file inside of an iTuned Music file (if you use the automatic filing thing), or CDDB is ALWAYS classifying single band albums as compilations. Check the Compilations folder. Check the Unknown folder. it's all there, i'm sure, you just need to hunt.

You probably have the option checked to let iTunes organize your music. Someone mentioned this above. iTunes will take all the files you import and it puts them in a folder and it keeps it all nice and tidy.

iTunes takes a lot of heat, but it doesn't really deserve all of the trash talk. For what it is it's great, it keeps your songs in an easy to use to program. You can search, make playlists, sync your iDevices, etc... It's just a bit clunky these days. They really need to re-write the program from the ground up. iTunes has its flaws, but I still enjoy using it.

iTunes takes a lot of heat, but it doesn't really deserve all of the trash talk. For what it is it's great, it keeps your songs in an easy to use to program. You can search, make playlists, sync your iDevices, etc... It's just a bit clunky these days. They really need to re-write the program from the ground up. iTunes has its flaws, but I still enjoy using it.
This. I have never understood the hate for iTunes either. I actually tried an alternative (Songbird) a year or so ago. And while it ran a bit smoother and snappier than Apple's player, Songbird just didn't do things in the same way as iTunes. And some of those things have become essential to the way I organize and experience my music library. I'm sure there are "better" options available, but iTunes works, it works pretty well, and I don't have to spend extra time getting it to sync properly with my iPod.

To the original poster: clearly you have some misconceptions as to how computers work. It is quite literally impossible for a company like Apple to access your file system through iTunes and delete your files. If Apple was doing such a thing, I'm pretty sure it would be international news and we would all know about it. Even if it was possible, there's no way for anyone to sort a "pirated" music file from a legitimate one created with a CD. Both are DRM free and both look the same. So sorry. What has most likely happened is that you imported the files to iTunes, and accidentally deleted the source files or something. 99% of computer problems are user error.

Install some sort of monitoring software ala snort to monitor all of your music files and see what's happening to them. or find a free file/partition recovery application

I doubt very much that Apple is destroying your music files, though. It'd help to know what your setup is.. laptop, desktop, mac, pc, where are your music files stored, external drive or not, how old is the drive, have you run diagnostics, etc.

there is a 90% chance all of your music files are still on your computer and are either buried in an iTunes Music file inside of an iTuned Music file (if you use the automatic filing thing), or CDDB is ALWAYS classifying single band albums as compilations. Check the Compilations folder. Check the Unknown folder. it's all there, i'm sure, you just need to hunt.

That's another thing. There's a shitload of music in the unknown file. There's no way to figure out what the tracks go to. I don't do the auto filing thing.